PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia > HTC Touch Pro 2 > HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

jonlee83 is keeping up the good workjonlee83 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking for advice on a android phone

i have been looking at phones lately and decided to give android a try. What i want in my phone prolly wont come out for WP7 and sprint for a while.

requirements:
I am on sprint.
front facing camera
flash for camera
1 ghz processor
microSD accessible
no keyboard
larger screen than TP2
super amoled screen
android 2.2 or higher
(ill add more as i think of it)

I looked at the EVO and its good but by the time i get a new phone i feel that the Evo will be out dated. I liked what i saw with the samsung i909 galaxy s but it looked like it was for China only. Are any of the galaxy s worth getting? I read that LG will be coming out with the 4" dual core phone with android and i wonder if it will be for sprint. Does anyone know of any phones that are coming out soon in the future that will meet my requirements. it seems that most phone coming out that i like are for GSM networks only. I didnt see much for CDMA.

Last edited by jonlee83; 11-17-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Right now evo is the best Sprint offering. Not yet sure what it'll be replaced with. Just stay away from the epic!

Sent from my MSM using Tapatalk

Best... Member... Ever...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: A Perma-Temp Rooted HTC EVO 3D

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Looking for advice on a android phone

whats wrong with the epic? a friend of mine has one and he loves it
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Post Master General

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
That's just my opinion, the build quality of the device is subpar, the slideout keyboard doesn't even look suitable for anything but a LG Rumor, and the screen resolution is suspect... hold an Evo and an Epic side by side and the screen quality becomes a glaring weakness... add to that a lesser camera and I rest my case. Evo win in first round by knockout. Lol

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:19 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving View Post
That's just my opinion, the build quality of the device is subpar, the slideout keyboard doesn't even look suitable for anything but a LG Rumor, and the screen resolution is suspect... hold an Evo and an Epic side by side and the screen quality becomes a glaring weakness... add to that a lesser camera and I rest my case. Evo win in first round by knockout. Lol

1) The build quality of the Epic is actually better then the EVO >.>...

2) The slideout keyboard isn't that bad actually...whats wrong with it?

3) The screen is better on the Epic hands down >.>

4) Epic has a better camera then an EVO

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus Space Gray 128GB Jailbroken

piscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuffpiscesjoey knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to piscesjoey Send a message via Yahoo to piscesjoey Send a message via Skype™ to piscesjoey
Quote:

They're both great phones, but I chose the EVO over the Epic because its a bigger development scene for the EVO and after owning a Moment, I don't trust Samsung.

EVO on Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Post Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
1) The build quality of the Epic is actually better then the EVO >.>...

2) The slideout keyboard isn't that bad actually...whats wrong with it?

3) The screen is better on the Epic hands down >.>

4) Epic has a better camera then an EVO
Is this sarcasm?

The build quality is reminiscent of the TP1... and I think we all remember how wonky that was.

The keyboard is a noted step down from my TP2 (surely we can agree on this at least?)

The screen, I just don't see what you see... looking at the task bar alone I see pixelated graphics on the icons and notifications.

I thought the Evo has a 8mp camera... I also thought the Epic has a 5mp... how is it better?

Again, this is all my opionion from limited time in Sprint stores messing around with both devices. And just to clarify, I'm not challenging you in any personal way, me and you are cool G10, it's just not the device I would personally go with.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Is this sarcasm?

The build quality is reminiscent of the TP1... and I think we all remember how wonky that was.
Just cause HTC messed up TP1 does not mean Epic is bad..look at any Teardown video of a Galaxy S device and an EVO device..you will instantly see the difference in build quality...

Quote:
The keyboard is a noted step down from my TP2 (surely we can agree on this at least?)
Yes, but not by much...I actually enjoy using my kb on the Epic :/

Quote:
The screen, I just don't see what you see... looking at the task bar alone I see pixelated graphics on the icons and notifications.
So its sharp on the epic and blurry on the EVO.. difference being? the PPI on both devices are almost the same...but have you seen the difference between the contrast? the screen refresh? the colors?

Quote:
I thought the Evo has a 8mp camera... I also thought the Epic has a 5mp... how is it better?
Cause MP != Quality..its like saying whats better a container of 8 litters with 3 litters of water or a 5 liter container with 5 liters of water? The quality of the camera sensor on the Epic is way superior to the EVO..look at the comparison pictures.

Quote:
Again, this is all my opionion from limited time in Sprint stores messing around with both devices. And just to clarify, I'm not challenging you in any personal way, me and you are cool G10, it's just not the device I would personally go with.
Thats fine,everyone has their preferences...I'm just filling in the information as an Epic user..I fully expect you to defend your device the best you can and I will do the same...this in turn will give a comprehensive comparison of devices and info.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Post Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Just cause HTC messed up TP1 does not mean Epic is bad..look at any Teardown video of a Galaxy S device and an EVO device..you will instantly see the difference in build quality...

Yes, but not by much...I actually enjoy using my kb on the Epic :/

So its sharp on the epic and blurry on the EVO.. difference being? the PPI on both devices are almost the same...but have you seen the difference between the contrast? the screen refresh? the colors?

Cause MP != Quality..its like saying whats better a container of 8 litters with 3 litters of water or a 5 liter container with 5 liters of water? The quality of the camera sensor on the Epic is way superior to the EVO..look at the comparison pictures.

Thats fine,everyone has their preferences...I'm just filling in the information as an Epic user..I fully expect you to defend your device the best you can and I will do the same...this in turn will give a comprehensive comparison of devices and info.
lol I can dig it
Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia > HTC Touch Pro 2 > HTC EVO 4G
Threadstarter

jonlee83 is keeping up the good workjonlee83 is keeping up the good work

any phones coming out in the future that anyone recommends for sprint?

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion