PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Android Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Sprint; Hero/Moment Pros & Cons (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96942)

clockcycle 11-16-2009 06:46 PM

Sprint; Hero/Moment Pros & Cons

How are you guys coping with the HTC Hero's lag? especially with the dialer? I was surprised that the dialer was as laggy as my Touch Pro's, delays while touching the numbers, it should be the quick most robust feature of a "phone", kinda disappointing IMHO.

It makes for another + going for a Moment instead with it's dual core OS Samsung CPU / Phone portion handled by Qualcomm..

What's your opinions?

-CC

horndoctor 11-16-2009 08:03 PM

Re: Sprint; Phone / Dialing Lag

Have you tried turning off dialer key tones?

dmora01 11-16-2009 09:12 PM

With HTC you always have to turn off something to make it work](*,).
Moment simple works!!!:headbang:

clockcycle 11-17-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmora01 (Post 1335313)
With HTC you always have to turn off something to make it work](*,).
Moment simple works!!!:headbang:

Yea, um people site all the add features and benefits of the HERO. That need to be turned off to make the phone usable..

Yeah have to turn off the contact search and the vibration to dial with less lag.

Ok good, at least I am not the only one that noticed this.

Sense UI, 7 Home screens, what's with the scrolling lag? What has to be turned down or off to help with that?

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the Hero, it's pretty, pretty annoying that it's still using hardware specs of the Vogue..

It is super light in weight. The roller ball is easier to control the scrolling speed than the touch pad, but I'm sure it's a learning curve. Asked the guys displaying it, if it had a setting to adjust the sensitivity, he couldn't find it on the Moment.

The Hero's on screen KB was just as difficult to type on, had to calibrate it. Then if I did it for one handed operation using my right, when using my left it got the wrong letters..

Moment's KB, what are people talking about the keys are flat and you can't tell if you're on another letter? How fat are your fingers you can't feel the rise and contours? Yes the placement is a bit weird comming from other sliders, takes a bit of getting used to.

-CC

clockcycle 11-17-2009 04:44 PM

Re: Sprint; Hero/Moment Pros & Cons

Moment has a S3C6410 processor features a built-in, state-of-the-art 3D, 4M triangles/sec hardware accelerator with OpenGL ES 1.1/ 2.0 and D3DM API support.

wonder if any games or devs are taking advantage of this?

obelisk79 11-18-2009 01:46 AM

Here is a perfect example of why no competitor can best the iphone in this market. And believe me, I'm no apple fanboy. I actually really enjoy my sprint hero. However, some android phones have gfx acceleration and some some do not? There needs to be a clear minimum hardware requirement between the phone companies in order to gain more ground. Let software, appearance and the little extra bells and whistle type features (ie proximity sensor) be the different selling points on these things. Just a thought/rant!

clockcycle 11-18-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obelisk79 (Post 1339403)
Here is a perfect example of why no competitor can best the iphone in this market. And believe me, I'm no apple fanboy. I actually really enjoy my sprint hero. However, some android phones have gfx acceleration and some some do not? There needs to be a clear minimum hardware requirement between the phone companies in order to gain more ground. Let software, appearance and the little extra bells and whistle type features (ie proximity sensor) be the different selling points on these things. Just a thought/rant!

I understand where you're coming from, but there is a minimum standard. It's when the manufacturer gives you more that makes that brand model stand above the rest. more ROM/RAM, faster CPU, larger Screen, FM Radio, and it's why Android phones "whale" over iWhat? It has a monopoly and no competition.

anther 11-21-2009 01:34 PM

I wondering between the two which one is the favorite Hero/ Moment? It seems that more ppl are getting the Hero, but there is something about having that keyboard.

dB Zac 11-23-2009 11:43 AM

I didn't end up getting the moment, instead I got the droid and jumped ship all together. I felt like all the phone reviewers I trust were not really paying any attention the the moment witch made me suspicious. I do however have some things to say about the Hero.
1st off build quality was good, and the UI overlay (Sense) was amazing. Sense was so good in fact that I found my self trying to ignore the massive short comings of the hardware it self. Like so many others have said, the lag is horrible, the hardware is on the low side of what is the standard right now and will soon be obsolete and I don't want to be stuck with a phone that I know is not going to be able to hold a candle to the others in a year let alone 2 years when the contract is up.
2nd, the battery life was also vary last year. there are phones that can last 2 days of moderate use and my Hero could not do one full day. At 1st it could barely do 8 hours and then I removed the SMS widget and changed some setting to get about 12 hours out of it if I watched my web time and didnt use the GPS at all. I just couldn't hang with that.
3rd thing may seem minor to most but coupled with the battery life issues I feel it is a huge oversight is the lack of a proximity sensor. This is another feature that will soon be standard (look at the aris) and it may have helped the battery life enough to make it tolerable.
The Droids not perfect but its by far a better piece of hardware and software can be improved in the coarse of ownership in a few different ways (3rd party apps, OE updates, cooked roms, ported UI's). That and the fact that the Moment seemed to be getting over looked for a mystery reason steered me to the droid and away from the Hero

clockcycle 11-23-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dB Zac (Post 1354244)
I didn't end up getting the moment, instead I got the droid and jumped ship all together. I felt like all the phone reviewers I trust were not really paying any attention the the moment witch made me suspicious. I do however have some things to say about the Hero.
1st off build quality was good, and the UI overlay (Sense) was amazing. Sense was so good in fact that I found my self trying to ignore the massive short comings of the hardware it self. Like so many others have said, the lag is horrible, the hardware is on the low side of what is the standard right now and will soon be obsolete and I don't want to be stuck with a phone that I know is not going to be able to hold a candle to the others in a year let alone 2 years when the contract is up.
2nd, the battery life was also vary last year. there are phones that can last 2 days of moderate use and my Hero could not do one full day. At 1st it could barely do 8 hours and then I removed the SMS widget and changed some setting to get about 12 hours out of it if I watched my web time and didnt use the GPS at all. I just couldn't hang with that.
3rd thing may seem minor to most but coupled with the battery life issues I feel it is a huge oversight is the lack of a proximity sensor. This is another feature that will soon be standard (look at the aris) and it may have helped the battery life enough to make it tolerable.
The Droids not perfect but its by far a better piece of hardware and software can be improved in the coarse of ownership in a few different ways (3rd party apps, OE updates, cooked roms, ported UI's). That and the fact that the Moment seemed to be getting over looked for a mystery reason steered me to the droid and away from the Hero

Droid also uses Cortex8. Even tho it's "mhz" is lower, it's faster than the Moment's. Too bad it's not an HTC device, it's gonna suffer the same fate as the Moment and any non-HTC phone. Hacker community support-less..

Please give us an update as you get more familiar with your phone. I at least would like your views on it.