PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero > CDMA HTC Hero Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Sprint Hero
Carrier: Sprint

tkirton is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[Script][A2SD] Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5 Preview Fix 2 (07-02-2010)

Quote:
Want to know how to include Apps2SD support in your Rom? Check out the Apps2SD Guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...31&postcount=4
Introducing Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5 Preview Fix 2
Date of Release: July 2, 2010

Quote:
Fix 2 repairs issues with installing and removing JIT..just like Fix 1 did.
This is Darktremor Apps2SD, a powerful program that allows a user to execute applications created for the Android OS on their Secure Digital card (with the proper setup...more on that later). But, Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability. The goal is to be able for all users of the Android OS to be able to take advantage of a method to run their applications from a secure digital card.

But just because the Darktremor Apps2SD is all about stability, doesn't mean it isn't packed with features:

- Move applications (both free and paid) to the Secure Digital card.
- Move Dalvik Cache to run either from your Secure Digital card or from your cache partition.
- Boot Loop Protection: prevents the phone from boot looping in the event the SD card could not be mounted.
- Dalvik JIT for faster performance on Roms which support it.
- Three user selectable settings to set Dalvik heap stack, which makes Dalvik build cache information faster.
- Activate a swap partition on your SD card.
- Automatically fixes configuration issues.
- Users can check the free space on their SD card and check the installation to make sure all is setup correctly.
- Runs ZipAlign on demand...this makes your programs load faster.
- Allows the user to easily clear the Dalvik Cache without booting into recovery
- Designed with all different phones and roms in mind.
- Built in help system for easy reference of commands.
- All features can also be reversed without repartitioning your Secure Digital card.

Quote:

The program can be found here: http://www.darktremor.info/files/a2s...pf2-signed.zip
Not sure if you should use this program? Take a look at these roms that currently run Darktremor Apps2SD:
Quote:
Quote:
Daguu Espresso Rom v1.2 (GSM Hero) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=693069
Quote:
Kang-o-rama 0.9 Froyo ROM (Nexus One) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=6973422
eViL n-One-sh0t Noir 7 (Nexus One) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=698649
Quote:
Pulse Oscillation Rom R7B (T-Mobile Pulse) - http://android.modaco.com/content/t-...lation-rom-r7/
FLB-Mod (T-Mobile Pulse) - http://android.modaco.com/content/t-.../#entry1303318

Note: T-Mobile Pulse is made by Huawei, which puts this as the first phone outside the HTC phones that Darktremor A2SD works on. There's hope for the Samsung Moment yet.
I'm may have left some off this list. If your rom isn't on this list, send me a PM with the name and location (thread) so I know how to properly catalog it.
That makes 21 different roms across 6 different phones that uses Darktremor Apps2SD. And more roms have been tested and verified to work with Darktremor Apps2SD.

Last edited by tkirton; 07-05-2010 at 11:26 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tkirton is a n00b
Darktremor Apps2SD Installation Instructions

How to install:

Quote:
Since you are flashing this version to your phone, do a nandroid backup of your phone before starting these instructions. Also, it is preferred you use RA 1.6.2 Recovery, Godspeed Recovery or Clockworks Recovery.
Quote:
1. Download the program from the previous post.
2. Determine if you have setup your sd card with an ext partition

Quote:
if you have setup your sd card already (existing users of a2sd...any version):

A. Copy the program to your sd card.
b. Reboot into recovery
Quote:
if you have not setup your sd card (for those new to a2sd):
A. backup your sd card to your computer. can't stress this enough, as partitioning will wipe the entire card.
B. Reboot into recovery
c. In android system recovery, select partition sdcard
d. In the partition sdcard menu, select partition sd
e. Follow the instructions on the phone to partition your sd card. You can optionally set a swap file while you are partitioning your sd card.
F. In the partition sdcard menu, select sd:ext2 to ext3. Follow the instructions on the screen.
G. only perform this step if you want ext4 and your rom supports it: in the partition sdcard menu, select sd:ext3 to ext4. Follow the instructions on the sdcard.
h. Press the back button on the phone to go back to the main menu.
I. Put the a2sd file on the sd card (and all your other files you backed up earlier) by selecting usb-ms toggle and transfer the files to your computer.
3. In recovery, select flash zip from sdcard.
4. In flash zip from sdcard, select the a2sd package file you downloaded earlier. Press home to flash.
5. Reboot phone.
Quote:
Note: Due to an issue with the Sprint Hero source code, ext4 partitions may only work intermittently. You may not want to use an ext4 partition unless the rom you are using is certified to have a working ext4 partition. If you have issues with ext4, repartition your sd card for ext3.
Quote:
If you apply this program and your market suddenly stops working, perform the following steps:

1. Remount your internal storage to read-write by typing adb remount
2. Go into your phone's terminal by typing adb shell
3. Type /system/bin/a2sd fixmarket. This will relocate the market to /system/app and allows you to choose it in the all programs screen. You will need to drag it back onto your desktop if you want it there.
Quote:
Note: If you apply Darktremor Apps2SD and still notice internal storage is decreasing, this is due to the dalvik-cache not being moved. By default, Darktremor Apps2SD will not move the dalvik-cache on boot.

If you want to move the dalvik-cache to the sd card, type:

a2sd cachesd (move dalvik to sd card)
a2sd cachepart (move dalvik to cache partition)

Make sure your SD card is at least a class 4 before doing this, otherwise you may run into performance issues, unless you move the dalvik to the cache partition.

You still have other caches (i.e. Browser caches) and other data being stored and updated in internal storage, so the number of free space will continue to drop, but at a slower rate (unless you are engage in heavy web surfing, tweeting or facebook socializing.)

Last edited by tkirton; 07-03-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tkirton is a n00b
Darktremor Apps2SD Credits and Change Log

Special Thanks:

Quote:
Thanks to the following people for helping me with Darktremor Apps2SD:
Quote:
Toastcfh
- For assisting me in getting my test kernel setup to run ext4...that helped tremendously with development.
- For testing it (along with Flipzmode) on FreshToast 2.0 (CDMA Hero).
- For (along with Flipzmode) helping to identify the disappearing marketplace issue.
Quote:
shahid.malik
- For testing on VillianROM 5.5 (GSM Hero)
- For testing on VanillaEclair 2.0.1 (GSM Hero)
Quote:
Andrizoid
- For testing on Evil Eris 2.0 (HTC Eris)
- For including it in Smash Rom (HTC Eris)
Quote:
Framework43
- For adding to Evil Eris 2.0.1 (HTC Eris)
Quote:
DS36
- For testing on Eris Official 1.0 Alpha w/ Controllable Overclocking (HTC Eris)
Quote:
4SidedDice (and others)
- For testing it on DamageControl's 2.08 and later (CDMA Hero)
Quote:
Flipzmode
- For including it (along with Toastcfh) in FreshToast 2.0 (CDMA Hero)
- For including it in Fresh 2.1.x (CDMA Hero)
- For including it in Fresh Evo (HTC Evo)
- For (along with Toastcfh) helping to identify the disappearing marketplace issue.
Quote:
Kurt666
- For testing on Pay's ROM for Desire v1.4 (HTC Desire)
Quote:
Cordy
- For helping with general testing of Darktremor Apps2SD
Quote:
zygame
- For including it on Daguu_Espresso_v1.2_By_FlZyGaMeUp-Pre-release-2
Quote:
chuckhriczko
- For including it in SuperSonic v2.0 (HTC Evo)
Quote:
zenulator
- For including it in ZenEXP 0.9.6.2 (HTC Hero)
Quote:
crunchybutternut
- For including it in Buufed 1.7.2 (HTC Hero)
Quote:
.mac
- For including it in ZenEXP Eris Expresso (HTC Eris)
Quote:
Papa Smurf151
- For including it in Blue Echo 2.1.3 (HTC Hero)
Quote:
beezy420
- For including it in HoneyBun Rom (HTC Hero)
Quote:
britoso
- For testing it on Froyo FRF50 and FRF83 (Nexus One)
Quote:
djmcnz
- For including it in Kang-o-rama 0.9 Froyo (Nexus One)
Quote:
THATTON
- For testing the installation process on ClockworksMod Recovery.
Quote:
eViL D:
- For including it in eViL n-One-sh0t Noir 7 (Nexus One)
Quote:
t2noob
- For including it in Plain Jane T2 2.1 (HTC Eris)
If I forgot anyone...let me know.
Quote:
Change Log
Quote:
Darktremor Apps2SD version 2.7.5 Preview Fix 1 and Preview Fix 2
1. Fixed JIT installation and removal error.
Quote:
Darktremor Apps2SD version 2.7.5 Preview
1. Added Boot Loop Protection...moves app, app-private and/or dalvik-cache back to internal storage if SD card could not be mounted. Sets No Apps2SD flag.
2. Added Dalvik JIT.
3. Added user selectable Dalvik heap sizes (smallheap = 16mb, largeheap = 24mb, jumboheap = 32mb)
4. Renamed many programs with new .a2sd extentions.
5. Corrected bugs from Darktremor A2SD 2.7 Update 3r1.
6. Apps, Dalvik Cache and Swap Partition can be activated separately.
7. Install and Davik Cache to SD will not work if the SD card can't mount. This prevents a user-inflicted boot loop.
Quote:
Darktremor A2SD Version 2.7 Update 3r1
1. Fixes a bug in fixa2sd that causes the dalvik-cache to automatically move to the SD card.
2. Created a new program called launcha2sd that now does the launching functions of a2sd. The program a2sd now launches launcha2sd using bash. This fixes any /system/bin/sh issues with open brackets being interpreted at commands rather than conditions in an IF statement.
Quote:
Darktremor A2SD Version 2.7 Update 3
1. If a rom has the dalvik-cache on the cache partition, it will not attempt to move it to the internal cache.
2. Users now have an option to move the dalvik-cache to the cache partition. The option to move dalvik-cache to the SD card is still retained.
3. New commands introduced: cachepart moves dalvik-cache to cache partition, cachesd moves dalvik-cache to sd card (phased replacement to a2sd cache).
4. Fixes some minor bugs.
Quote:
Darktremor A2SD Version 2.7 Update 2
1. The /system partition returns to read-only state when the program is finished. The /data partition is left untouched.
2. ZipAlign does not automatically start on boot. You must type a2sd zipalign to activate the start on boot feature.
3. Taken out visual references of CyanogenMod's cm.filesystem.ready and DamageControl's dc.filesystem.ready. It now refers to both visually as "File System Ready property"
4. A2SD Check no longer mounts the ext partition. It will indicate when the ext partition is not already mounted. This should help in troubleshooting roms that do not automatically launch A2SD.
Quote:
Darktremor A2SD Version 2.7 Update 1
Reversed a decision on 2.7 final to set /system and /data to read-only when the program completes. This is causing major issues with some newer roms.
Quote:
Darktremor A2SD Version 2.7
1. Completely rebuild the entire program from ground up. Attempted to simplify the process and to better detect different environments.
2. All programs use the included busybox.a2sd to avoid conflicts with the different busybox installations.
3. Mounts /system and /data in read-write to prevent any conflicts. Remounts them in read-only when completed.
4. Except for a2sd, all programs built as bash scripts
5. Separated the original program into the following programs:

a2sd - Simple script that detects whether the init.rc was fixed with the cm.filesystem.ready and sets it accordingly. Starts starta2sd if either a command is included or the cm.filesystem.ready patch is installed, otherwise runs A2SD that does not move dalvik-cache. Runs a smaller version of the boota2sd if the cm.filesystem.ready or dc.filesystem.ready are not present.

starta2sd - Processes all commands...it's the controller program. Adds the following commands: align, zipalign, nozipalign, resetcache, clearcache, fixmarket, diskspace.

boota2sd - Used when the cm.filesystem.ready fix or the dc.filesystem.ready fix is present in init.rc. Resets dalvik-cache, app and app-private to internal storage upon the following conditions:
1. Mount failure or missing ext partition, and
2. Any or all key directories are symlinked to the SD card.
This step prevents a bootloop or a stall from occuring during the boot process. Also incorporates better detection of mounted partition. If it detects the partition mounted in /proc/mounts, it will skip trying to mount.
Automatically executes fixa2sd if the flags and symlinks to dalvik-cache, app and/or app-private do not match.
Also moved the mounting of the swap partition to the end and reintegrated auto partition detection when mounting (similar to A2SD 2.6.1). Added ZipAlign functions.

chka2sd - Incorporates bug fixes that did not detect the dalvik-cache correctly. New report layout (should be simpler to read). Code was simplified.

fixa2sd - Incorporates same bug fixes as chka2sd. Does a better detection of flag files and symlinks. Code was simplified.

setupa2sd - Used to execute setup commands from starta2sd (install, remove, cache, nocache, align, fixmarket). Also controls a2sd help.

aligna2sd - zip aligns all apk files in /data/app and /data/app-private.

010a2sdmodaco - Part of the Beta8 Modaco Desire testing, does the following:
1. If 02cachedalvikcache exists, back the program up and overwrite the program, preventing the contents from executing.
2. if 40a2sd exists, do the same thing.
Quote:
Darktremor A2SD Version 2.6.1
1. Mainly a bugfix. Corrects the dalvik-cache code where it would put the dalvik-cache back on the sd card even when the flag file was set.
2. Put the flag files back on /system/sd. Fresh 2.0d was incompatible with the new setup (it doesn't mount the /sdcard until later in the boot process).
3. Added code for Fresh 2.0d...the boot can be hung if the dalvik-cache is changed during boot. Program automatically determines if 04apps2sd exists in /system/etc/init.d (this is signature for any roms built from Fresh 2.0d) and automatically sets the NoCache flag if the dalvik-cache is in internal memory and the NoCache flag isn't set.
4. Fixed swap code. It was not turning on swap when it should.
5. (Release 1) - Fixed some minor issues.
6. (Release 2) - Recreated a new flash package that is more compatible with different recovery system.
Quote:
Darktremor A2SD Version 2.6
1. Moves all flag files from /system/sd to /sdcard. The kernel mounts the FAT32 SD partition and that will be available before Apps2SD runs. Future flag file creation will be in /sdcard.
2. Added a check feature (a2sd check). This will check your flag files and symlinks. A report on your screen will tell you what needs to be fixed, if any.
3. Added a repair feature (a2sd repair). This will repair your a2sd installation.
4. Flashing the A2SD checks Busybox installation and reinstalls it if necessary (it only checks for a missing Busybox installation...it won't replace the one you have installed).
5. Automatically remounts /system and /data partitions for read-write access when started with any of the install/repair options (install, repair, cache, nocache, remove).
6. Fixed mount command...now uses auto detect rather than the individual partitions. This allows A2SD to work on ext4.
7. Separate nocache version available for slower SD cards.
Quote:
Darktremor A2SD Version 2.5
1. Added functionality to move dalvik-cache to the ext partition.
2. Added option a2sd cache to manually move the dalvik-cache to the ext partition.
3. Added option a2sd nocache to manually move the dalvik-cache back to the internal phone storage.
4. Added option a2sd install to setup a2sd on a phone (all apps and dalvik-cache on ext partition)
5. Added option a2sd remove to revert all a2sd changes back to normal mode (all apps and dalvik-cache in internal storage).
6. Added option a2sd noswap to turn off swap partition.
7. Added option a2sd swap to turn on swap partition.

