PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

roy_hu is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to brick-proof my phone before flashing to another language

I got my Diamond from Sprint. I'm planning to flash it with a ROM in a different language, and restore the phone later. I have some concerns before I pull the trigger.
  1. I only want to change the OS so that all the interfaces can be understood by someone that knows no English. I want to keep the Radio intact. Can I tell if the ROM only contains OS and that the Radio will not be overwritten?
  2. I'm not sure if the Rom I downloaded is for GSM or for CDMA. Most likely it's for GSM. Will I be screwed if I flash the Rom? If it's just that the programs cannot use the phone and I can restore it with, say, Juicy's rom, then I'm not worried.
  3. If the entire stack is overwritten, can I go back? What's the backup/restore plan?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community
Re: How to brick-proof my phone before flashing to another language

I don't know that much, but I'm pretty sure you'll brick the phone if you flash a CDMA phone with a GSM ROM and vice versa...so I'd avoid that.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: palm 650, palm 700, palm 750, HTC Mogul, HTC touch Pro

reggiep is a n00b

i agree! Your sprint phone is cdma and you cannot use it on a gsm network so you will trash your phone....everything else is moot! get a phone from att and try again!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

roy_hu is a n00b

My parents are visiting me from another country, and they don't speak any English. Using the computer analogy, I want to format the disk and install another operating system. How is a gsm ROM going to trash my cdma phone? Is it possible to rip a gsm rom to make it safe?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 AM
LMG - GEEK, VIP!!!
Pocket PC: HTC TP Pro 2 (From HTC Touch Diamond)

lawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on replawmangrant is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to lawmangrant Send a message via MSN to lawmangrant Send a message via Yahoo to lawmangrant Send a message via Skype™ to lawmangrant

A GSM rom uses different files, and well, there are a ton of reasons not to do it. You will brick your phone if you try to flash to a GSM rom.

And as for as making your phone "brick-proof", I do not think there is any way to ensure that.
Some of the best Chef's on here have bricked devices (but they usually can recover them).

If your parents need a phone for the visit, how bout a basic, flip phone or something. That would be cheaper than bricking a phone and having to replace it.
PLAN:
Everything450, w/ unlimited mobile to mobile[B]

Need Dropbox? Use my referral here!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community

If you only flash a GSM ROM containing only an OS (no Radio, SPL, etc) then you won't brick, it just won't work and you'll have to go into bootloader to flash back.

Still, it won't work.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: vzw

creedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to creedin Send a message via MSN to creedin

download a language pack... and use it as your default language

http://pocket-pc.penreader.com/

might cost a bit
Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

roy_hu is a n00b

Thank all for your help! I now understand the risk.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3Dâ„¢

Unknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_hu View Post
I got my Diamond from Sprint. I'm planning to flash it with a ROM in a different language, and restore the phone later. I have some concerns before I pull the trigger.
  1. I only want to change the OS so that all the interfaces can be understood by someone that knows no English. I want to keep the Radio intact. Can I tell if the ROM only contains OS and that the Radio will not be overwritten?
  2. I'm not sure if the Rom I downloaded is for GSM or for CDMA. Most likely it's for GSM. Will I be screwed if I flash the Rom? If it's just that the programs cannot use the phone and I can restore it with, say, Juicy's rom, then I'm not worried.
  3. If the entire stack is overwritten, can I go back? What's the backup/restore plan?
Thanks!

1.) Most if not all ROM's only affect the SYS ROM, and not the Radio ROM. I don't think there's an EASY way to tell. It is possible though.

2.) You can NOT flash GSM to CDMA or vise versa... that = brick.

3.) Not sure what you're asking for here... but you always should backup with either PIM backup or SPB backup before doing ANY flashing. You always lose programs/settings when flashing... this is unavoidable, the only thing you can do is have the cabs to install anything you need, and do a PIM backup or SPB backup for contacts, emails, appoinements, messages, etc.

Phone: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
ROM: Synergy Nightly with Own Mods
"If you have the stereo on, why would you turn up the volume on the TV?" 'Cause I like to party

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development