PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

shinma6980 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noob Cook Questions

Alright, so I want to try my hand at cooking up a ROM. The main reason behind this is that there are some great ROMs here already but they take out certain programs that I want to keep in or little changes that I don't really like. I know that there are other (very few) people like me out there that wouldn't mind keeping the stock Sprint ROM but they want things like the FM Radio and faster SYS files.

So my first question is this: Is it possible to deconstruct a ROM and just replace/add certain files ie SYS files and whatnot? I know it is just what all programs would I need? Just BuildOS?

Second, instead of deconstructing the stock Sprint ROM would it just be easier to talk to some of the experienced cookers around here and work with them to modify their ROM for the options I want - which I guess would lead back to question 1.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community
Re: Noob Cook Questions

Yes and no. Depends if they've used methods of protection. Some have because it takes a lot of work and some people 'steal it' by doing just what you are asking, which is fine... but they don't give any credit to them.

Most things are open, and if you message a chef here, for the most part we'll be happy to help you. You don't only need buildOS, there are many tools in that folder that you do need though, now you need to learn how to use them.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Threadstarter

shinma6980 is a n00b

Thanks for the speedy response. I suppose I'll look around for the ROM that closest fits the profile of what I want and talk to the chef - which for now seems to be OMJ...
Old 01-14-2009, 12:03 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Good choice on OMJ's rom. You can follow the tutorial in my sig on Adding/Removing Programs and that should work for ya. That's what I did when I first got my diamond, took his rom, deleted some stuff I didn't use, and added some I do, and that makes for a "perfect rom".

Last edited by rstoyguy; 01-14-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

If you want a stock rom as a base, that's what the ppckitchen bases are.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:52 AM
AWOL
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro 2 and Samsung Moment

indagroove is keeping up the good workindagroove is keeping up the good work

You can easily decompile a stock rom with prepit, and you will find that it is comprised of three basic parts (in regards to the operating system -- there are other things like radio, spl, etc.. in stock roms that aren't decompiled by prepit), which are ROM, SYS, and OEM. Most kitchens have these already decompiled for you, so you can just run the kitchen and select what you want. If you decompile from stock, it's not that simple.

My most recent rom release also includes my OEM base available for download which is modified from the Stock Sprint rom. If you want to get familiar with rom cooking, and modifying your own base, you may want to look at my oem base, and try dropping it in a kitchen or two. I'm always happy to answer any questions along the way, via PM or in the thread (others may have the same questions, but are afraid to ask).

Happy cooking.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development