PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Android Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Android phones and OpenDNS - How to? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=125660)

paustin 06-18-2010 10:14 AM

Android phones and OpenDNS - How to?

Morning all!

Question for you. How do I get a Hero to work with OpenDNS?

I purchased a Hero for my 13 year old. My wife are not overly conservative, but we want to ensure that our boys don't get themselves into something entirely inappropriate for their age. We will never let them have a computer in their room.

However, the Hero is truly a fully computing platform, and he can do nearly any thing that he wants, including getting to sites that would not be good for them.

We use OpenDNS on our computers to restrict access. How can I change the DNS of the phone to point it to OpenDNS? I cannot find the setting?

And, has anyone ever done something like that?

Thanks!
Pete

D\/8 06-18-2010 02:21 PM

Re: Android phones and OpenDNS - How to?

Follow the below steps to enter the WiFi Advanced Setting.

- Click Menu Button>Settings>Wireless and Networks.
- Now, Click WiFi Settings. This will bring you to an area where you can setup you WiFi.
- Click the Menu button the click Advanced.
- In here you can set a Static IP Address and then configure the Gateway, Netmask and DNS...

Hope this help as I'm not familiar with OpenDNS...

rainfreak 06-20-2010 03:10 AM

I'm not sure whether you will ever be able to get OpenDNS to work, though here is some great Parental Control software for Android. It costs $40, but that isn't too expensive when you consider what your 13 year old is looking at right now while you are sleeping...

paustin 06-21-2010 09:40 AM

THANK you for the information about Wireless. Can I set the DNS for the 3G/4G connection?

D\/8 06-21-2010 11:07 AM

I think your only option is going to be something like rainfreak recommended.

rainfreak 06-21-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D\/8 (Post 1827623)
I think your only option is going to be something like rainfreak recommended.

Yeah, unfortunately I do not know of a way to manually edit the DNS information for the 3G/4G connection and have never seen a walkthrough on it, so I doubt that is can be done (or at least easily by the masses).

plastek 06-07-2011 11:34 PM

If the phone is rooted, just edit /etc/resolv.conf.
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

plastek 06-07-2011 11:43 PM

Just realized the phone uses dhcp, so resolv.conf will get overwritten each reboot. Tomorrow morning I will see if I can work out how to set it on boot..