PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 08:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

thomlanphear is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question regarding WM6.5 and Diamond

I know probably a hundred people will say I should search for this but I have and I am still unsure so I thought it would be better to ask.

I want to upgrade my Diamond to Windows Mobile 6.5. I see that there are alot of different options and the ones I have download I think require me to unlock my phone in order to install them. Since my phone is owned by the Agency I work for if it get hosed because I screw something up guess who gets in trouble. What I am looking for is an install file similiar to what is provided by HTC when you upgrade your phone with the standard Sprint applications included. I know how to backup, install the rom from HTC and do all of that I am just very unsure about using these other custom builds where I have to do other things to the phone to be able to install to it.

So if anyone knows an upgrade to Windows 6.5 that I can just click and run that is what I am looking for. I know, search, but when you are unsure of what to search for it makes it more confusing. And the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

evertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuffevertec knows their stuff
Re: Question regarding WM6.5 and Diamond

You have to unlock your phone if you want to run 6.5 at this point. The only way you wouldn't is if sprint/htc decide to provide an official upgrade at some point in the future. Just download this ftp://ppcgeeks.com/Diamond/Users/Tob...20Unlocker.rar, run it, to unlock, then you'll be able to run any of the custom roms. Most of the custom roms come with the rom update utility which is almost just like the HTC provided roms. Just run custom_ruu.exe and you're good to go.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

Yeah, you'll need to unlock before you can flash any 6.5 rom currently. Also, http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=65921.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC DIAMOND
Carrier: Alltel

kwattro76 is keeping up the good workkwattro76 is keeping up the good workkwattro76 is keeping up the good work

Calkulin and Reesboy cook pretty good 6.5 Roms
Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlanphear View Post
I know probably a hundred people will say I should search for this but I have and I am still unsure so I thought it would be better to ask.

I want to upgrade my Diamond to Windows Mobile 6.5. I see that there are alot of different options and the ones I have download I think require me to unlock my phone in order to install them. Since my phone is owned by the Agency I work for if it get hosed because I screw something up guess who gets in trouble. What I am looking for is an install file similiar to what is provided by HTC when you upgrade your phone with the standard Sprint applications included. I know how to backup, install the rom from HTC and do all of that I am just very unsure about using these other custom builds where I have to do other things to the phone to be able to install to it.

So if anyone knows an upgrade to Windows 6.5 that I can just click and run that is what I am looking for. I know, search, but when you are unsure of what to search for it makes it more confusing. And the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

thanks
Thom ... I understand your caution about unlocking an agency device. Basically, you have very little to worry about, because the phone can be relocked at a future date, if you wish. Really, there won't be a need to do that ... most people, including your agency and even Sprint, won't even recognize that it's unlocked. That being said, let's address the 6.5 issue. This operating system is only just now being released by Microsoft, so it will be a while before there is an official upgrade, if ever. Around here, we have been working with it for several months, and progressing very nicely. There's really no need to wait on Microsoft, Sprint, HTC, etc ... just read the stickies at the beginning of this forum, and follow directions. Most everyone here, is willing to help within reason. We've all gone through the "should I, or should I not" syndrome ... we all fear, what we don't understand. So jump in, the water's more than fine, and you will see your phone come alive. You won't believe the difference, and will wonder why you ever hesitated. I do need to warn you, though ... you are at the threshold of an incurable addiction. Enjoy!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Telus

iammarkus is just getting started
Send a message via Skype™ to iammarkus

Hi all, my phone has been unloicked... Telus.. Installed ReeseBoy's 6.5 and loving it! Now want to fine tune it....
Old 05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I am waiting on MightyROM5 but I've found a stable enough 6.5 ROM for now in Mystery. It seems to run ok. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to flash a new ROM or not, but then I tried it out and fell in love with Titanium. I think it's cleaner than Manila and it even is sleeker.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Threadstarter

thomlanphear is just getting started

Thanks to everyone who answered. I went ahead and did it and your right pretty painless. Can't say I am crazy about 6.5. Looks nice but it doesn't wow me. But I am going to keep it and try it out for the weekend. Thanks for everything
Old 05-08-2009, 09:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

elmariachi is keeping up the good workelmariachi is keeping up the good work

I've been running Bear-Bonz Rom Version 2-3 Rhodium/Titanium - 6.5 - 2122 and loving it! Give it a try you wont be disappointed.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Evo and Hero

Vissago is a n00b

I've been running Groove Rom 4 6.5 and it's very stable and using the titanium customizer you can make your own custom tabs. Give it a shot..I think you'll like it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development