PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid > CDMA Moto Droid Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 01:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch alltel diamond
Carrier: Alltel (now Verizon)

inferno1 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Update! Adamz Smoked Glass Rom Version 6.0 - 15Mar2010

awesome, thats what i was wondering... just how much was already accomplished when i loaded droidmod...
i did notice on the SmokedGlass thread it said i have to perform a wipe device

"You DO have to Wipe Data & Cache if coming from Android 2.0.1 (ie. Smoked Glass v5.0.1) You will be prompted to do so during installation."
does this include wiping the SD card as well, or just the phones memory
if it doesnt include the SD card
then what all would i need to back up?

still somewhat new to Android, but correct me if im wrong
contacts and calendar are stored in my gmail account, so no need to back those up,
my apps can be backed up using one of the file explorer programs to the SD card, then reloaded using the same program after i flash the new rom...

thanx again for all the help
-Danny
Old 03-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno1 View Post
awesome, thats what i was wondering... just how much was already accomplished when i loaded droidmod...
i did notice on the SmokedGlass thread it said i have to perform a wipe device

"You DO have to Wipe Data & Cache if coming from Android 2.0.1 (ie. Smoked Glass v5.0.1) You will be prompted to do so during installation."
does this include wiping the SD card as well, or just the phones memory
if it doesnt include the SD card
then what all would i need to back up?

still somewhat new to Android, but correct me if im wrong
contacts and calendar are stored in my gmail account, so no need to back those up,
my apps can be backed up using one of the file explorer programs to the SD card, then reloaded using the same program after i flash the new rom...

thanx again for all the help
-Danny
There is no need to wipe the sd card.

I think you can use the wipe data but keep apps option, can't you? I find that a godsend with this ROM. I do indeed use Astro file manager to backup my apps just in case but this option gets you right back up for the most part. With other ROMs I do re-install from the backed up apps for speed however if I'm not mistaken Market doesn't know you have the free ones installed so you lose the upgrade prompts. So I later go and reinstall the free apps so Market knows I have them. Correct me someone if I'm wrong on that as I've been on AdamZ's ROMs for a spell. Your paid app status though is kept in the settings that I assume you allow to be synced up to Google's cloud.

FYI I also try and back up any special app configurations that allow for it so they can be restored after wiping and installing the new ROM. Among these apps for me are More Icons and Setting Profiles.

Finally, if keeping your SMS messages is important you can use a tool like WaveSecure to back them up and restore them.

Last edited by JonV; 03-16-2010 at 02:18 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid, Touch Pro2
Carrier: verizon

magicdan7 is a n00b

Let me know how it goes...I to am running DroidMod 1.o and I am thinking I would like to try Adamz Smoked Glass 6.0.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs
Threadstarter

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicdan7 View Post
Let me know how it goes...I to am running DroidMod 1.o and I am thinking I would like to try Adamz Smoked Glass 6.0.
Thanks,
Dan
Using the ROM menu select wipe data but keep your apps. It will re-download your applications after you set up the phone with a gmail account (first time setup)... just make sure you use the same gmail account that is currently on your phone or your purchased apps wont show as purchased any more.

Make an advanced nandroid back up first selecting all options. You can always go back
Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

So I just loaded the new rom, I must say that it was cake walk... thanx for all the help....
Two questions...
I realized I should have backed more stuff up like bookmarks and notes (from my note pad app). If I restore from my nandroid. Will those items comes back? (Will all my short cuts and Widgets be back on the screens?) Then I can back them up and then load the glass app again...
also one of the last menu screens for choosing options confused me... it said to chose what things I don't what. So I unchecked the helix launched and checked the IM apparently... but I now have the IM app but don't see the helix program.... did I just misunderstand the menu question?
Thanx again for everyone's help

edit: nevermind about the helix launcher issue, i found it on the SD card and still needed to load it...

but im still wondering about the nandroid backup? if i revert to it, does all my data (that i wiped with this ROM load) come back as well as things like shortcuts and widgets on the screens? thanx

Last edited by inferno1; 03-17-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

Humpa is keeping up the good workHumpa is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to Humpa

Quote:
So I just loaded the new rom, I must say that it was cake walk... thanx for all the help....
Two questions...
I realized I should have backed more stuff up like bookmarks and notes (from my note pad app). If I restore from my nandroid. Will those items comes back? (Will all my short cuts and Widgets be back on the screens?) Then I can back them up and then load the glass app again...
also one of the last menu screens for choosing options confused me... it said to chose what things I don't what. So I unchecked the helix launched and checked the IM apparently... but I now have the IM app but don't see the helix program.... did I just misunderstand the menu question?
Thanx again for everyone's help

edit: nevermind about the helix launcher issue, i found it on the SD card and still needed to load it...

but im still wondering about the nandroid backup? if i revert to it, does all my data (that i wiped with this ROM load) come back as well as things like shortcuts and widgets on the screens? thanx
If your nandroid backup is not from a 2.1 rom, then do NOT restore that data. It is not compatible. Either restore your stuff using titanium or manually if you never backed up your stuff with titanium.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

thanx for the reply.... so im a little confused, if i created a nandroid backup while running drodmod, and now im running Adamz 2.1, i cant boot into recovery and and do a restore?
will it hurt my phone.... i guess im a little lost now, i thought the purpose of the nandroid was to allow you to go back to a previous phone state incase the new one was corrupted or not working...

thanx for any help
-Danny
Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
thanx for the reply.... so im a little confused, if i created a nandroid backup while running drodmod, and now im running Adamz 2.1, i cant boot into recovery and and do a restore?
will it hurt my phone.... i guess im a little lost now, i thought the purpose of the nandroid was to allow you to go back to a previous phone state incase the new one was corrupted or not working...

thanx for any help
-Danny
You can restore you entire phone back to 2.0.1, but you CANNOT mix and match pieces from 2.1 and 2.0.1. So, if your data is from DM 1.0 (which is a 2.0.1 rom), then do NOT restore that data onto a 2.1 rom.

If you want, you can go back to using DM 1.0, download titanium and back up your settings and stuff. Then go back to the 2.1 Adamz rom and then use titanium to restore your stuff.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

ok cool, thats what i thought you were saying... at first it sounded like i couldnt go back at all....

so as a rule of thumb, any time i change to a different android release (2.0 to 2.1, etc) you always have to do a wipe data?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
ok cool, thats what i thought you were saying... at first it sounded like i couldnt go back at all....

so as a rule of thumb, any time i change to a different android release (2.0 to 2.1, etc) you always have to do a wipe data?
Maybe, maybe not. But from 2.0.1 to 2.1 you do. Ask me again when 2.2 comes out and we'll see if we still have to.

Or, just wait for the official update and there will be something in that that keeps all your apps, I imagine (otherwise lots of people will be rather upset!).

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid > CDMA Moto Droid Development