PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: vrizon
Carrier: e

alssadah is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question pleeeeeeeez help

my phone is samsung galaxy s I500 verizon with android 2.2, recently i have found updat from samsung to 2.3.4 and with this update no need to program's like Odin .....

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/Su...5&fm_seq=41813

and while i was searching i found another update from this website

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1242747

which rom is better cos the update form is easy and the other is little bit difficult and do i need to unlock my phone again after these updates cos i'm not living in America
Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Re: pleeeeeeeez help

The firmware/ROM on the Samsung website is stock, which is why its easier. This is the way Samsung/Verizon intended the phone to be. Be sure you flash a Verizon version if its a Verizon-branded phone. Usually Verizon would supply the link to the upgrade or it would be OTA (over-the-air).

The 2nd link is to a custom ROM that someone put together. Its custom in that its rooted (if you need that, some don't care) and contains tweaks or features that the developer likes and wanted to add into it. Sometimes these are stable and sometimes they're not. Plus there's always a chance of bricking your device and it voids your warranty.

With that being said, PPCG and XDA both started with custom ROMs/firmware for phones. That's why we're developer communities dedicated to people wanting to tweak their phones to their liking.

In the end, its your call. Doing an official upgrade from Verizon will keep your warranty, but you're somewhat restricted by it. Doing a custom update will void your warranty, but you would have more control over your phone.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: vrizon
Carrier: e
Threadstarter

alssadah is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Re: pleeeeeeeez help

thank u for ur replay
if i"m goin to upgrade with a costum rom no thing will happen to MIN because as i said before i have unlocked the phone and i'm not using verizon network

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion