PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 07:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't get it...

Coming back to see my sister, gah I love the wya she has connections of trying phones. So she had the droid eris and the motodroid. And of course, being me, I play with it.

What a difference

the eris feels more complete of an os that would suit my needs (HTC and their magic). But the motodroid...felt a bit like the builds of android I have on my tp2. So I will generally ask the following question

What is the fascination with droid? Can you consider droid a full OS? So far I don't even while it is faster at email and text messaging, I find myself looking for this application or that application in order for me to get things done in a productive manner mixing play and productivity. I just don't see it. At all. I don't see the big deal of android and this is after putting some builds together of it myself.

Not meaning to flame anyone but I honestly want to know
Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: omni 2 and droid
Carrier: verizon

Dmordarski is just getting started
Re: I don't get it...

The Droid is the best Verizon Smart Phone available currently, plain and simple; The Touch screen is very responsive (no stylus needed), the lcd is crisp with a hi resolution, the cpu and os are snappy and quick, The phone can run for weeks without requiring a restart, There are developers making apps non-stop, most of these said apps are free or close too, emails are rendered perfectly, pinch zoom and internet are almost desktop like experience. If you need a app more then likely something is available or soon will be for the android.

I was a windows mobile user, however the cost of apps, the need for custom roms, the constant restarted and the need for a third party UI (spb) starts to get boring, I like to tinker, however I'd rather tinker with apps not the Operating System. The App market is drying up for winmo there are very few fully comparable apps being developed and those that are start a 9 bucks and move up.

Anyway this is the fascination of the droid for myself... might me different for others
Verizon
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

I think so because as far as a balance of productivity and fun, I don't see it in the droid. It just feels like the os itself is incomplete. The capacitive touch screen is quite snappy and tactile, which is very good, but when it comes to suiting my needs (for instance popping up word in library db while listening to music, emailing and texting to relay the research I have and in general having fun too), I don't see the motodroid fitting my interests. In fact, save from htc sense (which offers a panoply of applications out of the box and integration of fb, email from a few clicks - if that) I would literally abandon droid as an os. I like the development of droid, the porting of droid, but as far as droid itself, no fascination whatsoever
Old 03-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: ANDROID 2.2 Froyo Deodex
Carrier: Sprint

sprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to sprintgirl

I think for the most part I agree with your opinion of the Android OS. It is not very handy to the multitasker. I switch between my email, file explorer and browser all the time. You can leave the music running while doing other things in android... but the os is very very simple in my opinion and built more toward entertaining the consumer. Not that I require windows mobile for work...I do use it purely for entertainment but I totally prefer winmo. For the smartphone user market in my opinion I rank the os from easiest os (beginner) to the most intricate and complicated (expert) as follows: palm os (for stock user older folks that want a touchscreen), then bb rim os, android then winmo. It is harder to download in winmo but easier to pick a location for files and be organized. Android is simple one click and your ap is there. There will probably be more aps for winmo when we see win7 but maybe ap development has slowed because there isnt much left that hasnt already been done...anyway, agree or disagree thought I would throw my opinion in there.

Last edited by sprintgirl; 03-10-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Vogues & an S4 Mini

MrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuffMrGoodtunes knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
...What is the fascination with droid?...
What's fascinating to me is that so many geekers are so fascinated, so many new phones by so many different manufacturers have been and are now coming out with Android on them, available from so many different carriers, and so many new versions of the OS are being released so quickly. I believe a lot of WinMo users have become bored, and are looking for that good feeling they once had back when it was all new, exciting, and dynamic. Android sort of fills that need by being quick, slick, and changing rapidly.

It's no wonder, really, because Google provides it to phone makers for free! And they've made it "open" source to grow the available apps. Yet still, it's no where near to WinMo (now WinPho) in terms of productivity or whatever you call having a convergence device that does what you want and really need. Nor is it all that big in terms of PPC Geek interest, just look at the numbers of visitors in WinPho forums versus Android forums. It's currently about 15 to 1 in favor of WinPho. To me this is heartening because Google's intent is primarily to increase their revenue. They want to put in everybody's pocket a portal through which their ads can be sent.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodtunes View Post
Nor is it all that big in terms of PPC Geek interest, just look at the numbers of visitors in WinPho forums versus Android forums. It's currently about 15 to 1 in favor of WinPho. To me this is heartening because Google's intent is primarily to increase their revenue. They want to put in everybody's pocket a portal through which their ads can be sent.
Are you seriously trying to compare the two forums and their draw of viewers? The WM forums have been around for years and the Android forum for months; and the Android forums are ahead of all the other devices non-WM here. C'mon, admit that your comment made no logical sense.

As for Google wanting to make money... do you mean to say that M$ isn't out to do the same? And ads? Oh no, say it ain't so. I would rather put a phone in my pocket that works and has ads on it then a phone that kind of works and is ad free (but cost me twice as much to put in my pocket in the first place).

I really think you need to stick in the Vogue forums. You know, in the forum where people that have two year old phones hang out. You will never be able to understand what is going on in here... we are all about progress. And that you obviously don't get.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: omni 2 and droid
Carrier: verizon

Dmordarski is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintgirl View Post
I think for the most part I agree with your opinion of the Android OS. It is not very handy to the multitasker. I switch between my email, file explorer and browser all the time. You can leave the music running while doing other things in android... but the os is very very simple in my opinion and built more toward entertaining the consumer. Not that I require windows mobile for work...I do use it purely for entertainment but I totally prefer winmo. For the smartphone user market in my opinion I rank the os from easiest os (beginner) to the most intricate and complicated (expert) as follows: palm os (for stock user older folks that want a touchscreen), then bb rim os, android then winmo. It is harder to download in winmo but easier to pick a location for files and be organized. Android is simple one click and your ap is there. There will probably be more aps for winmo when we see win7 but maybe ap development has slowed because there isnt much left that hasnt already been done...anyway, agree or disagree thought I would throw my opinion in there.
One click and your app is there? Isn't that what Microsoft is trying to accomplish with there marketplace, you have no control where it installs the file or where it downloads. Its not harder to download with win mobile programs, you just have to search in anguish in all the forums, Pay your 15 or 30 dollar fee. connect the usb cable and drag the file into the system or run the executable... and then, wow you can install it on a sd card... sweet... This is Microsoft convenience in a nutshell, this is why there is a total overall on there operation system in the works, perhaps they will get new app development, only if there new os is amazing, and with Microsoft this is never the case, bing it
Old 03-14-2010, 03:32 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

sprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on rep

okay...android is simple and boring...dont know what u r talking about...and windows has a marketplace and cabxpress...and plenty of websites freewarepocketpc and such. and connecting to a pc via usb is soooo convenient...NOT. why is it a mobile phone? because its not attached to a freakn cord.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo

outerpip is a n00b

Jeez, you all are all about arguing. I have had my share of WinMo phones, and I have to say their productivity and convergence or whatever you said....not scrolling up to reread that long post, WinMo is quite a productive OS. BUT! I have had no problem staying productive on Android. They are both good OS's, and of course each company is out to make a buck.....that's generally what you do when you have a company that develops and sell products. We can be all be friend. Now, lets direct our argument at someone that deserves it a little more. Mr. Jobs, take the floor.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:40 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

funny how i said that was my opinion...these are all just our opinions...maybe u should have scrolled up and read. android has a long way to go in my opinion...and also in sprintgirls opinions category-this just in- u just like to follow people around and try to start arguments. if nobody debated anything do u think there would be amendments to the constitution or governments???? just plain tyranny...so tell me again what is wrong with a friendly debate?

Last edited by sprintgirl; 03-16-2010 at 04:47 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion