PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Help me pickj between the Sprint Evo 4G or Epic 4G for Wife

I think that's the one she's really leaning more toward now. How is the actual customer support for them compared to HTC. I know HTC seems to be pretty pro active when it comes to updates and such. I've read a couple of things online(they were older posts) that leads me to think Samsung doesn't do too much after the release of the products. Has that started to change?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G, Touch Pro2

ProDriver77 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (HTC Touch Pro2 (Sprint): Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Another vote for Epic. In comparison, the Epic has better graphics, display, & hard keyboard. Hardware is fantastic, even if Samsung is extremely slow to release software updates. Even with slow support for software, many of our devs make excellent custom ROMs and tweaks and the rooting (unlocking) process is way smoother and easier than for Evos.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

OK. I'll probably be going full on Noob after she decides to buy this thing. I'm still playing catchup since switching up to WP7 for myself earlier this year and now I'm going to have a lot to learn about Droid too. My wife is a total end user when it comes to technology. She buys and uses. Never would consider modding anything or running a "non-standard" app on it. I'm sort of in the same boat but I'm willing to do what needs to be done to get features I need or to make my phone work better.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:02 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I still think the evo has better dev support. A ton of roms too.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

That's all fine and well but she won't be rooting the phone or installing new ROMs and such. That's more my thing and even that's limited anymore. I did it a couple of times with one of my old Axim x51v's and it was OK. Other than that, I installed a few hack programs on my TP2 to bring out functions it was lacking at the time. I'm just not big into it, especially since I'm now on a WP7 phone myself, it's pretty limited right now in what's out there for it in that manner.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks all for the pointers and advice. She just sent me a text saying she was going to pick up the Epic this morning. I told her to make sure it had the latest EI22 OS on it or make sure they have it updated before she leaves the store.

I'll be on this spot more often now since I'm going to have to learn two new OS's now, WP7(Mango) and now Droid(Gingerbread).

Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

I just purchased my second Epic for my wife for $50 at Radio Shack. She loves it!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch PRO

MrPants20 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to MrPants20

Cant go wrong with either. Lean Epic here
Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Id still go with the evo but to each their own.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:11 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The Epic is a better choice and here is why.

1) If its not your main phone you'll have easier time rooting and loading custom roms on an Epic..its fairly simple and its nearly unbrickable so you don't be afraid to mess up.

2) It has better hardware from AMOLED screen to one of the best Audio DACs.

3) It has a better camera.

4) Better processor and 4G idle

As far as updates go, I don't think it matters much because I don't think either Epic nor Evo will get any more major updates. There is a rumor that Samsung is going to update the Galaxy S to ICS but even if they do the question is whether sprint will bother.

The Evo does have a larger development community, that said its not like you'll run out of things to flash on the Epic lol

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion