PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: adwords
Carrier: jgtht

kathiny is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here we go again! Could Android 5.0 Be Released in Fall 2012?

"Digitimes... has a report that Google is readying Android 5.0, codenamed "Jelly Bean", for a release as soon as Q2 2012, or April 2012"

Android Jelly Bean: Could Android 5.0 Be Released in Fall 2012?

While I love having the newest software, these quick version updates are really confusing to new users, and just make the fragmentation criticism more valid.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

morrowa2 is just getting started
Re: Here we go again! Could Android 5.0 Be Released in Fall 2012?

Heck, I've seen "key lime pie" mentioned somewhere. Personally I'm looking forward to "lollipop" and "milkshake"
Old 04-07-2012, 12:57 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrowa2 View Post
Heck, I've seen "key lime pie" mentioned somewhere. Personally I'm looking forward to "lollipop" and "milkshake"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGL2rytTraA

i wish they would finish version before starting a new version

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Old 04-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I have a marketing plan spinning in my head.....
Old 04-07-2012, 04:46 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Yes 100% jellybean is coming late this fall, Google pretty much said they have moved from 2 times a year to once a year release schedule.

Google's release policy is pretty straight forward. New beta version released in late fall, phones get updated by June with final version. And cycle repeats.

This is same cycle that goes on for ALL software. Take Mozilla FireFox for example.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases

FireFox 12 will hit final on April 24th, in that time FireFox 13 will hit beta and FireFox 14 will hit Alpha(AURORA) and FireFox 15 will hit nightly. And this process keeps repeating. This is standard software release cycles.

The thing that seems to get to people is they are too used to not seeing this process behind the scenes and just get to see the final and that is it. But Android is open source so like most open source software the process is more transparent.

If you want to compare it to say iOS releases, look at it this way. June iOS6 will come out and your device will get ICS. Next June iOS7 will come out and your device will have Jellybean and etc. Whats eating people is they know it "exists" so they want it now and I don't blame them but if you look at it prospectively its the same release cycle, just more transparent.

There is no fragmentation, its a myth.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 04-07-2012 at 04:54 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

rubylane is a n00b

Some models haven't even had the ICS update yet. Don't get me wrong, I love that they're constantly updating the OS. I agree that it makes Android more fragmented than ever with each new release, though.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion