PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gregjuice is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hulu Plus

If you've just recently been to the Hulu site, you may notice something new--Hulu Plus. Supposedly it will be available on various TV's BluRay players, and even some moblile devices (Apple). At $10 bucks a month, this is a huge step for them, but i will probably end up diving in due to the promise of much more content. Does anyone know or have any opinion as to whether it will be coming to Android later, and if so, how it will run. Chances are i'll use it much more than Netflix, so maybe I'll just trade the two of them out and keep the budget on the same track.

I'm just looking for input here, hopefully somebody has more info than i do.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Hulu Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregjuice View Post
If you've just recently been to the Hulu site, you may notice something new--Hulu Plus. Supposedly it will be available on various TV's BluRay players, and even some moblile devices (Apple). At $10 bucks a month, this is a huge step for them, but i will probably end up diving in due to the promise of much more content. Does anyone know or have any opinion as to whether it will be coming to Android later, and if so, how it will run. Chances are i'll use it much more than Netflix, so maybe I'll just trade the two of them out and keep the budget on the same track.

I'm just looking for input here, hopefully somebody has more info than i do.
I think this concept is fatally flawed for TV shows at least. It seems that the major networks only care about the Nielsen ratings systems. Everyone who winds up watching their favorite shows through other means like this only contribute to the shows cancellation.

I also heard that even though you're paying for the content they will still show commercials occasionally so why even bother to pay for it then?

Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: ppc6900
Carrier: Alltel

Lost My Mind is just getting started

From what I've heard hulu is going to basically change their outlook on how to present their site. By that I mean, hulu has always been a place where you go to their site, find the show you want, and they have various clips of the show, and a few scattered full episodes.

In the future they'd like to call that model the free model. The paid model will feature all of that, plus every full episode that has ever been featured on the site in an archive mode. Yes, still have commercials, but you cant see those old episodes on the free service.

The free service you may see the 3 latest episodes from a certain show, whereas the paid version you can see those 3 episodes, plus every other episode from this season, last season, ect ect ect.

As long as at some point hulu features a full episode, it will later be in the paid archive version with commercials.

As for an android version, I've heard nothing. I wouldn't count on it, as hulu has (for whatever reason) been adamant about not allowing mobile versions to run the site.....even if the mobile device can handle it. Its not a technical issue, its an allowance issue. Hulu doesn't want it.

Although, maybe the reason they didn't want it is because they were planning this paid version for some time, and wanted it to be a "new feature" for paying users.

For the record though.... Youtube > Hulu.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

drtnsnw1 is a n00b

so can you watch the free version of hulu on a droid now at all?? Is that wat the new OS is supposed to allow you to do?

Chris
Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10796...m_ven=GOOGLEFI
no like in this. not android specific but still dont sound good.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake

I looked into hulu plus, but right now the content library isn't there. But rumor has it netflix is looking for android developers. Hopefully they will come through with something. I'm holding off, to see what comes of that.
~mike

Old 07-01-2010, 03:44 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideawake View Post
I looked into hulu plus, but right now the content library isn't there. But rumor has it netflix is looking for android developers. Hopefully they will come through with something. I'm holding off, to see what comes of that.
~mike
side job for ya mike.
http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/07/0...t-hiring-devs/
Old 07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

drtnsnw1 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
That would be AWSOME!!!!! I love my Netflix!!

Chris

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion