PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does it matter if your carrier is behind on the version of Android?

Hello,

I'm used to WM so I'm not that familiar with Android yet. With my old phone (vogue/touch) I was always able to get a more up to date version of the OS on this site than Sprint had - typically by at least 6 months before Sprint released their version. The kitchen's here typically ran better and had more features than the official release of WM they would put on their site. Is it the same with Android? I was thinking about the Samsung because they have great screens but I wasn't sure if I could keep it current if Samsung was behind on their releases.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Does it matter if your carrier is behind on the version of Android?

If you want to go with a lot of choices for custom ROMs I would heavily recommend anything HTC over other manufacturers. As an example, there are close to 150 custom ROMs listed for the EVO on our site. Then, for the Samsung Epic, there are some but they don't even have an official 2.2 base to use for custom ROMs.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Threadstarter

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thanks - I was thinking about switching to Verizon and they only Android phone they have that I like is the Galaxy S. I'm not a fan of Motorola - at all.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:06 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Verizon also carries the HTC Incredible which is very similar to the HTC Evo. As for the OS thing, if you're running stock then as long as it does what you need it to do then it really shouldn't matter if the version is behind.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

At this point, I wouldn't really buy a phone without Froyo on it if you're planning on running stock. I see Gingerbread as a more optional upgrade, but Froyo was a pretty decent upgrade from 2.1 with JIT, automatic app updates, Flash, etc.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:32 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Yes you can load up custom roms with android 2.2 and above.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 02-20-2011, 12:48 PM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
If you want to go with a lot of choices for custom ROMs I would heavily recommend anything HTC over other manufacturers. As an example, there are close to 150 custom ROMs listed for the EVO on our site. Then, for the Samsung Epic, there are some but they don't even have an official 2.2 base to use for custom ROMs.
The Official Froyo release for the Epic is 21 Feb. Samsung has already released the source code. Personally I recommend the Epic over the Evo from a strictly hardware point of view. Samsung has had some issues keeping their customers current with updates, so HTC does have the upper hand there. But the dev community has done an excellent job keeping the Epic up to speed, and with the official Froyo release coming tomorrow it will be even better.

FYI the Epic has had Froyo ROMs for a few months thanks to the leaked versions that Samsung let out to the developers, so even though it is just now getting the official release, don't think that it hasn't had any Froyo.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion