PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

parousia15 is keeping up the good workparousia15 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, FPS 'fix' for Epson + Nova, with hdmi out - Version 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchy View Post
As for gears, you should be able to get in the 50's, but it depends largely on the scaling parameters for your cpu.
Thanks for the explanation. Is "scaling parameters" something I can alter with setcpu? I have it install, but I have it set to just 998 and 245 ondemnod. I fear overclocking will break my cpu.

I've noticed that on gears, it's a little erratic, it fluctuates between 43-49, which makes it look a little choppy. I think it looked a little more smooth when it was consistently at 31fps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchy View Post
The default threshold in my kernel builds is 70%, meaning that once something is throwing a 70% load to the cpu at its current speed, it starts speeding up to deal with the load.
Is that why, the first time around when I run fps2d it works its way up to aboue 54-55 and the sd is larger, while immediately running it a second time, performance is more consistent?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro II
Carrier: US Cellular

smopoim86 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to smopoim86 Send a message via MSN to smopoim86 Send a message via Yahoo to smopoim86 Send a message via Skype™ to smopoim86
Re: [Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, FPS 'fix' for Epson + Nova, with hdmi out - Version 3.

3.7.3c and OMJ 1.7 here. I keep getting hard crashes on gps activation.

Last edited by smopoim86; 07-24-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Evo 4g
Threadstarter

netarchy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnetarchy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnetarchy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnetarchy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnetarchy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parousia15 View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Is "scaling parameters" something I can alter with setcpu? I have it install, but I have it set to just 998 and 245 ondemnod. I fear overclocking will break my cpu.

I've noticed that on gears, it's a little erratic, it fluctuates between 43-49, which makes it look a little choppy. I think it looked a little more smooth when it was consistently at 31fps.
Yes you can, if you go to the advanced tab in setcpu you can change the governor parameters. The 2 you're mainly interested in are sampling rate and threshold.
Sampling rate is how often the governor checks the cpu load to decide if it needs to increase the cpu speed, I personally use 50,000 (about .05 seconds).
Threshold is what % of cpu needs to be hitting before the governor starts increasing the cpu speed, I prefer around 70 to preserve that snappy feeling. Setting it lower can improve performance, but can increase battery drain.

Gears can be a touch misleading to the governor since it doesn't hit the cpu as hard as fps2d might. Generally I tend to advise people to fire up setcpu (or whatever clock control util they prefer) and set the governor to performance for the benchmark to see what your peak is. (Just remember to change it back to ondemand when you're done ofc!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parousia15 View Post
Is that why, the first time around when I run fps2d it works its way up to aboue 54-55 and the sd is larger, while immediately running it a second time, performance is more consistent?
That's exactly why.

When you first fire up fps2d, you're probably still running at min, and on that first run the governor will be ramping up the cpu speed to meet the load it's seeing from fps2d.

On the second pass, the speed is already scaled up a bit(unless you let fps2d idle long enough for the governor to scale the speed back down) so there isn't as much fluctuation.

Last edited by netarchy; 07-23-2010 at 08:51 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

netarchy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnetarchy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnetarchy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnetarchy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnetarchy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smopoim86 View Post
3.7.3c and OMJ 7 here. I keep getting hard crashes on gps activation.
Hrmm, this may be rom specific, I've been unable to reproduce any crashing.

How are you enabling gps?
Through the menu?
Through a widget toggle? (if so, which widget are you using?)
Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 AM
N00b

smopoim86 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to smopoim86 Send a message via MSN to smopoim86 Send a message via Yahoo to smopoim86 Send a message via Skype™ to smopoim86

Well, I'm going ahead and updating to OMJ 1.9, I'll see if the problem persists.

I'm thinking something is the system may have become corrupted. It was crashing when the gps was being used by an app. It was already on, but when an app searched for a location it would crash. Turning gps off stopped the constant crashing. I'm still not sure what the actual cause was.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC-EVO

JAMRZ69 is just getting started

hey net what was causing the wi/fi and 4 g issues in the previous release i was running damage control 3.23 but was having a huge problem with either 4g not turning on or wi fi not turning on and my 3 g kept cutting out so i bounced back to finisher evolution remix which i think is based off baked snack rom.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:38 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMRZ69 View Post
hey net what was causing the wi/fi and 4 g issues in the previous release i was running damage control 3.23 but was having a huge problem with either 4g not turning on or wi fi not turning on and my 3 g kept cutting out so i bounced back to finisher evolution remix which i think is based off baked snack rom.
It was a permissions issue that snuck in when I was editing the update script.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRo

ewilson is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to ewilson Send a message via MSN to ewilson Send a message via Yahoo to ewilson Send a message via Skype™ to ewilson
Someone please help me understand the benefit in flashing these kernel. What is the benefit in higher fps. What I'm looking for is a better way to send higher mms, better video encoding. Will these kernel allow this. Please help me understand how to use the faster fps.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2010, 02:15 PM
N00b

smopoim86 is a n00b

Well, it's working great now. I think something got corrupted before.

Can underclocking cause data corruption? I recall sering someone mention that somewhere.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:13 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smopoim86 View Post
Well, it's working great now. I think something got corrupted before.

Can underclocking cause data corruption? I recall sering someone mention that somewhere.
I'm not aware of any reports of underclocking causing data corruption.
Technically any speed under 998mhz could be considered underclocking. The phone by design scales the cpu speed as needed based on load, in order to save battery power.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development

Tags
evo 4g, netarchy, netarchy-toastmod, toastmod