Last edited by tkirton; 07-05-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

czarlos is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to czarlos
Re: [Script][A2SD] Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5 Preview Fix 2 (07-02-2010)

How do you get your apps back once you flash a new ROM? I crashed my phone last night and was trying to flash back to Fresh 2.1.2 but didnt see all my apps that had been on my sd card. Ima noob I know so if there is a post somewhere that I did not see in the hundreds of posts I have been reading, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tkirton is a n00b

Did you do a nandroid restore at any point or did you just flash the rom?

If you flashed the rom, it should've detected your SD card and restored yoru programs.
You can type a2sd install in an adb shell. That will force Apps2SD to point to your SD card.

If you did a nandroid restore, you may have overwritten them with whatever was in the restore image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarlos View Post
How do you get your apps back once you flash a new ROM? I crashed my phone last night and was trying to flash back to Fresh 2.1.2 but didnt see all my apps that had been on my sd card. Ima noob I know so if there is a post somewhere that I did not see in the hundreds of posts I have been reading, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tkirton is a n00b

Added a new guide for those rom developers who wish to add Apps2SD support to their rom. Check out the first message for the link.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

czarlos is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to czarlos

Ok I jus flashed to Fresh 2.3.3 and adb shell a2sd install and it says installed and mounted, and I still dont see my apps.

I must be doing something wrong
Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tkirton is a n00b

Okay...two things:

1. If you flash to Fresh, you don't have to do the a2sd install. It will do that automatically.
2. Let's reset everything:

a. Type a2sd remove. This will reset the applications back to internal storage.
b. Type a2sd nocache. This will bring dalvik-cache back to the internal storage.
c. Reboot the phone in recovery mode.
d. Do a wipe on factory, dalvik-cache and SD card
e. Flash Fresh Rom
f. Reboot
g. Check to see if anything mounted/moved by going into adb shell and typing a2sd check. If the ext partition mounted but the Apps say they reside in internal storage, type a2sd install. Then type a2sd check again.
h. If everything's okay, type a2sd diskspace. This will tell you the amound of disk space used/free on the ext partition. Make a note of the numbers.
i. Download a couple of programs from the Market
j. Once they have completed downloading and installing, run a2sd diskspace. Make note of the free/used space. Did the numbers change? If free space dropped (or used space increased), then apps are going to the SD card. You can validate that by a File Manager or in adb shell, by typing ls /system/sd/app.
k. Reboot the phone. Once it reboots, see if the apps are present again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarlos View Post
Ok I jus flashed to Fresh 2.3.3 and adb shell a2sd install and it says installed and mounted, and I still dont see my apps.

I must be doing something wrong
Old 05-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: CREDO

tfhavel is a n00b
Unhappy Re: [Script][A2SD] Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5 Preview Fix 2 (07-02-2010)

I have a CDMA Hero and just installed Fresh ROM 2.4.0 on it, but I still have the old Sprint firmware on it (version 2.1-update1), which means even though I've got a new ROM I'm still running Android 2.1. It is further my understanding that you can't run apps from the sdcard unless you've got Android 2.2 -- which I had thought I would be getting.

I've tried "Flash ClockworkMod Recover" from within ROM Manager, and although it says it succeeded the firmware was not upgraded (so what was?). I've found various internet rumors that say the CyanogenMod version 6 has Android 2.2, but I'd like to be sure I have to use that and not Fresh 2.4.0 in order to run apps off my sdcard before I spend any more time on this.

Finally, I am quite puzzled by the fact that this thread says a stock Sprint CDMA Hero can use Darktremors Apps2SD, since neither Sprint or HTC is going to upgrade the Hero to Android 2.2, ever. And how does Apps2SD differ from the App2SD in the Android Market (which my phone won't even let me download, presumably because it knows it needs Android 2.2 and that I've got 2.1).

And help with what I should do next, and how, will be much appreciated.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero > CDMA HTC Hero Development

Tags
a2sd, apps2sd, darktremor