PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 3G?
Carrier: Sprint

twilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BIG HEADS UP!! Google market

I am sure you guys already know the market isnt exactly safe well this is a heads up. Someone tried to use my credit card to purchase $524 worth of theatraical tickets in london. The only thing I have used that card for in the last two months is the google market and one online purchase, so I am guessing it came from the market. Anyway, I just got a call from my credit union this morning informing me of this.

If you are using a debit card to make your purchases I suggest switching to a credit card they are a lot safer and when something like this happens you are not liable. Also dont forget to check your statements or go online and monitor your accounts, there has been nomoruse reports of refunds not being givin or double charges.

Yeah this is all pretty standered blah blah blah lol but its just a heads up.

Last edited by twilk; 07-13-2010 at 11:40 AM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: BIG HEADS UP!! Google market

Sorry that happened to you, that sucks. I have, however, moved this thread to the general Android forums, since it could apply to all Android users.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

twilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stuff

Sorry about that I normaly just post in this forum and to me that was the general forum.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

No worries! I just thought that since the issue may be Market related, all Android users should have an opportunity to read this.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
Sorry that happened to you, that sucks. I have, however, moved this thread to the general Android forums, since it could apply to all Android users.
nice segue
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

damn that sucks dude, could you by chance list some of the stuff you downloaded from the market so we can see if its something in particular? thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Just because the last place you used your credit card was Android Market doesn't mean that it's the place where your credit card number was taken from...
Credit/Debit cards are contently being attacked by thieves. The chances are just as even that your number was taken that way as it was from Android Market

If I were you I'd do the following
1. Cancel your current credit/debit card
2. File a police report with your local police department

Thanks for letting us know!

Last edited by elephant007; 07-13-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant007 View Post
Just because the last place you used your credit card was Android Market doesn't mean that it's the place where your credit card number was taken from...
Credit/Debit cards are contently being attacked by thieves. The chances are just as even that your number was taken that way as it was from Android Market

If I were you I'd do the following
1. Cancel your current credit/debit card
2. File a police report with your local police department

Thanks for letting us know!
Correct and correct! The card was auto canceled once it was confirmed it was a fragulent purchase. Also considering the location the bad purchase came from it was most likely an internet purchase or an app store purchase that stole the number. This is just theory obviously. However my theory is probably good. I dont use this card for anything other then apps. I used it for an internet purchase several months ago for a set of Astro A40 headphones directly from the Astro A40 web site. I also used it on the net to purchase the yxplayer. Other then those two purchases all other purchases came from the app store. I highly doubt it was stolen from the astro site. It had to of been stolen from either the app store or the yxplayer site. I dont use this card to purchase gas or hit the mac machine.

The purchase came from London I live in the USA and have never visited London. Yeah it could have some how magicly got stolen from somewhere else but I highly doubt it. I dont have internet banking with this card its pretty prehistory in that regard lol so it couldnt have been stolen from my laptop. It most likley got picked up off the app store.

Also I am not hating just warning. I will continue to use the app store with a credit card only. The benifits of using a credit card are that a credit card is insured making it safer.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

I'm curious (since I haven't actually purchased any paid apps yet) - when you hit Buy, are you taken to a payment page set up by the app's author, or is it an Android Market payment page where they act as sort of a "go-between" for you and the app's author?

Edit: I just tried a few and all used Google Checkout, which to my understanding is very similar to using PayPal to accept payments - Google Checkout is acting as the payment gateway and the person your buying from never actually sees your full CC info... I still don't know if all purchases use Google Checkout, but personally I'd be leery of any that don't use that or PayPal or some other well known payment gateway... otherwise, you have no idea where your CC info is really going

Last edited by abrigham; 07-14-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

the numbers can be stolen easily by multiple people, numbers are sold in bulk on the internet all the time and could have even been sprint. i and many others about a year ago got a letter from sprint stating that an employee sold my information as well as many others to a source and to change and cancel everything connected to the account... i had 55,000 plus worth of ppc's ordered on my account but thankfully sprint got that cleared up after being on the phone with them for 10 hours plus... people online sell these numbers in bulk as well, they get the numbers before they are activated and sell thousands at a time to people over the net and just may have been your turn to have your number used to make these purchases.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion