PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Android Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Free hotspot app and Wake-on-Lan ap on Android? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=142691)

New Daddy 04-11-2011 11:28 AM

Free hotspot app and Wake-on-Lan ap on Android?

Time to consider upgrade from my HTC Touch Pro2, and I'm torn between iPhone and Android.

One of the many criteria for my decision is (a) availability of FREE WiFi hotspot app and (b) availability of (free or not-free) Wake-on-Lan app.
I know for the iPhone, the answer is no for (a) and yes for (b). How about for the android phone? I've recently seen an add from Verizon indicating that with a new Android phone you get Wifi Hospot function, but the ad was not clear on whether you'd have to pay extra fee for that service. (With my TP2, I use "Wi-Fi Router" app to create free Wi-Fi Hospot.)

Thanks in advance.

ckngumbo 04-11-2011 04:10 PM

Re: Free hotspot app and Wake-on-Lan ap on Android?

My HTC Evo on sprint hot spots easility enough and at no additional charge.
There are several wake up apps on marketplace.

jerseypimp 04-12-2011 01:19 AM

You get free hotspot? are you rooted or stock?

New Daddy 04-12-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseypimp (Post 2083624)
You get free hotspot? are you rooted or stock?

So it's not so straightforward to enable free hotspot on an Android phone? That could be a deal breaker in my plan to upgrade to an Android phone. At least I enjoy free hotspot with my Windows Mobile phone, and it's a must for me, as it saves the $40/month data access fees for my iPads, laptops, etc.

rainfreak 04-12-2011 06:35 PM

You have to be rooted to run the free hotspot app on Android, most of the time. I just recently switched to an iPhone 4 and have read about how to do it if you jailbreak your iPhone (which I did) but don't really have a reason to do so as I carry a company provided 3G/4G Hotspot device (Overdrive) with me in my laptop bag, so I haven't tried it yet.

schettj 04-13-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Daddy (Post 2083287)
Time to consider upgrade from my HTC Touch Pro2, and I'm torn between iPhone and Android.

One of the many criteria for my decision is (a) availability of FREE WiFi hotspot app and (b) availability of (free or not-free) Wake-on-Lan app.
I know for the iPhone, the answer is no for (a) and yes for (b). How about for the android phone? I've recently seen an add from Verizon indicating that with a new Android phone you get Wifi Hospot function, but the ad was not clear on whether you'd have to pay extra fee for that service. (With my TP2, I use "Wi-Fi Router" app to create free Wi-Fi Hospot.)

Thanks in advance.

The iPhone "hotspot" app is free. Service, however, is essentially free. You pay $20 more, and get 2gb more, which is exactly what 2gb extra costs ($10/GB) so, it's free.

If you meant "I want an app that lets me steal hotspot/tethering service" then, uh, I think you're outside the bounds of the posting rules for PPCGeeks.

Short answer: All carriers charge extra for tethering/hotspot. Just because you can get around the need to pay for it, doesn't make it free.

New Daddy 04-14-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 2084250)
If you meant "I want an app that lets me steal hotspot/tethering service" then, uh, I think you're outside the bounds of the posting rules for PPCGeeks.

Short answer: All carriers charge extra for tethering/hotspot. Just because you can get around the need to pay for it, doesn't make it free.

As far as I know, Verizon's "tethering" is not free, but I don't think using a hotspot app on a Verizon's WM phone is against Verizon's contract. Yes, Verizon does provide hotspot app for a charge, but that is no different than navigation or music streaming app that Verizon provides for a charge, for which you have other third-party options.

So my question was, if the same kind of ecosystem exists in Android.

schettj 04-14-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Daddy (Post 2084793)
As far as I know, Verizon's "tethering" is not free, but I don't think using a hotspot app on a Verizon's WM phone is against Verizon's contract. Yes, Verizon does provide hotspot app for a charge, but that is no different than navigation or music streaming app that Verizon provides for a charge, for which you have other third-party options.

So my question was, if the same kind of ecosystem exists in Android.

It's not the app they charge for, it's the service.