PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible > CDMA HTC Incredible Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Inc Root!! 12-2-2010 update: v3.22 will root after Nov. update!!

Wanted to clean this up a bit while I am here, The new version (3.22) will root the Incredible even if you recieved it with or updated with the November update.

You can find it here: unrevoked

The XDA thread is here: [ROOT] unrEVOked 3.21: one-click root for Froyo, no downgrading - xda-developers
(the thread over there has not been updated with new version info yet, but it is a great place for questions/support)!!

Last edited by syrguy1969; 12-02-2010 at 03:30 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Root root root!!!!

I am guessing that rooting is the same as an unlocker in winmo language .
Not that I care, but does rooting void your warranty ? ?
Radio
1.39.00.0627r
Old 04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Technically yes, rooting does void your warranty, but all you need to do in case of a brick or major problem you can just say you lost it (if you have insurance) and it will be replaced.

PS...The way I understand it rooting is a bit like unlocking a WM device in that you get super-user capabilities on the device and can change things that are written into the ROM (basically like cooking a unique ROM in WM terms).

Edit: Here is the original first post to clean it up and have it available for reference/curiosity:

Older posting!!!!:

*new*

EASY (PAINLESS) RECOVERY:
Here it is!! They just released it...follow the instructions here (you need a driver):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=706270

Here is their site: http://unrevoked.com/recovery/

Here is a video of the new recovery reflash tool in beta. It looks interesting and should be out of beta soon from what I have heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkaQe-uim5k

ROOTING:

Please don't try unless you know what your doing or are ready to accept it not working or a brick...it can happen:

* P.S. Sending a shout-out to ppcninjaz for posting this right here , it was just posted @ XDA last night (darned him for beating me to the punch LOL), so please hit him up with all the thanks we can!!!

I updated the original posting on XDA, and added a couple links for root directions for people interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmite View Post
I will add more to this as we get further, thanks go to the Unrevoked devteam!

While this method is now public, we are working on other methods still, but this will be useful to folks in the meantime. While we still do not understand the first adbd race entirely, we do know that there are some key differences in system timing seemingly from sdcard (mmc1), wifi (uses mmc0), and emmc (uses mmc2). If frustrated you may try doing things to change your setup.

Instructions here:

http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/do...db_in_recovery

Advanced instructions:
Code:
<6>[    5.326202] mmc1: Slot status change detected (0 -> 1)
...Bluetooth and wifi begin to load...
<6>[    5.481384] mmc1: new high speed SD card at address ff0e
<6>[    5.490112] warning: `adbd' uses 32-bit capabilities (legacy support in use)
<6>[    5.491027] mmcblk1: mmc1:ff0e SD02G 1.83 GiB
That is what a good dmesg will look like. please do a dmesg in android (not recovery) and see where you find those similar strings in yours. notice the numbers, 5.49 seconds is when adbd started roughly, a sd read was toggled at about the same time as you see, this means you win! Please look at yours and calculate how long a delay your sd card needs... then reseat it and try to hit that window...

NOTE: SD card choice seems to be a important factor in whether you get adb in recovery, in general the slower and crummier the card, the better.

The key is getting adb working in recovery. There is as of yet no easy way. reboot recovery, or reboot bootloader and go into recovery. try try try again...

To explain the method a little, there are 2 races here. It would be wise not to update any further if you get this, as they will most certain plug both our holes here. But in general the first race is in recoveries starting. It starts adbd, but also stops it. If for whatever reason the start takes longer than the stop, we win. The second race should be obvious looking at the instructions, but in short it verifies the real OTA update, while we swap it with a special one...

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/aWqBM.jpg

Thread found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=699088

So I guess we are just waiting on a quicker, more reliable (and user friendly I hope) way of os every-day Joe's to root our Incredibles!!!......UPDATE: It was stated in the IRC that the root team is very close to a fasy + easy way for root. It is being tested with good results, so hopefully soon!!!

What is Root? Why would I want to Root my Incredible? What does it mean? I am a NOOB help me understand all of this...
See here:
http://androidforums.com/all-things-...rooting-q.html

I want to help root and learn more! Want to elearn more and Developing for an Android/Linux Device...
See Links At bottom of Post #4 here:
http://androidforums.com/all-things-...21-2010-a.html[/QUOTE]

DiegoMejia over @ Android forums posted a video guide to the current way of rooting if anyone wants to look (I am more visual, so I am thinking it will help me follow it a lot better):

http://androidforums.com/915245-post1.html

Here is a link to very well written out and easy to follow steps:

http://www.incredibleforum.com/forum...art-added.html

I followed them and didn't have to go past method one!!

A really cool app that will do all the steps FOR you ...if it can get into recovery your golden, couldn't be easier. It does everything from downloading the needed files and placing them in the correct location (you do need to install SDK + sync yourself) to having eash step very obviously labeled on the app screen.

Didn't work for me, but I have seen people using it.

(I hope he won't mind if I attach it here for people that are not members in the other forum)
Attached Files
File Type: zip IncredibleRooter.zip (261.4 KB, 110 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by syrguy1969; 07-16-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Almost a VIP

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
Technically yes, rooting does void your warranty, but all you need to do in case of a brick or major problem you can just say you lost it (if you have insurance) and it will be replaced.

PS...The way I understand it rooting is a bit like unlocking a WM device in that you get super-user capabilities on the device and can change things that are written into the ROM (basically like cooking a unique ROM in WM terms).
Well , looks like I've got something to look forward to since the Imagio thread is starting to slow down , not much more I can do to that phone.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

man, the desire looks so sexy! wish they would have used that design for the incredible all good though, we will have a bit better specs. cant wait till thursday!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Almost a VIP

What browsers are the android favorites ??
Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

I am not 100% sure, but I think the Incredible comes with Chrome (appropriate for a Google device LOL). But I also know there is a Firefox beta working pretty good on the Android OS.

P.S. More on the rooting progress from acidbath @ XDA:

Not a problem...
In laymans terms...he has achieved Root acsess and still has to be able to jump a few much easier hurdles to make it work...
In essence the hard part is done...
And yestethering will be an option when Root is completely achieved...
And all othe apps and stles depend on the ROM you put on a Rooted phone...
Lots of Devs, myself included will have different ROMs for you to choose from when the time comes...
i will get a simple Tutorial/FAQ up here as well...
Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Almost a VIP

Great , i would love to read the tutorial and learn how to flash the Incredible.
Better to learn from an expert than by trial and error.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible!
Carrier: VZW

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff

root has been achieved for the desire! supposedly coming tomorrow. as long as our incredibles are very similar we shall see root in no time!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=669423
Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Almost a VIP

That's the difference between wm and android , wm it would be 12 weeks for an unlocker.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Droid Incredible > CDMA HTC Incredible Development