PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Dell Venue Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=276)
-   -   Who's getting the Dell Venue Pro? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=136793)

937dytboi 11-11-2010 08:20 AM

Who's getting the Dell Venue Pro?

Im planning on switching from Sprint Sero to T-mobile no contract plan to get this Dell Venue Pro. IMO this is the best WP7 device out now. It fits my needs of a big screen and full qwerty keyboard. Hopefully thee shipments arent delayed till next year. If so this will give me time to see what else Sprint has to offer besides the 7 Pro. Ive grown weary of HTC products of yet.

nrfitchett4 11-29-2010 01:00 AM

Re: Who's getting the Dell Venue Pro?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 937dytboi (Post 1992962)
Im planning on switching from Sprint Sero to T-mobile no contract plan to get this Dell Venue Pro. IMO this is the best WP7 device out now. It fits my needs of a big screen and full qwerty keyboard. Hopefully thee shipments arent delayed till next year. If so this will give me time to see what else Sprint has to offer besides the 7 Pro. Ive grown weary of HTC products of yet.

I'd be weary of dell products at this point. first the wifi didn't work, now the new batch won't read sim cards.....
My htc's have always worked well.

darren.wlsn1 11-29-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 (Post 2003853)
I'd be weary of dell products at this point. first the wifi didn't work, now the new batch won't read sim cards.....
My htc's have always worked well.

see, heres the forum. lol
funny we just talked about this.

op i really like this phone but havent seen any bad reports on it yet, here is a good review.
Dell Venue Pro (aka Lightning) first hands-on! -- Engadget

livejazz 11-30-2010 08:24 AM

Don't get me wrong because I am a Dell Partner and a huge fan of the Venue Pro. I just want to make sure you have your facts. Dell replaced all of their employee's phones (brand left out intentionally) with Venues (25,000) and then took them back due to the problems including those mentioned, here, and including my phone. I can't wait to get it back because it may, potentially, be the single best device I've ever held in my hands. A solid business-like feel and even though the keyboard is a vertical slider, it's near the size of some of my early HTC keyboards. Here is a picture of the article you refer to and notice the date of the article. This date is actually pre-launch and none of the unfortunate hardware challenges were known, yet. Makes for good discussion, though, and all here are certainly more informed than the masses. When the Venue launches for good and I get mine back, I will definately be using it because the TP3 is not going to cut it for me.

matt

http://allgoodonline.com/engadget_date.jpg

darren.wlsn1 11-30-2010 08:31 AM

thanx for "first hand" info. so did they pull the consumer version or do we get ota fixes?

livejazz 11-30-2010 08:44 AM

kindof depends on where and how you got yours. I got mine through my MS Partner Channel as an MS Mobile Solutions Partner and Dell Partner, so I was provided with an RMA. As far as I know, the only other way it could have been had was at one of the 8 MS stores and, if that's your case, I'm pretty sure you just take it back there or call MS or Dell support for the RMA. There are actually two highly published challenges (wifi and SIM) and either or both could be hardware related so only returns are being processed as far as I know because there has not been a definative statement of whether the challenges are hardware or driver related. So if you have one, I would definately call Dell and give them the opportunity to issue an RMA your way. Hope this helps!

matt

livejazz 11-30-2010 08:49 AM

here's a good recent article that's just a little more vague than my reply :-) :

Where Is the Dell Venue Pro?

matt

brownhornet 11-30-2010 09:28 AM

You would have to be crazy to buy one of these now... Isnt Dell shutting their mobile department down and calling this phone a failure?

Dell's Mobile Chief to Quit - WSJ.com

Dell Mobile Is Gone, a Victim of Incompetence | BNET

:angry7:

livejazz 11-30-2010 09:47 AM

According to my resources, Dell is not ditching this phone. They do have some serious enterprise level obligations to fulfill. Regardless, if the phone is ditched it will not be available to buy from T-Mobile, the selected carrier, and won't be an issue. If it is not ditched and T-Mobile does sell it, then T-Mobile will take responsibility for replacements if Dell shuts down its mobile division. Dell does, however, have alot on the line to simply walk away from the Venue project. The article in my last post seems pretty clear and it seems the two in yours may just be media hype and trying to stir up drama and cast doubt, possibly originating from a Dell, MS, or T-Mobile competitor which is very common in the industry.

matt

brownhornet 11-30-2010 11:00 AM

Even if they put it out... theyve already had SERIOUS defects with it and the company is closing the mobile department down... why would you buy it? That makes NO sense. Even if tmobile takes over the mobile department whos going to manufacture replacements after January? I cant see any logic in that one... at all.

livejazz 11-30-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 2004574)
Even if they put it out... theyve already had SERIOUS defects with it and the company is closing the mobile department down... why would you buy it? That makes NO sense. Even if tmobile takes over the mobile department whos going to manufacture replacements after January? I cant see any logic in that one... at all.

I really don't want to get into a rant defense, but exactly where did you read or hear that the company was "closing" its mobile division? If it was one of the articles you quoted, that guy has been trashing Dell for years and he never said, definatively, that they were closing the mobile division because he would get sued if he did and is very clear about his speculation towards the end of the article. It has been speculated that he is on the payroll of a competitor and he cleared his statement up towards the end in order to sound more like an opinion (as it is) and to keep from being sued by Dell, T-Mo, and Microsoft. I have been entrenched in the mobile industry for decades (since before I retired from Submarines in 1992) and I am personally aware of much of this industry information. I still own and receive email to corporatemobilesolutions.com after I recently sold the company to a huge parent company. If something is different than I've been told and contractually notified, I would be very interested. Here is a quote from the end of his article with words like "prediction" and "figure (meaning assume)":
"The easy prediction is that things will continued to be messed up for some time at Dell, as the company tries to break up the product development and marketing groups and figure out where in the company to put them. Absent some miracle — or the arrival of a real superstar who could reform Dell’s processes and make them work smoothly — figure that Dell will end up completely dropping phones and tablets."
Regardless of this guy's history, there is no basis to certify that Dell is shutting down its mobile division, just the fanfare of a basher without credibility. With little exception, when an industry giant like Dell sells something, they support it. It is indisputable that Dell has had problems with their mobile division with converged devices, but they were very successful with PDA's and they have stood by and supported the products they produced. Dell is way too big, internationally, for such a tiny part of their business to affect them much, but it makes good speculation material for jokers, such as Sherman, to feed on and sell to those not familiar with these tactics. Hope this helps. Thanks for your interest!

matt

937dytboi 11-30-2010 08:11 PM

Well I placed my order today from my virtual cart hopefully it doesnt get cancelled. Little birdie told me it should be released tomorrow.

livejazz 11-30-2010 08:53 PM

awsome! Let us know how it goes.

matt

937dytboi 11-30-2010 09:50 PM

Livejazz im with on the 7pro not cutting it. Im really not into the HTC devices anymore. To many issues on all platforms. HTC is going to have to turn things around for me to ever consider them again. So Dell here I come dont let me down.

livejazz 11-30-2010 09:51 PM

can't wait to get mine back from my account manager.

matt

937dytboi 11-30-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livejazz (Post 2005000)
can't wait to get mine back from my account manager.

matt

That was a pretty bold statement saying its the best device you have had. What other devices are you comparing it to?

livejazz 11-30-2010 11:54 PM

I guess like most people who've been around the industry as long as I have, I've probably held and used most of the models and definately all of the form factors. I, personally, have used the HTC/UTC Starcom line since the 6600. Prior to that, myself and my employees used pda's tethered to a cell phone. "Pro" labeled phones of recent have gone to a definitive heavier feel to set them apart from some of the devices marketed to the consumer vertical and younger demographic. I like the portrait slider because it gives way to a larger screen and, yes, I do beleive business users need big screens, too. Not to watch tv or movies or to play games, but doing the same thing we do on our tp2's. There's not been an OS that has come close to the business capabilities of Windows Mobile (let's not get into that, please), so there was never any reason to try other os's. I never liked the keys across the bottom of the portrait orientation because it was too small for my hands to type with both and even a little difficult with one, but the Venue has the size to accomodate two-thumbed typing or one, if needed. I like that and no other device has had it. Also, the Venue has an uncanny sense of solidlity. I will say that the tp2 did step up with a little more solidity and umph than its predicessors. Also, the Motorola Droid line is quite nice, but taking everything into account, ie: form factor, screen size, os, architecture, features; I beleive it is, potentially, the best I've ever experienced provided the current issues are addressed. That would be taking into consideration my preferences, though, as listed above. Yours and other's will be different preferences. Does any of this make sense?

matt

937dytboi 12-01-2010 08:29 AM

yes this makes sense. Ive played with many devices myself but yet to find a replacemtn for my TP2. Due to all the issues of my TP2 and current devices of others, im straying away from HTC until they get their act together. The Dell has really struck my eye and it has really caught me to even leave my SERO plan with Sprint. I get a discount with T-mobile so im not paying to much more than if I upgraded the premium on my Sero plan. Ive had a good run with Sprint they definately have stepped up their game since the last time I had them and it can only get better. But hopefully I will have a mutual feeling about the devices as you do. I cant wait to get mines

darren.wlsn1 12-01-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 937dytboi (Post 2004999)
Livejazz im with on the 7pro not cutting it. Im really not into the HTC devices anymore. To many issues on all platforms. HTC is going to have to turn things around for me to ever consider them again. So Dell here I come dont let me down.

agree with you guys about pro7, its a joke imo and barely a upgrade to my tp2 and main reason i got a epic but maybe 2012 sprint will have a "real" wp7 device.

livejazz 12-01-2010 09:24 AM

Do you mind if I ask where you got yours because the TMO site does not have it listed and I am supposed to be able to buy a few thousand to kick off my site ( www.WindowsForPockets.com ). My Dell rep has no answers, nor does my MS rep so I am a little miffed that any other company is anticipating any certain delivery date.

matt

Clipp 12-02-2010 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livejazz (Post 2005224)
Do you mind if I ask where you got yours because the TMO site does not have it listed and I am supposed to be able to buy a few thousand to kick off my site ( www.WindowsForPockets.com ). My Dell rep has no answers, nor does my MS rep so I am a little miffed that any other company is anticipating any certain delivery date.

matt

It's out on Dell's site now... the 8gb and 16gb models for $99 and $149 respectively. Dell Venue Pro Windows Phone 7 Smartphone Details | Dell

darren.wlsn1 12-02-2010 05:32 PM

Dell Video Shows Venue Pro in Full Glory

Dell Video Shows Venue Pro in Full Glory

oldpueblo 12-06-2010 12:51 PM

So if I understand correctly, you can't just walk into TM and get this phone today?

smu 12-20-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpueblo (Post 2008262)
So if I understand correctly, you can't just walk into TM and get this phone today?

That's correct...they don't even have demo models that you can hold, so I'm waiting until my neighbor gets his before I make a decision on it.

zigg 12-24-2010 01:52 AM

I got mine in the mail today... It certainly is a very nice device. The screen is awesome, the responsiveness is awesome, the sound is awesome, keyboard is nice and wp7... awesome.

I can't wait for some updates though. I do kind of feel that something is missing... not quite sure what that is at the moment.

Cons:
I hate that it uses the mini-usb; as if I needed another something different to connect to my PC.
I've had some random freezes. Not exactly sure what has caused it, as they have occured at differnt times while doing different things.

The Machinist 12-29-2010 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigg (Post 2019249)

I can't wait for some updates though. I do kind of feel that something is missing... not quite sure what that is at the moment.

Lack of navigational arrow buttons... on virtual and physical keyboards... realized this when I tried to edit a spreadsheet for work and wanted to select multiple cells. Never a problem on the 'ol TP2! ...makes editing certain text a PITA too...

random freezing has been an issue for every owner. I'm a little less than pleased with the device.

roblord 03-12-2011 10:26 AM

Just got mine about 2 weeks ago, It is definitely a great device, I actually never use the physical keyboard on it. WP7 is definitely too easy to navigate coming from TP2 and WM6.5.3, but it gets you in and out in seconds(not like my wife says), it is super quick and the screen is more amazing than any I have run across and I sell all 4 carriers, wish the service was better(t-mob). It is sufficient, but from what I hear Dell is upgrading radio, wifi, etc in a patch around April 28th. Nice phone, and a great improvement over tp2 where landscape is always an issue. Streaming Netflix is probably the most impressive feature currently. Many more to come when xbox live portion catches up.

avinkool 06-20-2011 07:50 PM

Even if they put it out... they've already had SERIOUS defects with it and the aggregation is closing the adaptable administration down... why would you buy it? That makes NO sense. Even if t mobile takes over the adaptable administration whose traveling to accomplish replacements afterwards January? I deceit see any argumentation in that one... at all.