PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Android Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   MicroSD Fake? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147785)

joeyjojo2011 10-30-2011 07:31 AM

MicroSD Fake?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
I have a HTC Wildfire S. It came with a Samsung 2G Class 4 MicroSD card. I decided to upgrade to the max 32G. I saw one on ebay (99.2% seller), and decided to get it, even though it was bit more then half price. It's a SanDisk 32G Class 4. I put it in the adapter, then into my laptop. I was transferring music over when it suddenly auto dismounted. I tried numerous ways to access/delete/format, but nothing worked. I saw on a few boards that fake 32G microSD's are flooding ebay (too late I guess). I took a few photos of the card. After not being able to format it with SDFormatter and getting a Code21 message from h2testW. Can you see from looking at the card, if it is fake?
I appreciate any help with this..
Thanks in advance..

gTen 10-30-2011 10:27 PM

Re: MicroSD Fake?

don't buy sd cards from ebay. Buy sd cards from top end stores like Amazon, newegg, etc..you should not even buy them from smaller stores.

And yes its fake. SD cards are just one of those kind of stuff that you don't want to go cheap on.

fixxxer2012 10-31-2011 01:03 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GWK74) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

How can a sd card be fake?

Go to best buy and get one, there cheap now days.

gTen 10-31-2011 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 2153304)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GWK74) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

How can a sd card be fake?

Go to best buy and get one, there cheap now days.

There are multiple forms of fake sd cards, the most common 3 types are:

1) They take say a 2gb sd card and make it show up as 32gb and change the labels. (Easiest way to find out is dropping a large file onto the card)

2) Same as above but a smarter, the moment it fills up 2gb it continues transferring and just deletes the old content leaving only references. (easiest way to find out is filling up the card then viewing first transfered and last transferred content)

3) The hardest to detect cards are ones that failed QC which are stolen and sold as regular cards. Also at times when workers turn on the machines after hours and create cards with poorer quality materials. (no way to fidn out until content on your card start going corrupt)

joeyjojo2011 11-01-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2153343)
There are multiple forms of fake sd cards, the most common 3 types are:

1) They take say a 2gb sd card and make it show up as 32gb and change the labels. (Easiest way to find out is dropping a large file onto the card)

2) Same as above but a smarter, the moment it fills up 2gb it continues transferring and just deletes the old content leaving only references. (easiest way to find out is filling up the card then viewing first transfered and last transferred content)

3) The hardest to detect cards are ones that failed QC which are stolen and sold as regular cards. Also at times when workers turn on the machines after hours and create cards with poorer quality materials. (no way to fidn out until content on your card start going corrupt)

Thanks heaps...Suspected 1 & 2...Didn't even think about #3...Thanks again..

(Edit) Finally got a response, and card "has been found faulty".
It's an Australian seller. I've sent it back, told him about the tests with formatsd and h2testw. I've asked him whether the new card he wants to send is: Original from factory (seller says its oem stock), not stolen after qc fail, and to verify authenticity of card.
...Still deciding whether to tell him to send the replacement card, or to ask for a total refund...

demonlordoftheround 11-01-2011 10:48 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Get the refund!