PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain
Question I'm new to Android... few questions

I have had nothing but WM phones for the past 4 or 5 years so I have become accustomed to a few things. What I really want is the HTC HD2 but I'm not really trying to switch from sprint to t-mobile so I will probably get the htc supersonic when sprint gets it. Problem is, I have never used an android phone so i have a few questions about android...

Is it customizable? No, I dont mean widgets or backgrounds... What I mean is:
Are there custom taskbars?
Custom roms?
Custom dialer skins?
Registry edits?

How is the app selection? That may sound strange coming from a wm user but one of my favorite things about wm is that if i dont wanna pay for an app I can google it or find a torrent for it... Is this possible with android?
If I have an app I really like can I email the install (.cab) file to someone else with an android phone so they can have it too?
When I install an app can I choose storage card or device memory? (If I remove the card will the program uninstall?)
If I do pay for an app will i get it back if I need to swith / upgrade phones?

Does it multitask?
How many apps can I run at once?
is it really easy to switch between running aps like it is on the palm pre or htc phones with the running programs triangle?
Does it need to be reset multiple times during the day?
These are just some of the questions I have about android can someone direct me to a site where I can find out more info?
Old 02-13-2010, 02:34 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty
Re: I'm new to Android... few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post
I have had nothing but WM phones for the past 4 or 5 years so I have become accustomed to a few things. What I really want is the HTC HD2 but I'm not really trying to switch from sprint to t-mobile so I will probably get the htc supersonic when sprint gets it. Problem is, I have never used an android phone so i have a few questions about android...

Is it customizable? No, I dont mean widgets or backgrounds... What I mean is:
Are there custom taskbars?
Custom roms?
Custom dialer skins?
Registry edits?

How is the app selection? That may sound strange coming from a wm user but one of my favorite things about wm is that if i dont wanna pay for an app I can google it or find a torrent for it... Is this possible with android?
If I have an app I really like can I email the install (.cab) file to someone else with an android phone so they can have it too?
When I install an app can I choose storage card or device memory? (If I remove the card will the program uninstall?)
If I do pay for an app will i get it back if I need to swith / upgrade phones?

Does it multitask?
How many apps can I run at once?
is it really easy to switch between running aps like it is on the palm pre or htc phones with the running programs triangle?
Does it need to be reset multiple times during the day?
These are just some of the questions I have about android can someone direct me to a site where I can find out more info?
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
No, there is no registry

Better than WinMo's. Many apps are free. If they aren't free and you want them to be you can't talk about them here.
No, you will need to send an apk file.
No, you have to put them on the phone as of now unless you are running a2sd2 then you have to put them on the SD card. Or manually insert into system. It won't uninstall, but it won't work either.
Yes, the paid apps follow you through your google sign in information. They will then be useless on your old phone for updates.

Smoothly. Infinite, but 5 or 6 with little slowdown.
Yes hold home and you have last 6 accessed (On hero)
No. some people get 300 hrs of uptime.
Well this site has a plethora of information as does xda, androidcentral, androinica, phandroid, etc...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain

Movies... can it play avi mpeg and other varioius video file types out of the box?

Can I assign custom system sounds like alarms, txt email (can i use my own wav files)
Old 02-23-2010, 01:43 AM
White Monster > Red Bull

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Movies... can it play avi mpeg and other varioius video file types out of the box?

Can I assign custom system sounds like alarms, txt email (can i use my own wav files)
No avi yet. It does mpeg.

Yes you can.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

one thing I HATE about all of the wm phones i have ever had (ppc 6700, Motorola q, mogul, diamond, touch pro, touch pro 2) is that if my battery is low and i plug the phone in and talk at the same time the battery wouldnt charge sometimes it would still die even while plugged in... will this be a problem with android?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:52 AM
White Monster > Red Bull

Quote:
one thing I HATE about all of the wm phones i have ever had (ppc 6700, Motorola q, mogul, diamond, touch pro, touch pro 2) is that if my battery is low and i plug the phone in and talk at the same time the battery wouldnt charge sometimes it would still die even while plugged in... will this be a problem with android?
Nope not a problem for me. It seems that it charges much faster than it drains.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

@thacounty... sprint is getting the hero2 (htc legend) are you going to switch?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 AM
White Monster > Red Bull

Quote:
@thacounty... sprint is getting the hero2 (htc legend) are you going to switch?
I will switch for something with a snapdragon and Nvidia Tegra. I haven't looked into the legend but if it has those the answer is yes haha.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:23 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

i for one am ultra pissed off at sprint for getting the hero2
or htc legend. after seeing the nexus one with 1ghz snapdragon
go to tmble and a bunch of other great phones being made... im
not interested in a little tiny 3.2 inch screen and 600mhz cpu
this is bull crap if they wanted a high end android device they
should have got the nexus one or at least upgraded thhe hero to
be equal to it. this is sad!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM
White Monster > Red Bull

Quote:
i for one am ultra pissed off at sprint for getting the hero2
or htc legend. after seeing the nexus one with 1ghz snapdragon
go to tmble and a bunch of other great phones being made... im
not interested in a little tiny 3.2 inch screen and 600mhz cpu
this is bull crap if they wanted a high end android device they
should have got the nexus one or at least upgraded thhe hero to
be equal to it. this is sad!
You got it.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion