PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Whitestone
Carrier: Verizon

w0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Case Study: Flashing to Stock BEFORE flashing Custom Roms

I tried to just let it ride and not flash to stock first... I regretted it.

I was surprised but it does seem to be necessary in some cases and just a best practice the rest of the time.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
N00b

ng12345 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjen View Post
I know we have ALL beat this into the ground in each custom ROM thread, but I wanted to provide an example that happened to me. Whether a flash to stock would have helped or not is irrelevant, I want to point out that files/settings can for whatever reason remain from previous flashes. (Cliff's at bottom for ADD peeps)

I had been running Frugal 1.1 for about a week. Last night I wanted to check out RSTG's SPB Mobile Shell 4/21 (I had been running SBP MS3 on Frugal and liked it, thought I'd try a ROM focused version.)

After I flashed RSTG's Rom, I did a hard reset on it. (I have done it this way for months. Essentially 2 hard resets each new rom.)

I ended up not liking the missing icons (no offense to RSTG, great ROM otherwise), so I wanted to try out Bear-Bonz Rhodium Rom. Did a Flash and subsequent hard reset. Again, I run into minor issues (Rhodium bugs that prevent productive use of the phone) and decide in the morning I'm gonna flash to Calkulin's 2501 4.6.2a ROM.

I flash and hard reset. Go through the day. By the end of the day I've decided I'd rather just stick with Frugal, so I flash and hard reset to Frugal 1.1.

Now HERE's the WHOLE point of this post. While I'm setting up Frugal 1.1, I get a text and the "sound" it makes is this...

zzz_My_Sounds_OEM - Customized Rom Sounds
- Ringer: Third Rock from the Sun Theme
- ActiveSync Connect: "Device Connected to activesync"
- ActiveSync DisConnect: "Device Disconnected from activesync"
- Text Messages: "You have a text message boss.."

That's from RSTG's Rom.

Cliff's:
Flash From Frugal to RSTG.
Hard Reset (Clear Storage)
Flash From RSTG to Bear Bonz
Flash From Bear Bonz to Calkulin's
Flash From Calkulin's to Frugal

Recieve text that plays Sound file from RSTG ROM.

Now I hope that I haven't made a fool of myself and find out that Frugal Rom uses the same default sounds as RSTG, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Anyway, I think it's a good eye-opener for everyone. Files or sections of the ROM seem to remain between flashes. So if you ARE having issues, take the advice of everyone on this forum and flash to stock/shipped ROM first, then flash your shiny new ROM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaa- View Post
Frugal uses whatever the default on the kitchen was. I believe I packed in the Rhodium Ringtones package as well. Not sure if it's the same default as RSTG.

if frugal uses default kitchen sounds -- rhodium ringtone includes that sound (i built my own rom with rhodium ringtone and that is what i get for text message as well)
Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjam View Post
It seem that this whole line of thought has started with the Diamond and Pro with the use of an application to hard reset the phone(clear storage). Maybe that is the issue in and of itself. I have always hard reset after installing a new rom, but I do crazy tricks with my fingers to do so. I have never ran into any issues whatsoever in that method. This is with a Mogul, Touch, Diamond, and Pro

It would also seem that the most plausible cause for that ringtone being on your phone is the active-sync case made by Zed
Yeah... don't use the clear storage thing. Do a normal hard reset with the buttons.

I flash all the time, sometimes like 10 times in a day if I am testing something, and I always hard reset with the buttons and I have only ever had to flash back to shipped 3 times.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Yeah... don't use the clear storage thing. Do a normal hard reset with the buttons.

I flash all the time, sometimes like 10 times in a day if I am testing something, and I always hard reset with the buttons and I have only ever had to flash back to shipped 3 times.
Requires mad skill to hard reset a diamond without the app!
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjam View Post
Requires mad skill to hard reset a diamond without the app!
Huh? Power down. Press vol down and hold, press enter button and hold, press power and hold.

That's it. Easy mode.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development