PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

ler329 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Telus ROM UPdate Question

I'm a CDMA user with Telus Mobility and there is a ROM UPgrade option at the HTC site. It says to backup all data as it will be lost during ROM installation, that's fine; but what about all my third party applications that have been installed? Will they all be lost?? Is it essdentially doing a hard reset??

What are the pros/ cons of this ROM update??

Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC SuperSonic
Carrier: Sprint

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Re: Telus ROM UPdate Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ler329 View Post
I'm a CDMA user with Telus Mobility and there is a ROM UPgrade option at the HTC site. It says to backup all data as it will be lost during ROM installation, that's fine; but what about all my third party applications that have been installed? Will they all be lost?? Is it essdentially doing a hard reset??

What are the pros/ cons of this ROM update??

Thanks
All non-radio related ROM updates will hard reset your phone, so all 3rd party data will be lost unless backed up. SOME radio updates will do the same, some won't. If it's a radio update combined with an OS update, then you still get a hard rest.

Audiovox Thera-Samsung i700-Verizon PPC 6600-Sprint 6700-Sprint Mogul-Sprint Touch-HTC Touch Diamond-HTC Hero-HTC SuperSonic (EVO)
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Any time you flash it will result in a hard reset. Whether you are upgrading the radio, splash images, or the rom image. The official updates do all three, usually the only good out of them is the radio, the other parts need to be messed with by some caffeine hounds...

Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
Any time you flash it will result in a hard reset. Whether you are upgrading the radio, splash images, or the rom image. The official updates do all three, usually the only good out of them is the radio, the other parts need to be messed with by some caffeine hounds...
When I flashed the Telus radio-only to my Diamond, it didn't hard reset. But then I read the radio thread, and it indicated that there are no guarantees.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: iPhone 4G
Carrier: Telus

SmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuffSmknJoe knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossman View Post
When I flashed the Telus radio-only to my Diamond, it didn't hard reset. But then I read the radio thread, and it indicated that there are no guarantees.
it depends on who released the radio and if they removed the hard reset from the customization.....

Juggalo i believe released a version of the newest telus radio that didnt hard reset.......didnt for me anyway...
Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 PM
mcom
Pocket PC: Panther 850e, RhodiumW500, BlackBerry8220
Carrier: Telus & Rogers

briggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIPbriggs is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Advantages of the official telus update you are talking about:
- You don't have to unlock your phone.
- Updates your system files and your touchflo 3d
- Updates your PRL (list of towers)
- Updates your "Radio ROM" (makes your cell phone radio reciever work better = more bars)
Disadvantages
- any applications and files not on your internal storage will be deleted
Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 AM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work

Quote:
All non-radio related ROM updates will hard reset your phone, so all 3rd party data will be lost unless backed up. SOME radio updates will do the same, some won't. If it's a radio update combined with an OS update, then you still get a hard rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmknJoe View Post
it depends on who released the radio and if they removed the hard reset from the customization.....

Juggalo i believe released a version of the newest telus radio that didnt hard reset.......didnt for me anyway...
Come on guys, stop giving out misinformation. A Radio only ROM will not hard reset your phone if the nbh is packaged in a custom RUU. Attached is a custom RUU that you can use to flash radios and boot splash images without a hard reset. All you gotta do is extract the RUU folder, and drop in your .nbh file. Then double click the custom RUU icon in the RUU folder, flash and enjoy. No hard reset.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DiamonCustomRUU.zip (611.4 KB, 6 views) Click for barcode!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indagroove View Post
Come on guys, stop giving out misinformation. A Radio only ROM will not hard reset your phone if the nbh is packaged in a custom RUU. Attached is a custom RUU that you can use to flash radios and boot splash images without a hard reset. All you gotta do is extract the RUU folder, and drop in your .nbh file. Then double click the custom RUU icon in the RUU folder, flash and enjoy. No hard reset.
I thought my info was pretty accurate!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development