PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WM to Android ?

Some things id like to know about android before making the switch..

One thing i loved about WM was you could flash your own ROM with a completely different look and feel then the next guy who had the same phone ..
With android , will my phone look and feel exactly like the guys next to me ? or is there a lot of customization like in WM ?

Does android support MILLIONS of free aps like in WM ? I loved websites like freewareppc.net and the like .

The only way i can browse the web at home is through tethering on my TP2 . How simple is tethering on Android through WifI ? With my TP2 i just launched WMWiFiRouter and tapped the wifi icon and set my phone down and was done .. Is tethering that simple on the android platform ?

Thanks guys for your input !!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: WM to Android ?

The short answer is YES.

The long answer is too long for me to type out right now... But you should poke around in some of the threads. Especially those relating to the particular phone you are considering. Check out the Screenshot threads to get an idea about the phone's abilities and different looks.

All Android phones are a little different and some have bigger limitations than others.
But nothing that can't be worked arround.

Good luck bro.
p.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

lou2004 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (htc touch pro: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; PC36100 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I came from touch pro 2. I have the evo now. Android works better than wm in anyway. I rooted and installed sprint lovers rom. Free WiFi is included on this Rom
Old 01-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

IMO most android ROMS are the same thing with just a few different tweaks, not as in depth as a WM ROM when it comes to differences between the ROMS.

I can download 3 different droid roms, all the same with a few different looks and apps basically. :/

Apps - YES, android has tons of apps and apk's that are available from various sites for download

Tethering is super simple.

Hope this helps! And as he said up there, browse around the site. You'll get tons of insight.

Why do I have droid over WM? I love them both honestly but think WM was more fun tweaking wise. Droid is just super easy to use and understand.

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson
Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

are you talking about a full switch? or just running it on your TP2??? check my sig, im currently lookin to be persuaded to Android as well... there should be some good info in the link
Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

looks like I'ma need to move this to phone comparison? What you guys think?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Super genious in training
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

elesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on repelesbb is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
are you talking about a full switch? or just running it on your TP2??? check my sig, im currently lookin to be persuaded to Android as well... there should be some good info in the link
Just a complete switch . i already had it running on my TP2 and went back to WM .. its a hard decision to be honest ..

I just feel WM has more tweaking possibilities due to the whole Registry structure .

Im glad to hear android has a lot of free apps ^.^
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level

You can see all the apps available here -> Android.com - Market
You can sort by free and see what's there. Not all apps will work on all phones... But I have only come accross a couple that require your phone to be rooted.
p.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

With Android you can change the look completely just by using another launcher..or you can customize your homescreen look with widgets..

In reality Android has more tweaking ability then winmo..its just a matter of what your used to..if you know linux tweaking is cake...its just not as "Centralized" as a windows registry..but there are config files you can modify..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 02-01-2011, 01:38 AM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
With Android you can change the look completely just by using another launcher..or you can customize your homescreen look with widgets..

In reality Android has more tweaking ability then winmo..its just a matter of what your used to..if you know linux tweaking is cake...its just not as "Centralized" as a windows registry..but there are config files you can modify..
There seems to be way more that you can do with Android over Winmo, but I just don't have the know how to do it as much as I did with Winmo.

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion