PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

wherestheanykey is keeping up the good workwherestheanykey is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ROM] 01/10/11 | SPRINT LOVERS | 2.2 | 3.70.651.1 | Radio/Wimax/PRI All-In-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherestheanykey View Post
Well I typed in gizmodo.com and first I was brought to the mobile site, and that was almost immediate. Then I clicked on the Full View link at the bottom and again the page started to load, the green bar got about half way and stopped. It did this for 5 minutes, then the green bar went all the way to about 90% and stayed there for another 3 minutes and then fianlly finished. I think the last 3 minutes were all for loading the flash animation at the top of the page. Obviously this is a ridiculous amount of time, but not really sure it is ROM related. It does seem like maybe your problem and mine are both related to the interaction of flash within the browser not behaving correctly, but I'm just guessing.
Update, update: holy crap I walked away for an hour or so and by the time I finished my post and refreshed the page, I see a whole bunch of people have jumped on board. I am going to try the suggestion from Chris and see what happens.

Update: well I have tested a little more since getting home this evening and am more confused. I tried the full gizmodo site on my wife's Hero and it loaded completely in 1 minute and 10 seconds. So I tried it again on my EVO and it took 4 minutes and 52 seconds. Same site same 3G connection and the Hero (running stock 2.1) blew my EVO away regarding internet speed. Now I am really unhappy and suspecting either the ROM or the flash again. But since I am not seeing anyone else ingaging in this test, or reporting on their internet experience, whether better or worse, I'm not sure there is a lot we can do. And either way I am still having the Engadget flash video not playing in the browser, and the only response to my post so far confirmed the issue. So I may have to revert back a few versions of the ROM and see if things straighten out.
Baseband: 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel: 2.6.32.17-gee557fd-htc-kernel@and18-2 #15

Last edited by wherestheanykey; 01-19-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 4G

wherestheanykey is keeping up the good workwherestheanykey is keeping up the good work
Re: [ROM] 01/10/11 | SPRINT LOVERS | 2.2 | 3.70.651.1 | Radio/Wimax/PRI All-In-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1683 View Post
Try this and see if it helps. Using root explorer, delete the file "hosts" from within /system/etc and then reboot.
Ok I did this, rebooted just for good measure and went back to the full gizmodo site. Zoinks, it loaded in about 26 seconds. What a difference. Thanks a million Chris you have done it again.

Have you had a chance to try the Engadget test from my earlier post to see what you find? I am still having that issue.

Thanks,
Old 01-20-2011, 12:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO4g

srk468 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to srk468

Removing the hosts file worked for me too, thanks!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Dang I wonder if something is wrong with Android Mate? I don't have Root Explorer so I used Android Mate to delete the hosts file. I didn't notice a difference. In fact, I just confirmed that I have the issue over WiFi also.

Is there another app (free) that works like Root Explorer?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:29 AM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

So I just realized Android Mate doesn't really delete it, even though it says it does. I guess I'll have to buy that Root Explorer and try again.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:57 AM
VIP Member

Okay, after using ES File Explorer (free) to delete the hosts file, it did resolve the browsing issue.

Not sure why Android mate says it deletes it when it really doesn't, but ES File Explorer works if anyone out there is looking for a free alternative to Root Explorer.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 AM
The Inspector Mod
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

gadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDynamite View Post
Okay, after using ES File Explorer (free) to delete the hosts file, it did resolve the browsing issue.

Not sure why Android mate says it deletes it when it really doesn't, but ES File Explorer works if anyone out there is looking for a free alternative to Root Explorer.
That's weird about Android Mate...

WM 6.5 Taskbars | GadgetROM for Touch Diamond

Donations are always strictly voluntary and completely appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

SlyClone22 is just getting started
Deleting the hosts file worked for me too. However, does anyone know what the purpose of that file is or where it comes from and why all of a sudden this popped up?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyClone22 View Post
Deleting the hosts file worked for me too. However, does anyone know what the purpose of that file is or where it comes from and why all of a sudden this popped up?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
I believe the hosts file is from the Adfree Android app to eliminate ads in apps. Thats why the browsers would hang up because they couldn't process the ad because of a bad host file.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

8rotor8 is keeping up the good work8rotor8 is keeping up the good work

no one else had an issue with with he button not lighting up in the last build?
History of Phones: Sanyo 5500, Samsung VGA 1000, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8300, Samsung 970, Samsung 920, Samsung 880, Samsung Blade, Palm 700p, Palm 755p, Palm 800w, HTC Diamond, Palm Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2, finally a Palm Pre!!!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development