PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro > CDMA Treo Pro Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Father of the Treo Pro
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2/Treo Pro
Carrier: SPRINT

CFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Helpful Tips/Files on building Roms for Treo Pro

After MANY i repeat MANY hours of scratching my head with this device and wondering what that hell Palm did lol I think I have about everything figured out. This device is not set up like most and can be quite confusing for a novice or anyone for that matter. In this thread I will share my knowledge Ive gained so far on it and share some files with you.

First and foremost, these files are being shared with you as a courtesy, PLEASE DO NOT put these files in your rom and claim them as your own, all I ask is a little thanks or reference to where you got them from... thanks in advance.

Now onto the technical details of this device.
Carrier Settings/Bloatware:
Most HTC devices have carrier settings/cabs in the OEMOperators, and OperatorPkg, not so on the Treo. Palm wanted to be different. On the Treo pro, Palm mounts and EXT Rom on first boot to a partition. This EXT Rom cant be accessed unless you change some registry entries, to save you the trouble, here are the files contained in it: EXT ROM FILES . This rar file contains all XML's/Cabs for carrier settings and some bloatware. This dumping of bloatware can be disabled by deleting the references the EXT rom in the RGU in OEMOperators.

UC Autorun:
Palm again likes to be different and doesnt use the standard UC, they use something called "Varnish" its basically a prettier, more locked down version of UC Autorun. To disable, find the regs refering to it in OEMOperators. After it is disabled, simply drop a normal UC Autorun OEM in and your good to go.

Packaging of OEM's:
Although not just a Palm thing, it is still highly annoying. All CDMA devices tend to dump all files/Rgu's into one folder in the OEMAPPS. I have painstakingly compiled them and separated all the files and rgu's into separate folders. You can find that here: PACKAGED OEM's

Thats about all for now, please consider a donation if I helped you. Not mandatory but definitely appreciated.

Thanks,
-Cfay

CFay TP2 Port ROM! Check it out!
Changed my name from fayfay392 to CFay!

Last edited by CFay; 09-03-2009 at 02:30 PM.
This post has been thanked 13 times.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 800
Carrier: sprint

jaydube is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: Helpful Tips/Files on building Roms for Treo Pro

Mucho gracias
Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 850e (Pro)
Carrier: Sprint

gksmithlcw is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to gksmithlcw Send a message via AIM to gksmithlcw Send a message via MSN to gksmithlcw Send a message via Yahoo to gksmithlcw
Re: Helpful Tips/Files on building Roms for Treo Pro

So how does one go about cooking a ROM, then? I'm very interested in learning how to do this...

Thanks!

eNVENT Technologies
Use your imagination.
--
Sprint Treo 850e (Pro)

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Father of the Treo Pro
Threadstarter

CFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the communityCFay is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
So how does one go about cooking a ROM, then? I'm very interested in learning how to do this...

Thanks!
I would start off PPCKitchen and start disecting stock roms. There is no set instructions on building a rom, its mostly trial and error and learning as you go
-CFay
Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Send a message via ICQ to gksmithlcw Send a message via AIM to gksmithlcw Send a message via MSN to gksmithlcw Send a message via Yahoo to gksmithlcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFay View Post
I would start off PPCKitchen and start disecting stock roms. There is no set instructions on building a rom, its mostly trial and error and learning as you go
-CFay
I downloaded PPCKitchen but it didn't list the Treo Pro under kitchens... Also, where can I get stock ROMs?

Thanks a million!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Father of the Treo Pro
Threadstarter

Quote:
I downloaded PPCKitchen but it didn't list the Treo Pro under kitchens... Also, where can I get stock ROMs?

Thanks a million!
Yea PPCKitchen wont have a treo, its brand new Stock roms try searching around. Theres a 1.04 Sprint around here somewhere.
-CFay
Old 09-16-2009, 10:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Yea PPCKitchen wont have a treo, its brand new Stock roms try searching around. Theres a 1.04 Sprint around here somewhere.
-CFay
So if it doesn't have a kitchen, how am I supposed to cook a ROM?

I've got the 1.04 executable installer but I don't know where to find the .nbh file, which I'm assuming is what I need?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Father of the Treo Pro
Threadstarter

Quote:
So if it doesn't have a kitchen, how am I supposed to cook a ROM?

I've got the 1.04 executable installer but I don't know where to find the .nbh file, which I'm assuming is what I need?
Kitchen: Use any newer HTC kitchen.
EXE: If you have winrar installed, right click the EXE and click extract files. NBH will be extracted.

-CFay
Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Kitchen: Use any newer HTC kitchen.
EXE: If you have winrar installed, right click the EXE and click extract files. NBH will be extracted.

-CFay
OK, thanks. I'll give it a look.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo Pro, HTC Mogul

khalaan is just getting started

CFay,
A couple of quick questions.. do you recall what the executable name was called of the customization script that loads everything from Extended ROM? Also is the Extended ROM something someone can have custom to a ROM or is it independent of upgrades/custom roms, etc. I am currently running what I've started of a 6.1 ROM but since I am still just figuring things out I haven't gotten as much cleaned out as I'd like. Lastly do you have any suggestions for getting 6.5 running in a new custom rom? I had only briefly attempted based loosely on your existing ROM but wasn't able to get very far so I abandoned it (the ROM that Ervius was spitting out was only 7MB in size).

Thanks!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Palm Treo Pro > CDMA Treo Pro Development