PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Virtually, I am a Ppc
Pocket PC: SAMSUNG EPIC 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Hypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Run Android 3.0 Honeycomb on Computer

Google has released the final SDK of Android 3.0 Honeycomb and now you can run this tablet specific OS on your Windows PC, Mac OS and Linux. Here is how you can run Honeycomb on computer.
Steps to Run Android 3.0 Honeycomb on PC

- Download the Android SDK (either ZIP or EXE) on Windows PC. You can choose to download for Mac or Linux as well. If you are already having the previous SDK installed on your computer and skip this step.
- Installation of packages – Whether you have just downloaded SDK or have the previous one, now you need to install the available packages which includes Android 3.0 API and other updates related to that and other versions. To do that, go into the “Tools” folder in the downloaded SDK Unzipped folder and click on “android” application. A window will open where you need to select the option “Installed Packages” from the left menu.

- Click on “Update All” button available at the bottom of the window. The new packages including Android 3.0 updates will start to download. It may take time (few hours depending on your Internet connection speed) to complete the download and installation.
- Once the new packages are installed, its time to create a new AVD. To do that, go to the “Virtual Devices” option from the left menu on same screen and click on “New” button.
- It will ask for the name of the AVD and Android version that will want on that. Select the Android version as “Android 3.0 API Level 11” and give SD Card size as 10,000 MB.
- Once the AVD is created, select that AVD name from the list available under “Virtual Devices” and click on “Start” button to start the Android 3.0 stimulator

Done. In next few minutes, you will have Android 3.0 Honeycomb running on your computer. You can explore the features, options and new UI on your computer without purchasing any Android 3.0 tablet. Of course tablet with Honeycomb will be a very different experience because of the touch screen and other UI changes done by companies but this vanilla installation of Honeycomb is also very good.
Here are few snaps that I took while running Android 3.0 Honeycomb on my Windows 7 computer.
Screenshots of Android 3.0 Honeycomb taken on Windows 7 PC

Very first screen after staring the AVD of Android 3.0

First screen of Android 3.0 Honeycomb – having Google Search box

Android 3.0 running – in background you can see Windows 7 desktop

Apps available on Android 3.0 SDK vanilla

Wireless and networks settings page on Honeycomb

About Phone – on Settings page where you can see Android Version as 3.0

Google running on Android 3.0 Honeycomb browser

Internet Techies on Android 3.0 browser

Android 3.0 Screen – Full utilization of tablet’s display real estate

Are you planning to install SDK of Android 3.0 Honeycomb on your computer? In case you are facing any problem, read the documentation available on Android developer section. Enjoy the Honeycomb OS on your Windows, Mac or Linux and come up with some development for this beautiful tablet OS by Google.

**Got Lasers?? Check out our site for shows and equipment:
http://www.ctlasers.com/

-A quick thanks always helps!
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Run Android 3.0 Honeycomb on Computer

really cool, im gonna try this one. ty
Old 03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

This is actually running in the SDK Virtual Machine correct?
Any chance I could run this in a VMWare machine?

I guess I would have to build it using the SDK.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
This is actually running in the SDK Virtual Machine correct?
Any chance I could run this in a VMWare machine?

I guess I would have to build it using the SDK.
Unless your VMware works in a ARM architecture, no
Old 03-15-2011, 08:17 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

pretty fun running this, cool "conversation piece" at sprint store.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: E4GT, Touch Pro 2, Evo, Blackberry 9330

matchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmatchstickredgti is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

this is awesome, thanks given.

going to try this on my computer at home.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

soooooo awesome! thanks for sharing

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

Jimmy_Digital is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Jimmy_Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Jimmy_Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Jimmy_Digital

I have a question how long does it take for the android honeycomb screen to load, because i installed, and ran the avd, i did notice that a couple of screens popped up and one of them said, error loading prefrences, but it went away and the screen that honeycomb suppose to run on came on but its just blank and saying that its not responding, i tried to find anything like that on the android developer section but to no avail. Can u help me out, i followed instructions given
Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond500//Sprint//Groove4
Carrier: rdrf

popasmurfn25 is keeping up the good workpopasmurfn25 is keeping up the good work

I tried your directions sir but i found something else on this page:
Adding SDK Components | Android Developers

And i just had to install Available Packages first then Installed Packages then Devices...Im DL right now i cant wait to see it. Hey quick question will i be able to run the apps on here and games? Is anything broken?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond500//Sprint//Groove4
Carrier: rdrf

popasmurfn25 is keeping up the good workpopasmurfn25 is keeping up the good work

Actually i still cant see what im doing wrong?? I hit update all but then the next screen doesnt have any updates for me to install. Whats the deal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sfsdfsdf.jpg (252.6 KB, 25 views) Click for barcode!

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion