PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Android Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Multiple Google Accounts (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147275)

Da Uniq 1 09-30-2011 03:41 PM

Multiple Google Accounts

I know that you can have more than one google account linked to your phone. But before I do so, can anyone tell me if it merges or syncs all contact data to both accounts?

Google account A is my profesional account.

Google account B is my personal use account.

I've got about 300 contacts in each.

I use one Adndroid device for acct A and a differnt device for acct B.

Sometimed when I don't one phone with me but need access to a contact or calander appt from the other, it can cause problems.

The issue is, I thought about adding both accts to both devices. But I'm afraid that in trying to have all info on both devices, it will sync to the eye in the sky too. Then both of those accts online will have 600 + contacts and it's just too much clutter there for me and I don't want to confuse info.

I also don't think I want to have to create separate groups for them too if it does sync like that.

I home my question isn't confusing. Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

ou2mame 10-02-2011 07:17 AM

Re: Multiple Google Accounts

on my evo, it gives me the option to have either account, or both shown in my contacts list.

Da Uniq 1 10-02-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 2148248)
on my evo, it gives me the option to have either account, or both shown in my contacts list.

I know that it gives you that option, but I need to know if it merges all info online or if it keeps that separate. I really need online to be kept separate. Can you shed some light on that aspect for me?

Sent from my PG86100 on the PPCGeeks App

ou2mame 10-03-2011 05:28 PM

it won't "merge" anything.. your contacts will all be in your contacts list unless you choose to only view one or the other. there is only one contacts list, its not like its going to ask you before you open your contacts list, but its not going to throw your contacts from one account into the other or anything

Da Uniq 1 10-04-2011 12:52 PM

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm not being clear.

Your answer is regarding display of contacts on the phone.

What I'm trying to make sure is if I log onto a PC and check each google account online, will they be merged there?

Sorry for being a stickler, but I had that happen to me before with a yahoo acct and back in the day with Win Mo and multiple accts. It was such a pain in the arse to fix.

By default, Yahoo, merges the online acctcontacts with the phone's contacts . Result was 200 yahoo contacts and 200 phone contacts in both places. It was so cumbersome just to send a text to the right persone let alone scrolling thru the contacts list on the device lol

ou2mame 10-04-2011 02:59 PM

oh, no.. that doesn't happen. each account is handled separately. to access them, you'd switch accounts in the gmail app. i ran into a really weird problem because my gmail account is the same as my school's .edu, and because my school uses google apps for email i can't log into it at all from my phone. but it definitely doesn't merge them.

Da Uniq 1 10-04-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 2148570)
oh, no.. that doesn't happen. each account is handled separately. to access them, you'd switch accounts in the gmail app. i ran into a really weird problem because my gmail account is the same as my school's .edu, and because my school uses google apps for email i can't log into it at all from my phone. but it definitely doesn't merge them.

Cool. Thanks. That's just what I needed to know. This will be a life saver for me

JP3 10-21-2011 01:52 PM

but only one gmail account will be backed-up I believe...That`s the issue I am having I am trying to keep contacts seperate but also want the backed up..Anyone clear that up for me??

Da Uniq 1 10-26-2011 06:05 PM

Both G mail accouts are there. When you open mail, there is a drop down box to choose which account you want to use

JP3 10-27-2011 10:43 AM

Unfortunetly some features of phone are better then gmail but phone is not backed up

JP from my sprint epic