PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Whitestone
Carrier: Verizon

w0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
----> Custom T9 Dictionary Editing & Backup Solution!

For years (literally) I've been looking for an EASY and reliable way to edit, backup and restore my T9 dictionary. The myT9 app that installs with some SIPs is decent but there are a few inherent problems with it, for one it's got to be modified using your mobile device and the big issue is that you can not backup the custom words you've entered.

Poking around inside the OEM for one of the newer Diamond 2 keyboard releases I came across the HTCMDB.txt file and did a few tests to see if the common online phrases that HTC included could be used to supplement the standard English list of T9 words and I am thrilled to report that not only does it add those words to your dictionary but much to my surprise you don't even have to flash to get them to show up, in my latest test I didn't even soft reset.

So, grab the HTCMDB.txt file out of your Windows directory, open it up in Notepad (PC) add one word per line until you've got all your common words stored, save and write the file back to the phone -- keep a copy on your Desktop or Internal Storage, for future flashes and you'll never be bothered reloading all your names, slang, swears, etc. again!

Rebuilding my dictionary is THE single most time consuming thing I have to do after a flash, pretty stoked about not ever having to do it again.
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
The Source of Power
Pocket PC: EVO4G & EPIC4g
Carrier: Sprint

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to Trident
Re: ----> Custom T9 Dictionary Editing & Backup Solution!

Nice.
I also used this to delete a lot of the crap words & urls that appear when I don't want them.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
The Source of Power
Pocket PC: EVO4G & EPIC4g

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to Trident

An interesting find in that file.
I'm pretty sure that MS didn't create this list.
The names of some of the websites are not even close to SFW.
And there are warez & P2P sites too.
I'm deleting them- but this lends some credence to some of the posters in other threads who are concerned about things being inserted into the ROMs that might not be in the best interest of the end user.

FYI.
Mine did require a soft reset. Also, that file is "read only" and needs to be overwritten using something capable. It can't be done on the PC using Windows Explorer.

Last edited by Trident; 03-31-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

w0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'm actually looking forward to flashing now.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid

ajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuffajm144k knows their stuff

finally no more abc mode, thanks man.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

OhioState87 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to OhioState87 Send a message via MSN to OhioState87

Good work, w0rdie! Now maybe you can do a little flashing! lol
Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond

mprimeau is a n00b

where is the file that keeps all of the things i put in using mighty's rom? the xt9 my words info? thanks in advance. i would like to back this up and if possible edit it on my pc.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

flindil is a n00b

I back up eT9AsDb, eT9Cdb and eT9Rudb and after I flash I scroll into the windows directory rename the 3 files already there to 1,11 and 111 respectively and then copy my backups into the windows directory. Takes me less than a minute and when I softreset I have my entire huge custom word database. Your method would be ideal except that I don't see any of my custom words in there, so I would have to enter them all in and would have to add any new words I have manually?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond

mprimeau is a n00b

How do you rename the files? I don't see that option in Explorer...thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flindil View Post
I back up eT9AsDb, eT9Cdb and eT9Rudb and after I flash I scroll into the windows directory rename the 3 files already there to 1,11 and 111 respectively and then copy my backups into the windows directory. Takes me less than a minute and when I softreset I have my entire huge custom word database. Your method would be ideal except that I don't see any of my custom words in there, so I would have to enter them all in and would have to add any new words I have manually?
I've never been able to get that to work, I mean it overwrites but doesn't include my custom words.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development