PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA-Specific (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Separate forums for Epic and Fascinate (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=133455)

Johnny.Bravo 09-10-2010 07:04 PM

Separate forums for Epic and Fascinate

Well, I noticed the first post about the Verizon Fascinate popped up here today. Before it gets too congested I suggest we create separate forums for each.

I see two options:

1- Add 2 subcategories under the "CDMA Specific" topic - one for each phone

or

2- Simply rename this one "Sprint Epic 4G" (since 99.999% of the conversations here are about the Epic) and add a second topic called "Verizon Fascinate".

What does everyone think?

siptang1227 09-10-2010 07:24 PM

Re: Separate forums for Epic and Fascinate

I second this notion.

gTen 09-10-2010 09:28 PM

I think we should make it like this:

Samsung Galaxy Series

|
| --All Devices Upgrades
| --Captivate Upgrades
| --Epic 4g Upgrades
| --Fascinate Upgrades
| --Vibrant Upgrades
| --Accessories

As for themes and mods...since "All Devices" will alleviate some the burden they probably could go under Upgrades with [MOD] and [Theme] tags and ofcourse for roms [ROM]

Looking at the EVO it has 28 threads under upgrades and 100 threads for themes/mods..so should be no reason why we can't merge them in.

Johnny.Bravo 09-10-2010 10:13 PM

Well yeah, of course....you didn't see that under Option 3?

I could have sworn I put in Option 3.....:-k

Johnny.Bravo 09-11-2010 07:52 AM

I actually had a few minutes this morning to peruse XDA and I read something that we might want to consider regarding this idea. Someone over there mentioned that since the Galaxy S is spread out over 4 carriers that it will never have the unified development that the EVO has. I think reformatting this forum is an opportunity to not only clean it up and make the information easier to find (which, after all is why we do this), but it needs to be set up in a way that will create a more unified approach to development of the Galaxy S.

I like the idea of having a general category for all Galaxy S devices, but is there a way to cross-reference the different topics? For example if someone posts something for the Epic in the Epic section, and then it turns out that this will also work for the Fascinate, Verizon users will probably never see it.

I don't really have a solution here, but maybe one of you data mining experts out there can figure out a way to make sure the dev process doesn't get too fragmented.

daddymikey1975 09-11-2010 08:08 AM

I like this idea of more efficient organization.

We should PM a moderator and suggest it.

gTen 09-11-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksfoster (Post 1941453)
I actually had a few minutes this morning to peruse XDA and I read something that we might want to consider regarding this idea. Someone over there mentioned that since the Galaxy S is spread out over 4 carriers that it will never have the unified development that the EVO has. I think reformatting this forum is an opportunity to not only clean it up and make the information easier to find (which, after all is why we do this), but it needs to be set up in a way that will create a more unified approach to development of the Galaxy S.

I like the idea of having a general category for all Galaxy S devices, but is there a way to cross-reference the different topics? For example if someone posts something for the Epic in the Epic section, and then it turns out that this will also work for the Fascinate, Verizon users will probably never see it.

I don't really have a solution here, but maybe one of you data mining experts out there can figure out a way to make sure the dev process doesn't get too fragmented.

Cross-referencing is gonna require upgrades to the forum...what was suggested on XDA was similar to what I posted up where development is separated out and all cross device upgrades go to the General upgrade forum with tags such as [V][E][F][C]

Code:

Samsung Galaxy Series

|
| -- Upgrades
    | --Captivate Upgrades
    | --Epic 4g Upgrades
    | --Fascinate Upgrades
    | --Vibrant Upgrades
| --Accessories

Johnny.Bravo 09-11-2010 01:54 PM

OK, I get it. I didn't get the tag concept.

gTen 09-11-2010 10:18 PM

Also, I think maybe we would need to branch off Samsung Devices and just have a separate section called "Samsung Galaxy Series"

similar to how we see here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/samsung-devices/

Reason for this is those things are not visible normally and we only see "Samsung Galaxy Series" and the Device names such as Epic, Vibrant, Fascinate and Captivate are not seen..thus for those who don't know Epic is part of the Galaxy S may not know where to look.

daddymikey1975 09-12-2010 09:06 AM

Looks like they're working on some forum organization. I see under CDMA, we now have "epic" and "fascinate" subforums.. :)

Thanks mods/admins :)