PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

New Daddy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Free hotspot app and Wake-on-Lan ap on Android?

Time to consider upgrade from my HTC Touch Pro2, and I'm torn between iPhone and Android.

One of the many criteria for my decision is (a) availability of FREE WiFi hotspot app and (b) availability of (free or not-free) Wake-on-Lan app.
I know for the iPhone, the answer is no for (a) and yes for (b). How about for the android phone? I've recently seen an add from Verizon indicating that with a new Android phone you get Wifi Hospot function, but the ad was not clear on whether you'd have to pay extra fee for that service. (With my TP2, I use "Wi-Fi Router" app to create free Wi-Fi Hospot.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touchpro
Carrier: sprint

ckngumbo is a n00b
Re: Free hotspot app and Wake-on-Lan ap on Android?

My HTC Evo on sprint hot spots easility enough and at no additional charge.
There are several wake up apps on marketplace.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:19 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: sprint

jerseypimp is a n00b

You get free hotspot? are you rooted or stock?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

New Daddy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseypimp View Post
You get free hotspot? are you rooted or stock?
So it's not so straightforward to enable free hotspot on an Android phone? That could be a deal breaker in my plan to upgrade to an Android phone. At least I enjoy free hotspot with my Windows Mobile phone, and it's a must for me, as it saves the $40/month data access fees for my iPads, laptops, etc.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

You have to be rooted to run the free hotspot app on Android, most of the time. I just recently switched to an iPhone 4 and have read about how to do it if you jailbreak your iPhone (which I did) but don't really have a reason to do so as I carry a company provided 3G/4G Hotspot device (Overdrive) with me in my laptop bag, so I haven't tried it yet.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
Time to consider upgrade from my HTC Touch Pro2, and I'm torn between iPhone and Android.

One of the many criteria for my decision is (a) availability of FREE WiFi hotspot app and (b) availability of (free or not-free) Wake-on-Lan app.
I know for the iPhone, the answer is no for (a) and yes for (b). How about for the android phone? I've recently seen an add from Verizon indicating that with a new Android phone you get Wifi Hospot function, but the ad was not clear on whether you'd have to pay extra fee for that service. (With my TP2, I use "Wi-Fi Router" app to create free Wi-Fi Hospot.)

Thanks in advance.
The iPhone "hotspot" app is free. Service, however, is essentially free. You pay $20 more, and get 2gb more, which is exactly what 2gb extra costs ($10/GB) so, it's free.

If you meant "I want an app that lets me steal hotspot/tethering service" then, uh, I think you're outside the bounds of the posting rules for PPCGeeks.

Short answer: All carriers charge extra for tethering/hotspot. Just because you can get around the need to pay for it, doesn't make it free.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

New Daddy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
If you meant "I want an app that lets me steal hotspot/tethering service" then, uh, I think you're outside the bounds of the posting rules for PPCGeeks.

Short answer: All carriers charge extra for tethering/hotspot. Just because you can get around the need to pay for it, doesn't make it free.
As far as I know, Verizon's "tethering" is not free, but I don't think using a hotspot app on a Verizon's WM phone is against Verizon's contract. Yes, Verizon does provide hotspot app for a charge, but that is no different than navigation or music streaming app that Verizon provides for a charge, for which you have other third-party options.

So my question was, if the same kind of ecosystem exists in Android.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:22 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
As far as I know, Verizon's "tethering" is not free, but I don't think using a hotspot app on a Verizon's WM phone is against Verizon's contract. Yes, Verizon does provide hotspot app for a charge, but that is no different than navigation or music streaming app that Verizon provides for a charge, for which you have other third-party options.

So my question was, if the same kind of ecosystem exists in Android.
It's not the app they charge for, it's the service.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion