PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Virtually, I am a Ppc
Pocket PC: SAMSUNG EPIC 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Hypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the communityHypnotic2010 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is Wireless Tether About to Get the Android Axe? Carriers Finally Starting to Block i

Ya heard??
Im not too worried, I think they are just blocking it from the market, but I think we can all figure out where to get it.
But maybe not so lucky for AT&T users "After inserting an AT&T SIM card into the phone, the app disappears." Anybody having issues?

Wireless Tether App for Android Gets Banned by Carriers

File under: News
By: Brandon Miniman | 12:13 PM 1-May-11 | 12 Comments

In Android, there are several different ways to tether, both officially (through an app that comes on the device for which you must pay to use), and unofficially (on unlocked and rooted devices). The carriers obviously want you to pay a monthly tethering fee, which often comes in at around $20 for 2GB. For years, this has been protested by some subscribers who contend that since they're already paying for a data plan, it should be up to them, and not the carrier, to determine how the data is used.

Many recent smartphones come with a carrier-sanctioned Mobile Hotspot app that only works if you've paid that extra fee to add tethering to your data plan. If your device is unlocked or rooted, you can use the built-in tethering function found in Android 2.2 and 2.3 settings. More commonly, rooted users use the free Wireless Tether app for Android, which does a great job at sharing your device's connection with a variety of devices.

The days of the Wireless Tether app might over, though. Carriers have begun blocking the app, even if you're rooted. We've checked for the app on a Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint device, and it's not available on the former two. However, on an unlocked Sony Ericsson device without a SIM card, the app is available. After inserting an AT&T SIM card into the phone, the app disappears.

Source: Droid-Life
Via: ZDNET

**Got Lasers?? Check out our site for shows and equipment:
http://www.ctlasers.com/

-A quick thanks always helps!

Last edited by Hypnotic2010; 05-02-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre
Re: Is Wireless Tether About to Get the Android Axe? Carriers Finally Starting to Blo

I'm stil using it on my evo. Just turned it off about 30 min ago feeding a DS, ipod, and girlfriend phone since virgin mobile has crappy data out here in the sticks.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G LTE

Da Uniq 1 is keeping up the good workDa Uniq 1 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Da Uniq 1 Send a message via MSN to Da Uniq 1 Send a message via Yahoo to Da Uniq 1
Re: Is Wireless Tether About to Get the Android Axe? Carriers Finally Starting to Blo

Mine still worked as of yesterday

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion