PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 12:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

muzicman82 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to muzicman82 Send a message via MSN to muzicman82 Send a message via Yahoo to muzicman82 Send a message via Skype™ to muzicman82
Best Way To Manage Google Contacts?

OK, so... I migrated my Windows Mobile contacts over to Android with Sprite Migrate. Worked beautifully.

Then, I logged into Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr on my new EVO.

Now, when Google sync'd my account, I have 500+ contacts. Many of them are duplicates. What's the best way to manage them or combine them without going crazy? The Gmail interface will take forever. I'm thinking of something more like the ability to export them all to Excel, do my thing, and bring it back in. Now, I know you can already export and import CSV files. I tried this quickly, but there are lots of random <HTCData> and <Facebook> tags. Are those handling the linked contacts? I can't tell.

If anyone knows of a nice (hopefully free) program to help with them, let me know.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Best Way To Manage Google Contacts?

On your EVO, just go into the HTC People (or contacts if you are like me and hate everything about Sense) and go to View. There you can choose which contacts to show form which sources... and even say only show contacts with phone numbers.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Send a message via AIM to muzicman82 Send a message via MSN to muzicman82 Send a message via Yahoo to muzicman82 Send a message via Skype™ to muzicman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
On your EVO, just go into the HTC People (or contacts if you are like me and hate everything about Sense) and go to View. There you can choose which contacts to show form which sources... and even say only show contacts with phone numbers.
Thanks for your input. I'm already familiar with that. I was really looking for a way to clean up contacts and merge duplicates.

I did find this really nice post here. I started on some of it, so we'll see how it plays out.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

Link them. At the top right of each contact it will show what looks like broken chain link. If you click on that it will ask what contacts you want to link it with. Give that a lookins into.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah, found that. Works well for contacts that have multiple accounts with the same name. Unfortunately, many of mine don't.

I'm giving the link I posted above a shot.. Gist and RainMaker. I'm hoping they are permanent changes to the Google Contacts and not just a standalone app that reads Google Contacts. RainMaker is sweet but is only free for 25 contacts.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Almost a VIP

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

Just thought i would try. I haven't noticed what you discribed, and linking has worked great. I also install updated rooted roms without wiping anything, so nothing has changed for me.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Almost a VIP

Well if you link the bob contact with robert, mike with michael, and frank with franklin it doesn't matter. You could link victor with account info. Pick what you want to link. If your best friend is in your contacts and his wife is in twiter, link them to one. Add *2 bill pay to you're bosses email.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok, well here's where I go mad.

I am signed into the phone with Google Account #1. I also have Google Account #2 setup, currently to sync everything. I used Soocial to sync the contacts between the two accounts so they are identical. I didn't use the Soocial Android app. Now, I really do have duplicates of everyone in my phone. Should I turn of Contact sync from one of the Google Accounts?

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion