PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Different types of iPhones and how to identify them? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=103800)

samezoobi 12-30-2009 01:43 AM

Different types of iPhones and how to identify them?

Hi

There are different versions of the iPhone and I recently bought one. I dont know what version it is though. I have a friend who said if the back of the iPhone is black you have a version 3. I saw the new iPhones 3G-S have a white backing to it. I recall seeing previous versions of the iPhone having a mirror back. Can someone help me clarify this?Thanks in advance.

CyberMonkey 12-30-2009 10:46 AM

Re: Different types of iPhones and how to identify them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by samezoobi (Post 1447267)
Hi

There are different versions of the iPhone and I recently bought one. I dont know what version it is though. I have a friend who said if the back of the iPhone is black you have a version 3. I saw the new iPhones 3G-S have a white backing to it. I recall seeing previous versions of the iPhone having a mirror back. Can someone help me clarify this?Thanks in advance.

Are you talking the size of the storage space for the iPhones?
It says it on the back of the device, it will say 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. It will also state "iPhone", "iPhone 3G" or "iPhone 3GS".
To my knowlege the color really doesn't matter, it would only matter if they made certain model available in a different color.
If you are talking about the firmware version, then go to "setting" then "general" and then "about" and your firmware version will be listed there. firmare version does not matter at all for the different colors or models.

JunkionMarnot 01-03-2010 04:07 PM

Re: Different types of iPhones and how to identify them?

The original iPhone has a two-tone aluminum back/black plastic bottom, as well as the name "iPhone" followed by the memory size; i.e. 8GB or 16GB (or the VERY FIRST 4GB now discontinued). The iPhone 3G and 3GS follow the same naming pattern but now have a full solid color (black or white) back. These are available in 8GB/16GB for 3G, and 16GB/32GB for the 3GS. They look identical, save for the text color tint on the back. According to Apple (I think), the difference is the older 3G has lighter text,whereas they changed to a heavier text to improve visibility as well as differentiate the two 3G devices. As the earlier poster said to check firmware version go to: Settings> General> About and freely scroll the page to see all your phone info. Hope this helps.

Note: A few sidenotes. First the iPhone 3G/3GS' backs differ from the original iPhone (called 2G) because of the 3G radio inside. The 3G radio would've had interferance issues with the 2G's aluminum back so they switched to plastic. Also from this you can guess that's why they call the original "2G". Another difference is firmware. If you're not sure if you have a 3G or 3GS (figuring you don't have the box or thus bought it 3rd party unboxed) check the firmware version using the directions above. If you're still at ANY version 2.X, most likely you have a 3G. The physical difference in the 2G & 3G/3GS will say if it's either or. Ok I've said enough. For more info on the iPhone, go to Apple's home at apple.com or google it.