PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

notrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation How to Close Apps. Read here before posting!

In preparation for what I think is going to be the most common question from Window Mobile users coming over to Android.

This was the first thing I goggled

MercuryStar sums it up nicely at xda

'I'll attempt to sum it up once and for all, to try and set the record straight.

In Android's virtual machine, there is no functional differentiation between "closing" an app and "switching away from" an app. They are the same (the exception is things like music players which need to keep playing after you switch away from them, but even then only the 'service' part needs to keep running).

Whenever you switch away from an app, its current state is remembered so that even if it is effectively "killed" it can be returned to in just that state next time it's opened. Then Android either kills the process or it keeps it open, killing it when it needs the memory. You won't notice any difference between either scenario, except maybe that an app loads a little bit faster if it was kept in memory. At any rate, "closed" apps do not "run", and they do not take RAM or CPU cycles from other apps.

In terms of process/memory management, Android's VM has more in common with a web browser than a desktop OS - sure it can remember your state when you switch apps (like switching tabs, going back/forward/home in a browser) but whether behind the scenes it loads it all into and out of memory when you switch back and forth, or it all stays in memory is irrelevant to the user. Nobody worries that a long forum page on another tab or in their back button history is occupying 80 megs in the background or not, the browser takes care of loading/unloading it from RAM as needed, and that's just like how Android's VM works when switching between various pages of various apps.

Once you understand this you understand that all these 'task killer' apps are really unnecessary - all they'll do is make it slower to restart an app once closed. They don't reclaim RAM that was previously unavailable to other apps.

To cut a long story short, pressing "home" is a great way to close an app, whether you want to return to it later or not.'

developer.android.com Explains it in depth.

But as a former WM user I'm still picky about what's running in the background and because I occasionally catch sprint bloat running.

Here are some task managers
(Cyrket links, but they are all in the app store)
EStrongs Task Manager

Also Pressing and holding the HOME button is just a list of your last used apps, it isn't a task manager.

Hope this helps or saves from a 100 threads opening. Feel free to add.

At the end of the day we all WM users and that methodical need to check what is running is going to take some time to get over.

Last edited by notrock; 03-04-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Removed some links
This post has been thanked 10 times.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: sprint

lawsofpower48 is just getting started
Re: How to Close Apps. Read here before posting!

good writeup..couldnt say it better myself
Old 10-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

quiqnezz is keeping up the good workquiqnezz is keeping up the good work

Wow, loving this OS even more now. But I still would like a list of running apps that I can switch to more quickly instead of having to find that app's shortcut to re-open it. Trying out a few of the free taskmanagers and I think i've found what i'm looking for but it's still a slide and click to many.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

princem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to princem131 Send a message via Yahoo to princem131

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiqnezz View Post
Wow, loving this OS even more now. But I still would like a list of running apps that I can switch to more quickly instead of having to find that app's shortcut to re-open it. Trying out a few of the free taskmanagers and I think i've found what i'm looking for but it's still a slide and click to many.
Long Press home key and recent apps pops up. Very easy to switch from app to app.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch

aggie6600 is a n00b

Excellent write up.

I like that that a long press of the Home Key is like "ALT-TAB", didn't know that before.

I know some people have been complaining about lagging, but I have not noticed any significant lag. It is a hell of a lot better then my Vogue and I don't have to soft reset the phone twice a day.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Threadstarter

notrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie6600 View Post
Excellent write up.

I like that that a long press of the Home Key is like "ALT-TAB", didn't know that before.

I know some people have been complaining about lagging, but I have not noticed any significant lag. It is a hell of a lot better then my Vogue and I don't have to soft reset the phone twice a day.
Yeah I haven't noticed any lag. The keyboard app 'forced closed' on me a few times, but quickly restarted. I installed a whole bunch of apps without having to reboot. If didn't play with it all day Saturday until the battery ran out, I don't think I would have needed to reboot it at all.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC hero
Carrier: alfa

nmd17 is a n00b

hey where can i find the links to download the free task manager? thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

siptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsiptang1227 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

search for it in marketplace. You will see several of them listed there.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:35 PM
x51
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800 (Titan)
Carrier: Verizon

x51 is a n00b

Well, you prevented ME from posting this exact question.
Thanks for this.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion