PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA-Specific (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Battery charging slow? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=133263)

siptang1227 09-07-2010 06:39 PM

Battery charging slow?

Even when all the programs are off, my battery went up by 10% in 1 hour with blue tooth off with wifi off...

anyone experiencing the same issue?

gTen 09-07-2010 06:51 PM

Re: Battery charging slow?

Try using the charger transformer from the TP2...the one one the epic is rated 5v @ 700mA the one on the TP2 5v @ 1A

siptang1227 09-07-2010 07:51 PM

Hmm is it safe to do that? won't damage the battery or the phone? just scared messing with electronics lol.

gTen 09-07-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siptang1227 (Post 1937885)
Hmm is it safe to do that? won't damage the battery or the phone? just scared messing with electronics lol.

Well its USB..you can plug your phone to a PC it won't be same Amp as your transformer anyways...I don't see any reason it will damage the device mostly since both comply to USB specs.

Johnny.Bravo 09-07-2010 09:28 PM

Here is what I know about Lithium-Ion batteries. The faster you charge them the shorter that charge will last. Additionally, constantly fast-charging Li-ion batteries will reduce the life of the battery. Therefore slow low-amperage charging is better not only for how long each charge will last, but also for the overall life of the battery. Perhaps Samsung looked at the battery life issues the EVO is having and decided to go with a lower amperage charger on purpose in improve overall battery performance.

So no, I would not use a 1000mA charger. Stick with the 700mA charger and plan ahead to make sure you have enough time to get a full charge.

gTen 09-07-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksfoster (Post 1937976)
Here is what I know about Lithium-Ion batteries. The faster you charge them the shorter that charge will last. Additionally, constantly fast-charging Li-ion batteries will reduce the life of the battery. Therefore slow low-amperage charging is better not only for how long each charge will last, but also for the overall life of the battery. Perhaps Samsung looked at the battery life issues the EVO is having and decided to go with a lower amperage charger on purpose in improve overall battery performance.

So no, I would not use a 1000mA charger. Stick with the 700mA charger and plan ahead to make sure you have enough time to get a full charge.

Well the TP2 has a 1000mA charger and battery life for me is pretty good :/

Johnny.Bravo 09-07-2010 10:12 PM

Yes, but the TP2 doesn't have the battery life issues that these 4G phones have. The EVO and the Galaxy S line are practically laptop computers that you can make phone calls on. Battery life is going to be an issue for all the new phones coming out until some new battery technology is developed.

siptang1227 09-07-2010 11:22 PM

hmm interesting read, I learned something new today.
Thanks guys.

lawsofpower48 09-08-2010 12:23 AM

ya this battery does seem to charge for VERY long time.... i almost thought it was only my phone at first.... i could leave it there easily over 2-3 hrs and its not close to being done??

tsperez 09-08-2010 01:26 AM

Long, long ago we were always told that charging a battery slowly was always the better way of bringing a battery up to full charge. Fast charging seems to stress out the cells and shorten their life span.

I'm using the stock home charger (700ma) but my car charger is a full amp but that just gets used for short periods of time. I am adjusting my charging habits to this phone.

YMMV,
tsp
Sprint Epic