PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 05:06 PM
VFW Member
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can Android phones use your PC Internet for Data??

I thought I had seen this topic before, but now that I actually have an Android Device I can't find the Answer.

Similar to how I can Hook my Touch Pro 2 to my Home/Work PC and use internet/data on the phone using the PC's internet connection through Activesync. Can this be done on Android? An app maybe??

The reason I need this is because I get NO signal in my office at work.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch diamond
Carrier: TELUS

TKG26 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Can Android phones use your PC Internet for Data??

wifi? Im on my home network as soon as i get home..
Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
VFW Member
Threadstarter

gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
wifi? Im on my home network as soon as i get home..
No Wi-fi at my work. I'm there for 12hr shifts, and mostly in my Office. With My TP2 I just connected to the PC and used my company Internet access.

Surely I'm not the only one who used this feature of WinMo, although many probably didn't know you could.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
VFW Member
Threadstarter

No one??
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex
Carrier: Sprint

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
No one??
Based on what I tried to research I don't think its possible or atleast I haven't found anyone that has successfully got it to work. With winmo and activesync it can be done but with android you would have to figure out a way to bridge that connection with the phone using usb. Also does any of the pc terminals you use at work have any kind of wireless connectivity? I ask because even though there may not be an actual wireless network at your job if one of the pc's had a wireless card/built in wifi or something you should be able to set up that pc as an ad-hoc connection and run your phone wirelessly off of it but that brings up the issue of whether or not the phone will pick up an adhoc connection. So I guess thats the long way of me saying that I really don't know, sorry.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

This is the only thing that I have found and it works: Connectify - Turn your Windows 7 laptop into a Wi-Fi Hotspot
Old 09-15-2010, 03:28 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

why wouldnt the phones be able see adhoc?? most phones can.. i use my TP1s and TP2s to connect to my daughter and nephews iTouch, so i assume iPhone does as well... ive connected mt tp2s to my tp2s and it works fine...

i say just bring in a router and hook it up in your cubicle to your machine lol
Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

Stock android can't see ad hoc connections. A rooted user can change the wpa supplicant file to allow it. It was too much trouble for me so i just went ahead n installed connectify which works great...n its free
Old 09-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

i never noticed. i had my laptop connected to wifi a long time ago while my tp1 hacked to cricket (super slow 3g) was usb connected and had blazing fast net. took me a second to realize my phone was getting net from my laptop.

Leaving this for edit for a test.
Ok, so i downloaded htc sync for my evo and put it in airplane mode. connected to pc, no net connection. But I am using my sprint tp1 for net to pc and it is not providing net to evo thru the "net connection" of laptop. but it goes the other way. When my evo was providing net to laptop thru wifi, I could not get net to tp1 with usb connection. maybe I just can't get net from one phone to an other with a median (pc)

Last edited by jpwhre; 09-19-2010 at 12:50 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion