PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Telus

bdusmc is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Components of a Kitchen and description of each?

Hey all,

I've tried to search for some info on this question and I keep coming up with useless results, so I figured I will just ask the question...

Can someone explain to me what is in the ROM folder of a kitchen?

The only conclusion that I have come to so far is that using a different "ROM" folder in conjunction with the same SYS and OEM folders seems to affect the "D" version number at boot up (the red text on the boot screen of the Diamond), which I presume is some kind of bootstrap file version or something. Some combinations of ROM/SYS folders will boot, some won't, which is why I figure it's a bootstrap file.

I have been experimenting with cooking my own ROMs and don't really feel comfortable releasing them to the wild until I understand what I am messing with, if you know what I mean.

If there is a tutorial online that someone can point me to, that would be awesome, but these are the two specific questions that I have:

ROM folder .nb Files:
What is the .nb file - I have X number of SYS versions downloaded to cook with, and the size of the .nb file varies anywhere from 2M to 8M, as does the filename (I have os.nb, base.nb, OS.nb.payload, to name a few).

XIP folder .rgu Files:
My guess is that it's a core framework for a registry hive... Is this used to construct the registry and then discarded? Is it usually tweaked by the chef's out there? What is XIP Porting?

Any insight into the core of ROM cooking would be invaluable... I would really like to experiment with this more seriously but up to this point it's all been a lot of trial and error... I could save myself a lot of frustration if I could find a good resource somewhere to read up on this!

Here's a huge thanks in advance!
BullDog
Old 03-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Re: Components of a Kitchen and description of each?

Here is a link to a nice article series from my one of my former devices, the htc shadow. This guys is pretty good chef and did a series on this. I was going to read this myself so your thread prompted me to look it up. thanks! Plus I'm sure others will chime in with good information for you. Try looking up Rstoyguy rom series and he has many tutorials. He has great material regarding this as well.

http://www.allshadow.com/2009/03/04/...es-part-three/
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:12 PM
you know ...
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

meatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to meatgel

+1 for Rstoyguy ... his tutorials made me feel like I really could do this stuff!

Sprint Evo 3D! ...

Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

I don't know why people people play with that folder.... It just has to be there... Focus on the user-expierence, the GUI, the program list. I don't care what version of HTC Album i've got, I just want htc album!!!

I just took a sharpie and wrote "sys 25443" on the back of my phone and I'm happy enough with that...

Right now all the young ones are saying, there goes that old grumpy guy again... lol...

Last edited by rstoyguy; 03-21-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Telus
Threadstarter

bdusmc is just getting started

hehe - I am not "PLAYING" with it grump, I just want to understand it.

BUT, I've been doing some reading of your stuff and that wiki that Riley pointed out, and am starting to understand and confirm my suspicions of why some of my ROMs will work and some won't.

Perhaps I should ask more about g'reloc, what it does and why it craps out with that error 105 sometimes...

I just saw a post on XDA Dev that said if the boot process hangs/stalls at the splash screen with the red text, then the XIP is good and you need to reloc... This is typically the failure that I get when I'm experimenting, and I want to understand why it happens.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ALL WINDOWS MOBILE 6.1+5+beta21319?
Carrier: SPRINT CUSTOM ROM BOYIE

BlackOceaN is just getting started
Red face Re: Components of a Kitchen and description of each?

Your the funny one tonight i know there goes the joke's lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
I don't know why people people play with that folder.... It just has to be there... Focus on the user-expierence, the GUI, the program list. I don't care what version of HTC Album i've got, I just want htc album!!!

I just took a sharpie and wrote "sys 25443" on the back of my phone and I'm happy enough with that...

Right now all the young ones are saying, there goes that old grumpy guy again... lol...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development