PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Dual
Carrier: Telstra

darkfibre50 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Skype ?????

Hi all you gurus
Does anybody here with all the contacts and inside links have any idea what the REAL story is with Skype.

Here are a few questions I am sure are being asked

Are Skype serious about android?
Is it a political thing with goodle talk?
Are Fring and Skype ever going to kiss and make up.
What other options are there for Skype and do they work?

Tks in advance

Last edited by darkfibre50; 08-23-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!
Carrier: Sprint

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207
Re: Skype ?????

Just my opinion, I thnk Apple has alot to do with this. Crazy thing is with Facetime and Skpe working on the iPhone, you would think Fring would want to leave the door open and come in big on Android device. I think its sabotage.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

darkfibre50 is a n00b

Never considered the IPhone connection.
You really think skype would get into bed with Apple?
Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Answer is, yes.. Problem is Verizon has an exclusivity deal with Skype. So until that exclusivity is over, only Verizon phones get a full working Skype.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

darkfibre50 is a n00b

Just a personal opinion and I don’t have any facts to back it up so this is a piece of fictional work but.

I believe Skype have been caught with their pants down.

With a skype IPO on the horizon I believe the new owners of Skype have sold their sole to Apple and Verizon for a presumed bottom line for the IPO offering.

Now when skype entered into this deal for, I don’t know 12 months or maybe even 2 years with these clowns, Android was a blip on the radar of smart phones out there.

Google has been all conquering and won’t say die. (Remember Google Chrome) Android was picked up by most of the BIG vendors as an opposition to Apple as there was no other contender. Windows mobile 7 has missed the boat so Android was really the only option.

You remember Beta and VHS recorders. Beta may have been technically better but VHS won the day by numbers and support. Well the open alliance handset consortium of Texas Instruments, Broadcom Corporation, Google, HTC, Intel, LG, Marvell Technology Group, Motorola, Nvidia, Qualcomm, and Samsung Electronics is not a group of names without some considerable development resources.

With all of these manufacturers supporting and developing Android it has gone ahead in leaps and bounds.

Now add a useable reliable operating system with a large array of powerful manufacturers and all of a sudden the application writers who can get the development kit for free (Unlike Apple who charge or a SDK) have a large base of new revenue users to pitch to. Therefore, they all start porting their applications for the Android operating system. Now add a bunch of users who have old windows devices and don’t want to sell their soul to apple but need to upgrade or lots of new users coming to the Smartphone market for the first time and bingo.

All this adds up to a real explosion in Android devices and poor old skype has been caught with its pants down bent over in front of Apple and Verizon. Skype are tied contractually to both these companies and cannot release skype for android (or let Fring or any other company use skype either) so all the Android users (now totalling millions) looking for skype and finding its unavailable.

Oh dear Google ever quick to seize an opportunity release a half bake product call Google Voice and even though its half baked and full of bugs its FREE. Even the outgoing calls to North America and Canada on the PSTN network are FREE, with calls to all other destinations a lot cheaper than skype.

See http://www.google.co...?answer=141925.

Ok. Half baked, early to market, not all that good but it is FREE.
Remember when Google were giving away its android phone?

Let’s move ahead 2 years from now. Google voice and Android is a solid reliable product thanks to the consortium. Millions of android users are using it because skype is still not available on android. There is also a port of Google voice for Apple and Nokia (Symbian) OS's and everybody says "I remember Skype, Didn’t they start this internet phone thing?

Now Google not only knows what you search for and where you go but also what you talk about. They will be able to hit you with advertising before you even realise you need whatever you are just about to need.

Buy shares in the Skype IPO?

I DON’T THINK I WOULD.

Shares in Google? Well that’s up to you.

I feel better now!!!

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion