PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

computerpro3 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any Android phones out there or on the horizon with the following?

I'm looking at moving to android from my TP2 as I'm sick of illogical UI quirks that plague windows mobile. That being said, I'm not sure if any of the android phones meet my requirements. I've done some research on several and find that all of them have significant shortcomings in several respects.

I need the following:

Verizon only

3.5mm headphone jack with good sound quality. No pops, hissing, or clicks with Ultimate Ears Super.fi Pro 5 IEM's.

GOOD full qwerty keyboard - something like the TP2's (I've heard the Moto Droid's is garbage)

Excellent web browsing - at least as good as Opera 9.7

Robust hardware accelerated video and music player, with a logical UI and the ability to sort videos separately from music. Ideally, I'd be able to view them as two different media types as with the iPod. This is something so simple and logical and it just blows my mind that the the TP2 sense video player can't do this

The ability to store, edit, and view Microsoft Word Documents

The ability to have multiple email accounts of mixed types (one pop3, one exchange, etc).

The ability to sort emails into folders and create client-side rules (in other words, a rule like "every time an email from xxxx@xxxx.com comes in, move to folder "Family". Need to be able to flag junk mail.

Facebook integration for contact pictures so I don't have to do it manually

Battery life - at least 12 hours of heavy usage

And most importantly, it must be significantly faster than my Touch Pro 2.

Are there any options out there for android that will meet my needs currently? It really doesn't seem like there is, which is disheartening. What about on the horizon?

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn
Re: Any Android phones out there or on the horizon with the following?

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerpro3 View Post

You lost me right there. That's kind of unreasonable for any smart phone regardless the OS, given that these devices are basically mini computers.

It is what it is, unless you buy a ridiculously large battery for it. Hopefully, battery technology will get there but for now, gotta make sure your phone is plugged in whenever not in use to have enough juice to get through the day.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

cg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcg83 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
I'm looking at moving to android from my TP2 as I'm sick of illogical UI quirks that plague windows mobile. That being said, I'm not sure if any of the android phones meet my requirements. I've done some research on several and find that all of them have significant shortcomings in several respects.

I need the following:

Verizon only

3.5mm headphone jack with good sound quality. No pops, hissing, or clicks with Ultimate Ears Super.fi Pro 5 IEM's.

GOOD full qwerty keyboard - something like the TP2's (I've heard the Moto Droid's is garbage)

Excellent web browsing - at least as good as Opera 9.7

Robust hardware accelerated video and music player, with a logical UI and the ability to sort videos separately from music. Ideally, I'd be able to view them as two different media types as with the iPod. This is something so simple and logical and it just blows my mind that the the TP2 sense video player can't do this

The ability to store, edit, and view Microsoft Word Documents

The ability to have multiple email accounts of mixed types (one pop3, one exchange, etc).

The ability to sort emails into folders and create client-side rules (in other words, a rule like "every time an email from xxxx@xxxx.com comes in, move to folder "Family". Need to be able to flag junk mail.

Facebook integration for contact pictures so I don't have to do it manually

Are there any options out there for android that will meet my needs currently? It really doesn't seem like there is, which is disheartening. What about on the horizon?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

there are apps in the market that can do what is highlighted. also you can setuip multiple pop3 emails on i'm sure most of the android devices out now.

as far as the rest. i'm not 100% sure whats on the market for keyboards. i think they are dying out fast. only keyboard phone i know thats coming out soon is the TP3 but that WM

moto devour is out now. it looks like it maybe better then the droid. the pixi and pre plus are out now as well. i'm not 100% sure on their specs.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

let's add
able to teleport me to different locations on demand

I agree with Blaze, 12 hours of heavy use, you couldn't get that from a flip phone

Other than that, i don't see anything unspecial with your requests, I switched to an Android phone from TP2 and it's much faster, more stable and can do just about anything the TP2 could ('cept for use in GSM countries I never travel to anyway)

Opera is/will be available for the Android xScopeG is a good browser with double tap & drag zoom in/out ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUAYyUQRb4Y
Old 04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

As cg83 said, there are apps in the Market for lots of your requests, some free and some paid.

For the headphones, I've never had poor sound from my Nexus One. They may not sound as good as an iPod or mp3 player, but they're pretty good for phones.

The default music player in Android 2.1 only does music and its layout is similar to the HTC AudioManager. The videos (depending on the type) will show up in your Gallery with pictures, or in a 3rd party video app (also available in the Market).

For the battery life, without an extended battery, that's a high expectation for any smartphone. I probably do light-moderate use and after 15-18 hours on my Nexus One I'll have around 30-40% left.

I agree with the others about the hardware keyboards though, they seem to be getting less and less popular. More manufacturers are going with the slim form factor. I don't know of any high-end Android phones coming that will have a hardware keyboard. I wasn't sure about going from my Touch Pro to my Nexus One (I previously had the Vogue/Touch and didn't care much for the onscreen keyboard). After a couple of weeks, I can type just as fast on my N1 in landscape mode as I could on my Touch Pro (especially with Better Keyboard installed)...not to mention the screen transition to flip it to landscape is MUCH MUCH smoother than any WM w/ keyboard that I've seen.

So, for Verizon, I would take a look at the Incredible (coming out later this month) and the Nexus One (coming out sometime this Sprint...rumored to also be April). Both of them have the Snapdragon processor which will smoke the TP2.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

my phone will last like over 16 hours with moderate useage. first 12 hours is light then i kinda use it and sometimes during that time i use gps or take pics or videos or something.

i have the tp2.

what my future phone will be is the "tp3 evolution" lol evo specs with tp2's phone design haha
Old 04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

Snapdragon/QWERTY/Verizon rumor, hope theyre right!!

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...-android-phone
Old 04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
As cg83 said, there are apps in the Market for lots of your requests, some free and some paid.

For the headphones, I've never had poor sound from my Nexus One. They may not sound as good as an iPod or mp3 player, but they're pretty good for phones.

The default music player in Android 2.1 only does music and its layout is similar to the HTC AudioManager. The videos (depending on the type) will show up in your Gallery with pictures, or in a 3rd party video app (also available in the Market).

For the battery life, without an extended battery, that's a high expectation for any smartphone. I probably do light-moderate use and after 15-18 hours on my Nexus One I'll have around 30-40% left.

I agree with the others about the hardware keyboards though, they seem to be getting less and less popular. More manufacturers are going with the slim form factor. I don't know of any high-end Android phones coming that will have a hardware keyboard. I wasn't sure about going from my Touch Pro to my Nexus One (I previously had the Vogue/Touch and didn't care much for the onscreen keyboard). After a couple of weeks, I can type just as fast on my N1 in landscape mode as I could on my Touch Pro (especially with Better Keyboard installed)...not to mention the screen transition to flip it to landscape is MUCH MUCH smoother than any WM w/ keyboard that I've seen.

So, for Verizon, I would take a look at the Incredible (coming out later this month) and the Nexus One (coming out sometime this Sprint...rumored to also be April). Both of them have the Snapdragon processor which will smoke the TP2.
u gotta try swype on the nexus one, I put it on my girl's and it is freaking awesome!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900, TP, Touch Pro 2, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

Timeband is just getting started

Quote:
I'm looking at moving to android from my TP2 as I'm sick of illogical UI quirks that plague windows mobile.

Don't forget that Capacitive screens are also coming in now, so (1) it will be difficult to get a phone as slow as the TP2, (2) your screen will allow you future use the resistive screen will never allow for, (3) the very illogical UI quirks will be gone, banished to another dimension where ruffle tuxedo's, lava lamps, and pagers have gone.

The TP2 is/was a great WM phone. I can think of 3 phones by April 29th that are Android and superior to it.

How much do I believe this?

I retire my TP2 for the Incredible April 29th.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion