PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

chogori is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Odd OS corruptiom aftet multiple flashes

Hello,
My apologies if this is not the correct forum, but I need some help with a general issue I've recently encountered.
I just got a Diamond, became quickly fed up with the stock rom, and so I tried flashing it. Started out with MightyROM. Worked great. Then tried a few others (WinMo 6.1 and 6.5).
Then suddenly, every ROM I flashed would stop working after a few hours of use. I get weird certificate issues when trying to run applications, icons would be missing, etc.
Upon reset, one of 3 things happens: phone hangs at Diamond screen, OS would load and then hang, or OS will automatically rerun customize and setup. I then have toreflash the ROM.
I've tried clearing my storage.
Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:00 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EvoLTE,3D, Iphone 4s

2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 2k4mach Send a message via MSN to 2k4mach Send a message via Yahoo to 2k4mach
Re: Odd OS corruptiom aftet multiple flashes

flash to the stock shipped rom and then reflash to whatever custom rom you want.

quite a bit of talk regarding this in prolly every custom rom thread
Old 06-14-2009, 12:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch and TP2

sadthai is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsadthai is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsadthai is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsadthai is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4mach View Post
flash to the stock shipped rom and then reflash to whatever custom rom you want.

quite a bit of talk regarding this in prolly every custom rom thread
yes, what 2k4mach said. i have always doubt this method because i couldnt understand how it would help. flashing would wipe everything out like reformat and re-install an os image. well,l i experienced a similar issue, but my rom/files would get corrupted within few minutes after a flash. i flashed back to stock/shipped rom and reflashed the custom rom, and hasnt experience any issue after that. i'm a believer now.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo 4g
Carrier: sprint

toenail is keeping up the good worktoenail is keeping up the good work

if youve tried loading either shipped or stock and it just hangs after customizations then your pretty much screwed.. your best bet is load a shipped rom, at the screen alignment load the diamond relocker and take it back to sprint.. did that to mine yesterday and it was approved for a replacement.. i get my new one tomorrow.. but know matter what you do now its never going to get fixed... im my personal opinion i think avoiding the 6.5 roms is the way to go..

and you were correct, wrong forum

Old 06-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

I think your device has experienced indecent exposure.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:52 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toenail View Post
if youve tried loading either shipped or stock and it just hangs after customizations then your pretty much screwed.. your best bet is load a shipped rom, at the screen alignment load the diamond relocker and take it back to sprint.. did that to mine yesterday and it was approved for a replacement.. i get my new one tomorrow.. but know matter what you do now its never going to get fixed... im my personal opinion i think avoiding the 6.5 roms is the way to go..

and you were correct, wrong forum
A little extreme ... he hasn't tried flashing back to shipped, yet. And, there's nothing wrong with 6.5 roms ... many of us have been using them for months ... just follow the suggestions for flashing back to shipped, etc ...
Old 06-14-2009, 03:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

linzgeneral is keeping up the good worklinzgeneral is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
A little extreme ... he hasn't tried flashing back to shipped, yet. And, there's nothing wrong with 6.5 roms ... many of us have been using them for months ... just follow the suggestions for flashing back to shipped, etc ...
Unfortunately, I have flashed back to the shipped rom at least six times and my issue, described verbatim in the original post, is actually getting worse with eash 6.5 rom that I flash. It's gotten to the point where it takes about 10 consecutive hard resets to get back to a state where I can even attempt to flash to something else. I think my phone is fried. Last resort is flashing to only 6.1 roms and observe the behavior/difference. My phone isnt too old (2 months) and I really dont flash too often.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:44 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
...And, there's nothing wrong with 6.5 roms ... many of us have been using them for months ... .
Actually, I do have a different experience with 6.5 ROMs. I've been using kitchens back to the Apache/6700 days. And Mogul, Touch and Diamond kitchens.

I have had several 6.5 flash problems - with several 6.5 kitchens. Juicy's had the most problems. Up until last week, a flash to either 6.1 Sprint stock, or my 6.1 custom ROM worked fine. However, last week, after a 6.5 problem, I flashed to my 6.1 custom. It then had several problems (e.g. couldn't send a text message), so had to flash to stock.

So, in my experience, there IS something strange going on with the 6.5 ROMs.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc evo 4g

toenail is keeping up the good worktoenail is keeping up the good work

Quote:
i wont say its extreme since i did say "if youve tried loading either shipped or stock and it just hangs after customizations then your pretty much screwed"
many have not had issues with 6.5 however many have as well.. none of these issues were experienced with previous roms.. to me the risks are worth it
Old 06-15-2009, 12:50 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Threadstarter

chogori is a n00b

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies!
I'll try to flash the stock ROM, clear storage, and then flash back the ROM I'd like to use to see if that remedies my issues.
I'll report back soon.

As a side note, does anyone know why this corruption occurs?
I wonder if there's an issue with a kitchen that is corrupting memory sectors or something?
Why does flashing the stock ROM fix it? Is there something it does that our custom ROMs do not?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development