PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Zori is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Customizability WinMo vs Android

Hey everybody!
I'm a Sprint customer, having had my touch pro for over a year now. One thing I really love about WinMo is all the customization I got to do with it, always changing the interface in some way. It always felt like I had a new phone to play with. Now with the Evo 4G coming out, I'm getting super hyped about it. My only gripe is that, with my very limited experience with Android, it seems like they all function, more or less, the same. I know this will come with Sense which will add something different, but can you have drastic changes like in Windows? I have been trying out XDAndroid on my touch pro and it got kinda boring kinda fast. Probably due to the lag and horrible touch, but still.. Is there anymore to Android then what's given by the seller? I know it's open source, which is supposed to be the holy grail, can anyone elaborate on this?

2nd rant: Evo has a bunch of amazing features, but every phone is eventually overshadowed. Does it seem like this is going to happen even sooner with the Evo? I mean, rumors about the iPhone HD and HTC Incredible are all around. The new iPhone will apparently have an even better screen than the Evo and match it's front-facing camera. Believe me, I hate iPhones with a passion, but I secretly really wanna be able to put my iPhone loving friends in their place. And as for the Incredible, 1.5Ghz? Seriously?? Ugh.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Customizability WinMo vs Android

the HTC Incredible has an underclocked 768MHZ Snapdragon...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/h...olor-scheme-a/

As for customization, i see Android to have the same if not more possibilities than winmo, you can change homescreen layouts and interfaces (spb mobile shell 5 coming soon...) icons, taskbar, wallpapers, bootscreens, dialers, widgets etc.

anything you can think of IMO

As for the EVO, im gonna have to see what the iPhone has in store but personally, id rather see a new Palm webOS device unvieled to get my interest away from the EVO since i much rather webOS to Android even though Palm's status dont look good enough to have a device ready to compete in the same time frame... time will tell

Last edited by MikeElGiga23; 04-04-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Zori is a n00b

Really? Hmm.. is this done mostly with apps from the market? Maybe that's why I assumed, it doesn't seem like theres as much going on in the android subforums and everything on here and XDA. The touch pro is certainly starting to show it's age and WinMo isn't stable enough for me to experiment much anymore with it. I'm probably gonna stay on Sprint since my family has pretty good plan going, so I think the Evo would be perfect for me. I just wanted to make sure I won't get bored of it. I mean, a great screen and a super camera are nice, but those features won't keep me on the phone for hours. I like to tinker and mess with things! Thanks for the response Mike20PR

btw is the Incredible 1ghz underclocked to 768 or 1.5ghz? Either way there's software to bring it back up to default no?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:07 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zori View Post
Really? Hmm.. is this done mostly with apps from the market? Maybe that's why I assumed, it doesn't seem like theres as much going on in the android subforums and everything on here and XDA. The touch pro is certainly starting to show it's age and WinMo isn't stable enough for me to experiment much anymore with it. I'm probably gonna stay on Sprint since my family has pretty good plan going, so I think the Evo would be perfect for me. I just wanted to make sure I won't get bored of it. I mean, a great screen and a super camera are nice, but those features won't keep me on the phone for hours. I like to tinker and mess with things! Thanks for the response Mike20PR

btw is the Incredible 1ghz underclocked to 768 or 1.5ghz? Either way there's software to bring it back up to default no?
yea, you can install Open Home,Home++, Sweeter Home, GDE (which i currently use) Spb Mobile Shell 5 thats coming soon, and a buttload of widgets, clocks, taskbars, keyboards etc. sky's the limit my friend. Plus, there are so many apps in Market that id doubt you will get bored quickly IMO. If you look at my Moment, you'd swear i had SenseUI on it lol. You can look at the homescreens posts here and on XDA if you want to see a few customized screen action. Good luck on your choice

as for the Incredible, as far as I know its a 1GHZ Snapdragon underclocked to 768MHZ, i bet the Android devs will clock it back up to 1GHZ when its rooted, who knows? maybe even higher lol.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zori View Post

Android is very customizable with apps and without. There are so many different themes and morphs you can do to it which changes colors and pretty much anything. In the end it is just as customizable as winmo. I don't know what you mean by not that much talk at xda. The nexus room always has new topics and conversation. The other day I had a couple of questions about morphing and people respond instantly. Honestly xda is on android so tough they have an xda app in the marketplace and its a beauty. I'm going to email wideawake about creating a ppcgeek app like theirs.
Google is the next skynet

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion