PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4
Carrier: Sprint

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need help picking between Samsung Galaxy III or EVO 4g LTE

I am finally going to give up on my HTC arrive. I've been going through all android phones and it's come down to Either the Evo 4g lte or the Samsung Galaxy S 3.

I know the specs of both but it seems that more people prefer the evo even though it's specs is ever so slightly worse on paper.

Have anyone tried both? How much did you like them.

I know that there is a phone comparison category but I'm sure it was meant for battles between OS that some people get really pissed about. I will also get responses by posting here.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE

Amamba is keeping up the good workAmamba is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just did the same comparison and ended up with HTC. Not sure one is better than another. On specs SGS 3 seems better but when comparing them side by side in two different stores HTC was just as fast and had a clearly brighter and crisper display. Replaceable battery is not an issue for me since I never used then in any of my devices. Battery life in Evo is good so far. Sense 4 is very good, I never was a Sense fan but I am actually enjoying it on this phone. Radio is weaker than it was in my TP2 but from what I read SGS 3 is not any better. Multitasking is about the only issue which seems to be Evo specific . It's not really bad but can be annoying at times. OTOH as I said the screen on EVO seemed clearly superior and that's one part of the phone I use the most. Also I had a very good run with HTC TP2 but no experience with Samsung. Finally there seems to be much more active ROM development for Evo (thanks to OMJ) .

I don't think you'd regret picking either phone.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO LTE, Galaxy S3

hyattdriver is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Need help picking between Samsung Galaxy III or EVO 4g LTE

I have had an HTC phone since the HTC Mogul and my last HTC was the EVO LTE. My EVO LTE was having a lot of problems (powering down during a call, wanting time zone set to name a few). I had 3 ELTE's in 2 months and sprint switched me to an GS3 even though I really wanted to stay with the HTC. I really didn't want to a GS3 but didn't really have a choice. I must say that the GS3 is no disappointment, I actually like it quite well, Samsung uses a lot of neat features with the front camera and motion sensors. Now all I'm saying is I would still be happy with the ELTE if it didn't have the issues that it did at the time I had it and its had several software updates to resolve most if not all the issues including the multitasking but I am happy with the GS3. I will probably be getting the ELTE for my wife since she has the EVO Design and she's so familiar with Sense it will be a good upgrade. PM me if you have any questions
Old 09-21-2012, 01:01 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I owned the evo lte before switching to the sgs3. The evo is a fantastic phone but the sgs3 is in a league of its own. Try em both and see which you like more. There are several threads about this at xda where there are many more active users. I suggest looking there if you want to get the most feedback.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

dam1inc is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have both phones..sprint sucks.verizon lte is amazingly fast, ROM development is great for the HTC Evo 4G LTE but sprint SGS3 has FreeGS + JellyBomb Domination theme which is a dynomite rom/theme combo..battery life is better on my sgs3 its o/c to 1.9GHz daily and i get a full day no prob..SW features are great on the SGS3...its the little things..like eye stay..or direct call..oh and one thing i HATED on the evo is there is no built in menu button?? Why not?? What happened?? I dont get it..so you have to use the settings app and if u use it daily as i do then its on the home screen all fugly...EVO screen is super crispy so the camera shots look great but the sgs3 has a great camera too, the long press home button multi tasking is great..S-Voice is pretty nice to have on the double tap..i rooted mine and opted for google now which doesnt have the call contact command but is great with directions and everything else...no battery is not bad unless its an emergency, i have a spare for the sgs just cuz..kick stand is a nice feature..htc phone quality is superior for sure....man idk i think u have one tough decision because both phones are really good...i think its gonna come down to root/rom/kernel combo...some of the sw features that make the sgs3 so great can be added to the evo but at the same time the lack of some hw features like no battery no physical home button, no built in menu/settings button on the evo knocked a couple of points off my decision but thats just me...well thats enough of that lol..good luck and i hope something i said helps

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff

LOL, I've never had such a tough choice from back when I got my old phones to my mogul to everything in between. The thing is I plan to buy the phone off of Craigslist so I can't check it for 30 days. I guess I'll just call a store that has both and play with them for a while and see which I like more. What will be the deciding factor for me is which has the screen I think is the nicest and which sounds best. Damn.

Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

If you use your phone for any media consumption then I would get the EVO LTE as it has beats audio with virtual surround sound with it. The GS3 also has virtual surround sound but it's only in their player and not system wide. Question: why are you giving up on WP? Especially so close to WP8.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I'm going through the same exact delima right now trying to choose between the SG III, EVO and the Motorola Photon. I am moving from the Arrive and, since Sprint no longer really supports Windows, I feel kinda forced to move to Droid.

My problem with my Arrive is that, over the past 1-2 months, I've nearly lost all signal and suffer from dropped calls, failure to get calls and lag in voice mail messages. I rely very heavily on my phone as I work in a hospital and am on call. When I am needed for an emergency and they need me there, they don't need to wait and hope that I get the message. About the only thing anyone can figure is that they are in teh process of "updating" the towers in my area and my Arrive is an older EDVO phone and doesn't get as much of the signal in the area as it once did
Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
If you use your phone for any media consumption then I would get the EVO LTE as it has beats audio with virtual surround sound with it. The GS3 also has virtual surround sound but it's only in their player and not system wide. Question: why are you giving up on WP? Especially so close to WP8.
Man the arrive is unfortunately not that great of a phone even though WP is probably the best mobile OS available. I'll consider jumping to VZW if Sprint does not get either the next Nokia or HtC 8X

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

I went to a sprint store and played with the evo and sgIII for a while. Ended up getting the SGS3. Love the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
Question: why are you giving up on WP? Especially so close to WP8.
Simple, I installed ICS on my touchpad some time ago and love it so I wanted it on my phone. As soon as I got it working, I downloaded my bank app to take pictures, I installed a 32gb sd card, installed and connected dice player to my network to stream vids off of my computer. One of the worst feeling was to see radio station apps and all kinds of other things that are only on ios, android and even blackberry. Don't feel like dealing with MS anymore. Shit, if I make a two way call, there isn't an option to disconnect the second person off of the line. After they hang up, it sometimes calls them back. As you see, I do feel strongly about the switch and am very happy with it. I feel that I had to give you a full explanation as you've already asked me this question before. I will end it at that as I don't want to turn this into a MS vs Android thread. The arrive was the best and most stable option at the time when the battery killing EVO 4G was the only option. The galaxy s3 starts up as fast as the arrive and shuts down WAY faster.

Last edited by esqueue; 09-22-2012 at 05:12 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion