PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond, Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

alan7467 is keeping up the good workalan7467 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Attention all cooks chefs battery better on stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco27 View Post
Stock rom consumes less battery power then the average popular rom out there, i'm talking from 50 to a stable 75 ma versus 120 to 150 ma on cooked roms. I thought they should consume less and are enhanced for battery life.

Am i missing something here.
This may be your experience, but it certainly hasn't been mine. I've pretty consistantly gotten better battery life with custom roms.

I also get 50 75 ma drain on pretty much every problem free flash I have with MightyROM. Note that I got this same battery drain rate on stock before switching a long time ago. Yet I couldn't make it 12 hours on a single charge. Period.
TouchPal Keyboard

Pre running... errr 1.1...
Old 04-10-2009, 09:20 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

While my rom rom is "Tweaked and Loaded" most of the applications do not run until you invoke them. Therefore my roms should have better battery life. I too hated the battery life on the stock rom and most if not all custom roms have better life.

But if you got it, use it! They do have technology to help out with your battery-hog you've purchased. Transceiver (radio that must send/recieve to operate), Big backlit screen, etc. I have tweaked it, but I still realize I need to occassionally charge my battery throughout the day. I don't want to go back to a clamshell phone.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

brc64 is becoming a great contributor

I've noticed that my discharge rate varies pretty significantly depending on when I check it. If I've just finished doing something that uses data (update weather, browse the web, etc), it can be as high as 350-400mA. Other times I check, it's down around 90mA. On average, I think mine sits around 125-150mA discharge rate when I check it. I've noticed the same thing on pretty much every ROM I've tried, though.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
intx is the sexiest VIP
Pocket PC: Hero

intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx

Not sure which ROM you're running, nor what is running in the background.

With Wifi, bluetooth, beam off and Task Facade, Dred Sensor, G-Trigger, Pocketshield and Lumos auto adjust backlight running in the background constantly, my battery monitor reads on average idle:

Lowest with Lumos backlight on 1: 57 mh
Highest with Lumos backlight on 1: 66 mh.

And no, I'm not exaggerating it.

Donate if you like my work!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
N00b

ng12345 is just getting started

this is really interesting; though i would have hypothesized that the stock rom had a lower draw and better battery life than most of the custom roms anyway -- all of the roms i've seen have experimental mods done (rhodium or win 6.5) and many of them have extra background processes (s2u2, flip-it, g-sensor, quickgps, etc). also i wonder if compressed cabs/manilla requires more power to utilize. lastly, if they are offereing 1% battery indicator, i'm sure they poll the battery more often, again drawing more power.

the benefit i see in the custom roms is that they employ faster battery charging techniiques as well.

i get about a 2 day charge on my phone -- was using grooverom, then intx, and now fufu and may switch again.

my only issues with most of these packed roms is that they lag a great deal. a lot of the lag may have to do with manila -- i am on a 6.5 rom without manila and it is really speedy (fufu 4.5)
Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Pro
Carrier: verizon

2147 is a n00b

What program(s) are you guys using to measure charge/discharge rate (ma)?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 AM
intx is the sexiest VIP
Pocket PC: Hero

intx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIPintx is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to intx Send a message via Yahoo to intx

Battery Monitor, 2147.

I cabbed it up here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=17
Old 04-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

WarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWarAxe is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Hmm... I might have to agree with the original poster. I use custom ROMs for features... but not for the battery life.

I usually use grooveROM and they run me around 135-165ma (default light settings). Right now I'm using Fufu 4.6 and it's exactly 193ma (default light settings) at this moment (no activesync/charge).

I'm intrigued by intx and evertec's low numbers... perhaps I should give a looky.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:48 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond CDMA

crackity is a n00b

The phone radio plays a big deal with this too. Had you not upgraded your radio with the custom roms? I am just asking because the stock 2.0 included an updated radio....
Old 04-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

neelesh is becoming a great contributor

hmm im using intx's rom, and my current dischargecurrent is about 95 with the backlight fully on (not using lumos) and about 55 with the backlight dimmed about 57

Does lumo's significantly help with the battery life ( im just using the htc auto-backlighting)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development