PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: LG Optimus S
Carrier: Sprint

KingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need flashing assistance

Ok Scott... I would like to go for it but I must say that I haven't kept up the phone stuff in over a year...the palm pixi couldn't do much.

I read the instructions for the gingerbreak APK... see red quoted statement.
Quote:
Installation
- Optional: Press the Thanks button below this post
- Make sure USB debugging is enabled
- Make sure you have an SD card (formatted and) inserted
- Get the APK on the phone somehow, and install it
- Open the APK, press the root button
- Wait a few minutes. If there are no problems, the device will reboot (note that the reboot itself can take like 10 minutes due to cache wipe)
- Make sure the Superuser app is install and working
- Optional: Install BusyBox from Market (I personally prefer the stericsson installer)
- Optional: Uninstall GingerBreak, you don't need it on your phone anymore

Last edited by Riley; 06-21-2011 at 10:14 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Re: [ROM] - CleanROM 1.2 - 6/20/11 - Overclocked, Ad Blocked and Themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingArthur View Post
Ok Scott... I would like to go for it but I must say that I haven't kept up the phone stuff in over a year...the palm pixi couldn't do much.

I read the instructions for the gingerbreak APK... see red quoted statement.
Just download the file to your PC and then transfer it the SD card via USB. Place it in the root of the sd card when you copy it over. Alternately you can go to the XDA website on phone and download it directly to the SD Card over the internet on the phone. Then you will need an app that can view and install APKs. I like File Expert. Its super good! Here is the link in the market for File Expert: https://market.android.com/details?id=xcxin.filexpert

After you download and install File Expert just start the program and it will open up to the root of the SD card. From there just click on the gingerbreak APK and that will start the install. After it is installed, just run it like the instructions say. There is no need to do the optional steps.

Let me know...

-Scott

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

KingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuffKingArthur knows their stuff
Re: [ROM] - CleanROM 1.2 - 6/20/11 - Overclocked, Ad Blocked and Themes

ok looking it up now
Old 06-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Re: [ROM] - CleanROM 1.2 - 6/20/11 - Overclocked, Ad Blocked, WiFi Tether and Themes

Got it rooted, install superuser. ok now do I need to backup the stock rom or something before flashing your rom. I don't have many apps on my phone.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 PM
VIP Member

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Re: [ROM] - CleanROM 1.2 - 6/20/11 - Overclocked, Ad Blocked, WiFi Tether and Themes

Quote:
Got it rooted, install superuser. ok now do I need to backup the stock rom or something before flashing your rom. I don't have many apps on my phone.
Next step is to install a custom recovery. The link to the custom recovery is in the OP: [Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6) - Android Forums

Dont worry, it looks much harder than what it really is. At the heart of it its actually quite simple. Your basically copying some files to the SD card root. Then using a linux prompt to install those files and then reboot.

After you complete this step... You are then golden. When it reboots for the first time it will reboot to recovery and you can make your first back up there. It will be very simple...
Old 06-20-2011, 09:52 PM
VIP Member

Also, some one made an automated script to install the custom recovery. You can check it out here: E-Z Installer, Fastest Custom Recovery Installer - Android Forums

I havent tried it yet but plan to play with it when I get home.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

I just used the link you just provided and installed it. After it rebooted it show Android System recovery...reboot system now is highlighted but the phone seems to be froze. Is this normal... Do I just wait or have I messed up?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:21 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I just used the link you just provided and installed it. After it rebooted it show Android System recovery...reboot system now is highlighted but the phone seems to be froze. Is this normal... Do I just wait or have I messed up?
You should have a list of options. Use the vol up and vol down keys to move the selection. Then press the camera key to make the selection.

I would arrow down to Backup/restore and then press camera button to select. From there select Back up. and when done reboot phone using the reboot option. You are now fully rooted and a custom recovery installed and back up created. You are now ready for ROMS!

Hey dont forget to hit the thanks button if I have helped at all ;c)

Last edited by scrosler; 06-20-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

ok it moves but I don't have backup/restore option.

*reboot system now
*apply sdcard:update.zip
*wipe data/factory reset
*wipe cache partition
Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
ok it moves but I don't have backup/restore option.

*reboot system now
*apply sdcard:update.zip
*wipe data/factory reset
*wipe cache partition
Thats the factory recovery. For some reason its not installed. Try doing it the manual method.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion