PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 07:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
All U.S. Android phones to receive Android 2.1, but some will require a wipe

Source: http://androidandme.com/2010/02/news...wipe/#comments

Considering over 80% of our readers with Android phones are running an outdated version of the operating system, I think most of you will find this interesting.

There has been some confusion over which phones would receive an Android 2.1 update and I am partially to blame. I authored a post way back in August that called into question the G1’s ability to receive future updates. Google eventually found a way to make Donut (Android 1.6) fit on the G1 and I was proven wrong. Since that time, I have maintained that the full version Eclair (Android 2.x) may not be possible on the T-Mobile G1.

After talking with several inside sources familiar with the matter, I would like to report that every Android phone currently released in the United States will be receiving an upgrade to Android 2.1.

Some phones could be missing features of Android 2.1 (live wallpapers), but they will all have an Android 2.1 firmware.

Now let me cut to the bad news. Select Android phones will require a wipe when they are upgraded to Android 2.1. I actually only know of phones that will require a wipe, so it could include all of them (minus the Droid which is already on Android 2.0.1).

Select Android phones will also require a PC-based install for upgrading to Android 2.1. HTC currently does this overseas with some phones and Samsung did it for the last Sprint Moment update.

The carriers are still working with the handset makers to determine if their updates will be over the air or through a tethered PC client. However, I believe most will be PC-based because this would allow the update application to make a proper backup, flash the SPL (if needed), and achieve a higher rate of successful installs (CLIQs to BRIQs anyone?).

Finally, most (if not all) Android 2.1 updates are still on schedule for Q2 2010. Sprint said their two phones were getting upgraded in early Q2, but I’ve heard the G1 and myTouch 3G will be the initial 1st gen devices to receive the update.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile
Threadstarter

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
All U.S Android Handsets To Get 2.1 Goodness?

Source: http://www.tmonews.com/2010/02/all-u...-2-1-goodness/

Posted at 10:51 am EST, February 27th, 2010 by Kickstar13.

Here is some news that will definitely excite those of you running an outdated version of the Android OS on your handset. The guys over at AndroidandMe are reporting that ALL U.S Android handsets will get an update to Android 2.1. But there’s a catch! Processor speeds will prevent all of them from receiving every single feature that is present on the Nexus One, such as live wallpapers. Nonetheless, the handset will have the Android 2.1 firmware.
Additionally, select Android phones will require a wipe when they are upgraded to Android 2.1, and some will have to do a PC install for the upgrade. U.S carriers and Android handset manufacturers are currently working out the details of the 2.1 upgrade and deciding whether or not to send out the update via an OTA or make users upgrade using a PC. If the update were to be installed from a PC, there would most likely be an application included to backup all the content on your Android handset. AndroidandMe also claims that all of this is set to take place in Q2 (April/May/June) of this year with the G1 and the myTouch the initial two first-gen handsets to get Android 2.1. Until we have further confirmation, this is going under the rumors column for now!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:01 AM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne
Re: All U.S. Android phones to receive Android 2.1, but some will require a wipe

thanx for passing along the info, cant wait to hear more about this!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: All U.S. Android phones to receive Android 2.1, but some will require a wipe

I don't know what's wrong with you two, I already told you exactly when Sprint will be releasing Android 2.1 for all their handsets.

When Android 3.1 is available to everyone else...
Old 03-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: ANDROID 2.2 Froyo Deodex
Carrier: Sprint

sprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to sprintgirl
Question Re: All U.S. Android phones to receive Android 2.1, but some will require a wipe

didnt u say feb 22nd tho? and its not out...so curious where this info is. just searched and everything says feb 22nd... i am hearing end of Q1 on my end at sprint. aka end of march.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintgirl View Post
didnt u say feb 22nd tho? and its not out...so curious where this info is. just searched and everything says feb 22nd... i am hearing end of Q1 on my end at sprint. aka end of march.
Me? Hell no! Check the thread about it in the Moment forum... I said 40% likely. I know Sprint way better than that!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: ANDROID 2.2 Froyo Deodex

sprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on repsprintgirl is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to sprintgirl
Smile Re: All U.S. Android phones to receive Android 2.1, but some will require a wipe

ok lol i was beginning to wonder about ur concept of time. my bad...searched all ur posts and thats wat i was seeing. great job on the permanent moment root btw!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

sorge is becoming a great contributor

I'm I the only one disappointed with the Google branded phones. Not getting updated faster? The g1, mytouch, droid and moment should get updated before phones like the hero, and with hero getting update in the next few months. What's taking so long. not to mention the behold 2 getting 1.5.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: hero cdma
Carrier: sprint

drksilenc is keeping up the good workdrksilenc is keeping up the good work

why should hero be last? hero was rated as smartphone of the year for 09 of course it should be the first. and for that matter besides the tp2 its sprints best smartphone
Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo

outerpip is a n00b

Rawr. I think that that's all a matter of personal opinion. They both have their ups and downs, as for the TP2 as well. All are great phones, and none should be pushed under the bus because of critic ratings. Besides, if the Hero was rated smartphone of the year, then why does Martin Cooper use a Droid?

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion