PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

sorge is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If Android was like Apple and the real Iphone Killer

After reading reviews for the Nexus One(possibly at Iphone bias sites) I've come to a few conclusions, and I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking the same thing.

Lets pretend that back in 2008 Google and HTC form a team, to be the only Android maker, taking the Apple business model. They released G1, and waited....now we wait til yesterday and the world sees the Nexus One, compared to the G1 is the god of the two Android Phones, like comparing the original Iphone to the 3G. Now everyone believes the Nexus One is the best Android phone ever, and worth the wait. We have an easy Iphone killer, because its the only new android phone, and it is pretty awesome....but wait Android doesn't work like that.

Androids Timeline:

A little over a year ago HTC and Google gave us the Dream, since then the hardware and software have been updated and redefined through what is it 20 handsets right now? With the almost perfect SenseUI on the hero series, the great form factor of the Droid(wish HTC would put out something like this soon, with Sensesui), and the new hardware powerhouse Nexus One. All in just what 15 or 16 months?

IPhone Timeline:

June 2007, Apple makes a very user friendly, media friendly, finger friendly UI, (with apps!!!!111!!!!). June 2008 brought a better phone, with 3G and much faster. June 2009 brought hmmmm more of a "refresh" then an update.

Realistically the 3GS is a good improvement, but its like comparing the Hero to the MyTouch, the TP to the TP2. Apple will most likely do what it does with it ipods, and innovate at first to gain market share, then add features slowly to continue to sell more units.

The point kind of being, every few months we have a new killer android phone. At the same time the software on the older phones will be updated, making them more like the new phones.

You want an Iphone killer? Well thats not going to happen, since there will never be 1 Android phone. You have variety and selection, creating a powerful Market place, with cheap, competetive consently upgraded and renewed phones.

That is why any single Android phone won't be an Iphone killer, the ability to gain market share vs the Iphone(or Blackberry or WinMo for that matter) won't rest on 1 phone, but all of them. You like Moto, get the droid, you like HTC, you got plenty of option, samsung, LG, Acer, Dell. The Android OS itself is the killer, not any single phone.

Look at the reviews, the Nexus One is only slightly snappier then the droid, and the real issue is which form factor would you prefer? Then what you own is your own 'killer phone, and be happy with it, cause its pretty awesome.(i love my Hero)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbboyneko is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to bboyneko
Re: If Android was like Apple and the real Iphone Killer

Last edited by bboyneko; 01-06-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: GSM HTC Hero
Carrier: Telus HSPA

The_Gnome_ is a n00b

I second the cat.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:17 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Necessary steps to make an iPhone killer...

1. Allow Apps to the SD Card
1b. Put 8g or 16g in the phones themselves, then allow SD expansion! Talk about being better than the iPhone.

2. Battery that lasts longer than 12 hours

3. More compensation to developers at least initially so they jump Apple's ship and come to android. Maybe if you sell so many apps you get something.

4. Better Camera in the phones. Just because a phone is 5 megapixel doesn't mean it takes great pics.

E. Finger Friendly (Duh)

6. If you don't put at least a 1ghz processor, and 512/512 ram/rom, and allow apps to sd, you don't have a Google phone. Your phone can be allowed to run Android, but the market will not support your device. These numbers will be low this time next year, so it should go up when the first number of Android goes up. This will ensure that all apps in the Market don't have to be fixed for every single device. I can imagine this a hassle for devs.

7. Accelerometer should be controlled by Android, not by each device specifically.
7b. Same with light sensor and all hardware.

8. Better native SIP KB

9. No app limit (My Hero won't work correctly if I get more than 100 apps on it.)

10. Make it harder to Pirate apps. If this doesn't happen then we will lose ALL our developers.

11. Use Dazzboard to be able to use iTunes on Android, or make an app like iTunes that is Google branded. They have a great website, that I would venture to guess is most peoples home page, to show off this new app. Allow app install, music/playlist contorl, photo control, Google Sync, Local Sync, etc...

Lets face it, the apps and games make the iPhone. Just look at I Am T-Pain. The iPhone doesn't multi-task yet no one seems to care. It didn't copy/paste, yet no one seemed to worry about it. It didn't take video or send MMS but NO ONE cared! The issues that the iPhone have are far outweighed by the fact that you can get an app to make you feel better. I have seen a Tickle me Elmo app, while that is nothing I would want, it works.

I love my Hero and I love Android, but until some major issues are addressed we will be behind in this game. I can tell you that Android "works" and it "works" better than any WinMo phone I had.

Last edited by thacounty; 01-11-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Hero

nighteyes is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to nighteyes Send a message via MSN to nighteyes Send a message via Yahoo to nighteyes

I concur, I use my friend's ipod touch every time I hang out with him, and when comparing it to my touch pro, I wish I had an ipod touch/iphone. now that I have the hero, it is definitely 100 steps in the right direction...yet there are still some things with the "iphone" that I like over the hero, like its uber fluid'ness (that is only because it doesn't multi task so I cant take marks against the hero for that), and the keyboard on the iphone, which in my opinion, is still the best on screen keyboard in the biz, though I can easily live with the hero's.

From what android has taught me, is that one day soon, with all the advancements made, the iphone will eventually become another one of those "hey remember when nintendo was the end all be all of game platforms???" heh, i miss my old nintendo
Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

BlkCat is just getting started

So instead of an iphone killer, we have an iphone killing army? I can deal with that.

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion