PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

hotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows XP

Considering the potential of our new devices....What are the thoughts of our devices being able to run XP? Personally, I love the thought of being able to carry XP in my pocket. Thoughts???

Bare Minimum Recommended "Real World"

CPU 233 Mhz 300 Mhz +600 Mhz

MEM 64Mb 128Mb +256Mb

DISK Space 1.5GB 2.0GB +8GB

I think the hardware would support it. Please add to the conversation.

Last edited by hotspace; 06-30-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 3VO 3D

Mswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMswezey is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Mswezey Send a message via MSN to Mswezey Send a message via Yahoo to Mswezey Send a message via Skype™ to Mswezey
Re: Windows XP

psssh forget XP. Windows 7 is where it is at!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Windows 7 Starter seriously you still use XP why?

Droidrox39
Old 06-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Threadstarter

hotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhotspace is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I really don't think our phones would support windows 7. However XP on a handheld phone and still keeping phone functionality....that's where it's at!!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspace View Post
I really don't think our phones would support windows 7. However XP on a handheld phone and still keeping phone functionality....that's where it's at!!
Ya except windows XP blows I would never, ever install that garbage on my phone.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

Doesn't help that Windows XP is about to be unsupported...If I had a choice it would be Windows 2000...or Windows 7....atleast those two OS are pretty solid. I would have no use using Windows XP on my phone...why...cuz...I would be just like having Windows Mobile 6.1 or 6.5 on my phone...which is something I'm trying to get away from by upgrading to the Evo in August. So yeah...nice idea...but truthfully...I don't forsee it ever happening.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

I've seen Ubuntu running on an android phone.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
I've seen Ubuntu running on an android phone.
Yeah off the memory card..and it's painfully slow compared to actually having it on the phone. Personally I would rather buy a netbook and run Ubuntu than put it on a smaller screen like the Evo...not really practical when your icons and menus are 1/8inch tall or smaller...
Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: A Perma-Temp Rooted HTC EVO 3D

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
Ya except windows XP blows I would never, ever install that garbage on my phone.
whats wrong with XP? up until recently its been a rock solid OS
Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

it doesnt really have compatibility, at least in a manner that would bring decent results.

Sure, it sounds like it meets the minimum specs, but you must remember that XP is a i386 architecture and the phone is ARM. You're better off just leaving it with Android as messing with an emulator like bochs on an android bed is just too much and you won't get very good results for say, XP

Why would you want XP anyway? Don't say games because there's no way games would really run on this through an emulator and XP build. You're just better off with Android.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion