PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 01:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

Still_Waters_43 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Android VS WM FAQ

Is there a feature comparision between the two OS's. For example I see some posters saying that they can't see the files on their phones. Is there no File Manager in Anroid?, or is this a particular phone issue, or none of the above.

I am just curious about the differences, as initially I assumed that the would they would have similar features.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Android VS WM FAQ

none of the above
Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

You can view your files on your Android phone, the guy just doesn't know how to download a file manager and look at his files.

some other differences.

1) Android has widget support, winmo does not

2) Android has Live Wallpapers, winmo does not

3) WM has a better native task manager

4) Android runs faster and more efficiently because it is linux based (so does iOS)

5) In both OS's you can, in most cases, obtain full root access and view any files

6) In both OS's you can install apps from sd card or market, but the winmo market is a freaking joke and essentially does not even exist.

7) Android will continue to be supported, winmo 6.x will not

8 ) in Winmo you can completely change the UI, e.g. iPhone Today, Androkkid, Titanium, and other UI changers, Android doesn't have this yet other than Sense and upcoming Touchwiz.

9) Android actually has apps (I don't consider a cab that changes taskbar icons an "app")

There are other differences as well, if you have any more questions on it. I currently own an Android and a Winmo device, I like Android a lot more.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:34 PM
truth mirror
Pocket PC: N Deuce

w7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuffw7excursion knows their stuff

Have you used an evo orangekid? Just wondering how it compares to your hd2. I still wish sprint would get it.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
8 ) in Winmo you can completely change the UI, e.g. iPhone Today, Androkkid, Titanium, and other UI changers, Android doesn't have this yet other than Sense and upcoming Touchwiz.
those are today screen replacements and should hardly be considered "completley changing the ui" all those things do is make the today screen nicer the underlying ui is still exactly the same. the only overlay for winmo that could even be considered changing of the ui would be the newer builds of sense. android has alternate launcher programs for your home screens but the main diffs are in functionality the looks are virtually the same outside of course of sense, touch wiz, and motoblur
Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7excursion View Post
Have you used an evo orangekid? Just wondering how it compares to your hd2. I still wish sprint would get it.
I have used a Nexus One which is the same thing basically, and I like it much more than my HD2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
those are today screen replacements and should hardly be considered "completley changing the ui" all those things do is make the today screen nicer the underlying ui is still exactly the same. the only overlay for winmo that could even be considered changing of the ui would be the newer builds of sense. android has alternate launcher programs for your home screens but the main diffs are in functionality the looks are virtually the same outside of course of sense, touch wiz, and motoblur
Well Titanium is a completely different UI, and some others spb can completely change the UI.

iPhone today, for instance, can be selected under settings > home and does actually replace your UI fully as well.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion