PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

BroMarduk is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBroMarduk is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBroMarduk is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post [July 9, 2009] Latest PRL (51425) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

PLEASE READ THE FAQ BELOW BEFORE UPDATING YOUR PRL WITH THE ATTACHED FILES

Attached is the latest Verizon PRL (51425m) for America's Choice II with EDVO so it runs with a Sprint Touch Pro on the Verizon network. I've also included previous PRL versions in case someone needs to revert back to one for some reason. Note that the instructions below are for the newest PRL and if you are applying an older PRL, the numbers and names will be different.

Also attached is the Verizon PRL (51214m) for use with Verizon Pay As You Go (Prepaid) Service courtesy of Fixup. Since I don't have a way to extract the PRL from a Prepaid Verizon phone, I will not be regularly updating this PRL unless someone sends me a newer copy. I also have no way to test this so use at your own risk.

Tested on a Sprint branded TP running Sprint PRI's 1.47_003 and 1.53_003 and running on the Verizon network on 03/05/09. Note - I have not tried running with the new Verizon 2.01_002 PRI.

Q. Why would I even need this modified PRL?
A. For Sprint (and likely Alltel) devices on the Verizon network using ANY PRI, the modified PRL must be used to remove the roaming indicator. If you dial *228, hard reset or with some ROM updates, the PRL may be replaced and the roaming triangle will appear.

Q. Why would I want the latest Verizon PRL?
A. It provides the latest roaming information for the Verizon network. With the latest PRL the roaming triangle will be more indicative of true roaming notifications.

Q. What are the requirements for this PRL update?
A. You need a phone running on the Verizon CDMA America's Choice Network with a data plan. If you are using Pay As You Go (Prepaid), there is a separate file that can be used with this Verizon CDMA Option. You also need a phone using a different PRI (Sprint tested, it may work with others, but I did not test) than Verizon's. If you have a Verizon phone running on a Verizon PRI then you will should NOT use this PRL, instead *228<SEND> option 2 should update the PRL for you automatically.

Q. How do I tell what PRI or PRL I have?
A. On the Touch Pro, select the Start menu then Settings. In settings select the System tab and run Device Information. On the Device information screen there will be Items indicating PRL and PRI versions. 1.46_002 is the stock Touch Pro Verizon PRI. 1.47_003 and 1.53_003 are known Sprint PRIs. There may be other ones out there and ones for other carriers, but at the time this was written this was my known subset and only ones I tested the PRL with. If your PRL is 51425 or newer then you do not need this update.

Q. What are the files are contained in the ZIP file?
A. There are two files contained in the ZIP file, a .PRL file and a .TXT file. The PRL file is needed to follow the directions below in order to change your PRL. The text file is included for those who wish to compare against the non-modified PRL or a previous version and is not needed except for this purpose.

Q. How do I apply this PRL file to my Touch Pro with a non-Verizon PRI?
A. Follow the steps below. Note that a SOFT reboot is required at the end.

1. Unzip the PRL from the zip file and copy it to your device or storage card.
2. Dial ##PRL<SEND> (##775<SEND>) on your phone.
3. Enter your MSL unlock code (should be 000000 or six zeros) in the password box and select OK from the left soft key.
4. Select the Update PRL item by tapping or clicking on it with the stylus. Once it it highlighted, select the right soft key labeled Menu and select Edit from the pop-up menu (you could also tap and hold on the item and select Edit from the pop-up menu).
5. Select the Browse button when the dialog appears, then select the 51250m PRL from the list when the list appears. If the file does not appear, make sure the storage card is inserted correctly and that the phone is not connected with the USB cable.
6. Select the OK left soft key.
7. Select the Menu right soft key then select OK from the pop-up menu
8. A dialog box will appear indicating the phone will reboot.
9. Enjoy the new PRL. You can go to Device Information (see question above) to verify the PRL is being used. It will read 51425 in the status screen, not 51425m.

Q. I thought I could use *228<SEND> to update my PRL automatically.
A. You can if you have a phone with a Verizon PRI. If you have a different PRI (non-Verizon) loaded on your phone then if you use *228<SEND> then the PRL that is downloaded will not be compatible with the PRI and the roaming indicator will always show.

Q. Why does this happen and why do I have to do this PRL update manually?
A. It has to do with the mapping of codes in the PRI and PRL. If you have a Verizon PRL and PRI then *228<SEND> will download a PRL compatible with the Verizon PRI. If the PRI is not Verizon's then the PRL file that it downloads will not be compatible with the PRI and PRL codes will not match. The attached PRL file has been modified so that the codes align with the codes the Sprint PRIs expect.

Q. How can I make *228<SEND> work again so that every time I use it the roaming triangle doesn't come back?
A. You will need to install a Verizon PRI on your phone. Check around this site for instructions on how to do that. This will make the PRLs downloaded from *228<SEND> compatible again. The downside is that the GPS on the phone will not work with the Verizon PRI until Verizon decides to unlock the GPS feature. Once this happens I'll most likely move back to a Verizon PRI.

Q. Will this work on a Verizon Touch Pro phone on the Verizon network.
A. As stated above, if you are using a Verizon PRI (if you have a Verizon phone and have not changed your PRI from Verizon's 1.46_002) then you will not need this PRL and applying it will most likely give you a roaming triangle even when you are not roaming. If you are using a Sprint PRI to get around the locked Verizon GPS issue (the current fix does use a Sprint PRI from what I can tell) then this update will work for you. I did notice that the newest Phase I GPS fix for the Verizon phone does appear to contain either this modified PRL or one that someone else modified. Either way, you can check your device properties to see the current PRL version and if it is older than 51425 before applying this update.

Q. I went ahead and applied this to my Verizon phone with a Verizon PRI by mistake now I have the roaming triangle all the time. How do I fix this?
A. Dial *228<SEND> and select option 2. This should update your PRL automatically to the latest Verizon version and the roaming triangle should now indicate correctly.

Q. What versions of the PRL are available here?
A. I will keep the last 4 Nationwide and latest Prepaid posted on this site. Other versions that exist are included in the list below and can be requested if needed.

Prepaid PRL 51214 [01-13-09] - Available

Nationwide PRL 51101m [09-23-08] - Archived
Nationwide PRL 51143m [12-21-08] - Archived
Nationwide PRL 51190m [01-12-09] - Available
Nationwide PRL 51242m [02-06-09] - Available
Nationwide PRL 51250m [03-05-09] - Available
Nationwide PRL 51425m [07-08-09] - Available

Q. Will this work for other phones with a Sprint PRI on the Verizon network?
A. Most likely but I did not test any scenarios other than the Touch Pro. Your mileage may vary...

Last edited by BroMarduk; 07-09-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Updated with newest PRL & Modified FAQ (fixed some spelling errors)
This post has been thanked 33 times.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Vandi423 is a n00b
Re: Latest PRL (51143) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

Thank you for the well informed FAQ. Is this your first time modifying a PRL or have you done this before? I only ask because you have very few posts here but as a you can see I am a n00b in this forum too. haha

Thanks again, I will try it out in my next update.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

Glitch4583 is becoming a great contributor

EDIT: Disregard. Christ...running low on caffine sucks...

- Glitch

Last edited by Glitch4583; 12-22-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: vzw

creedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to creedin Send a message via MSN to creedin

works perfectly on an sprint touch pro on verizon, thanks...
Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

BroMarduk is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBroMarduk is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBroMarduk is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Vandi423,

Yup few posts here. I've been one of those guys who mostly takes from the forums, although in the past I've been on different boards and tried to help out when possible (pdaphonehome). I've had some down time for the holidays and a new phone (my touch pro) and was able to figure out how to extract and update a PRL and learned some stuff in the process and thought it was time to give back. Maybe my next FAQ will be on how to update the PRL to work with the Sprint PRIs . It's not that hard once you figure it out...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Vandi423 is a n00b

Thanks again for this. It appears that it has helped many people with getting rid of their roaming triangle.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Latest PRL (51190) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

Updated this thread with the latest modified Verizon PRL file (for use with a Sprint PRI)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular

Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroMarduk View Post
Updated this thread with the latest modified Verizon PRL file (for use with a Sprint PRI)
Thank you! Did you convert it with a program or by hand?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

helix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good work

Just to add to your FAQ...

For Sprint (and likely Alltel) devices on the Verizon network using ANY PRI, the modified PRL must be used to remove the roaming indicator
Old 01-13-2009, 07:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: PagePlusCellular

Fixup is keeping up the good workFixup is keeping up the good work

For those who use prepaid on VZW network, this is a modified 51214:

51214m.prl - 0.01MB
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development